‘Hired Gun’

defcrew

Reaction score
Had not heard of that. Will check it out. Thx.

It's kind of funny what the life of a pro musician is like relative to what we might have envisioned it to be when we first got into this stuff. For lots of us it was in the halcyon days of guitar slinger super stardom such as Hendrix, Clapton, Allman, etc., when these folks were these larger than life characters whereas the reality for most working musicians is teaching lessons, doing sessions for perhaps jingles or playing at the mall doing Christmas carols...a hodge podge scramble. There are some cool interviews w GE Smith talking about his career and in the end he said he thought his best attribute was being able to get along with all sorts of folks....and probably somehow making himself be "the guy in the room" when somebody was looking for a guy.

Scooter2112

Reaction score
I saw this 4-5 days ago and thought it was good also. Interesting stories and interviews.

I'd also recommend the Foo Fighters documentary. Hard to believe they've been around for over twenty years already. Dave Grohl has an amazing history and I think he's a brilliant songwriter. LOVE those guys. :dude:

Bill Hicklin

Reaction score
Had not heard of that. Will check it out. Thx.

It's kind of funny what the life of a pro musician is like relative to what we might have envisioned it to be when we first got into this stuff. For lots of us it was in the halcyon days of guitar slinger super stardom such as Hendrix, Clapton, Allman, etc., when these folks were these larger than life characters whereas the reality for most working musicians is teaching lessons, doing sessions for perhaps jingles or playing at the mall doing Christmas carols...a hodge podge scramble. There are some cool interviews w GE Smith talking about his career and in the end he said he thought his best attribute was being able to get along with all sorts of folks....and probably somehow making himself be "the guy in the room" when somebody was looking for a guy.

The life of session guys falls somewhere in between. No fame, no groupies, no millions, but steady work and (if union) a pretty respectable income. In some cases more than respectable; Hal Blaine of 'wrecking crew' fame at one time had a Rolls, a yacht and a house in Beverly Hills.

burke

Reaction score
The Wrecking Crew doc was also good. Who knew that a hand full of musicians shaped our listening history.

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
I saw this 4-5 days ago and thought it was good also. Interesting stories and interviews.

I'd also recommend the Foo Fighters documentary. Hard to believe they've been around for over twenty years already. Dave Grohl has an amazing history and I think he's a brilliant songwriter. LOVE those guys. :dude:
Along with Cornell, the best writer to come from that era.

defcrew

Reaction score
The life of session guys falls somewhere in between. No fame, no groupies, no millions, but steady work and (if union) a pretty respectable income. In some cases more than respectable; Hal Blaine of 'wrecking crew' fame at one time had a Rolls, a yacht and a house in Beverly Hills.
Like anything else and once you get some gravitas and become the go to guy you've got it made. Much longer career than you're typical "star." Like the Wrecking Crew or the Funk Brothers in Motown or the Swampers at Muscle Shoals you can really get a scene totally sewed up. Heck, Duane Allman had to sleep outside Muscle Shoals studios in a pup tent before he ever really got his foot in the door.

A guy who played with us and, sadly, died this winter (RIP Chuck Cochran) had a brother who was really the muscle behind Lionel Richie's rise to stardom post Commodores. He, too, had a mansion in Beverly Hills and so forth but it can be hard to sustain now he is--as Randall Bramblett puts it so nicely in his song by the same title--"down with the rest of us who used to rule the world."

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Along with Cornell, the best writer to come from that era.
Yep. I would tend to agree. Huge hooks and a unique approach as to blending several instruments into a big sound.
I'd have to add Jerry Cantrell to that mix. He somewhat invented a sound.

Alice in Chains sound like Alice in Chains, and he wrote like 95% of it.

scott1970

Reaction score
Heck, Duane Allman had to sleep outside Muscle Shoals studios in a pup tent before he ever really got his foot in the door.
This is mentioned in "Muscle Shoals" which is the best music based film I've ever watched on Netflix. I've watched enough that my wife will automatically leave the room if I have it on.

I'll have to check out "Hired Gun".

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
I'd have to add Jerry Cantrell to that mix. He somewhat invented a sound.

Alice in Chains sound like Alice in Chains, and he wrote like 95% of it.
Agreed, but Cornell and especially Grohl had a talent for melody that was insane. I think Cantrell's shining moments were in grooves -- nothing lesser about that, mofo could make you shake your ass like no other heavy guitarist/songwriter.

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I would've said his shining moments were the crazy harmonies. None of the other guys had those 'sick beatles' harmonies that twisted your guts.

Never even really noticed or liked harmonies much until I heard Alice. It was like a wall of vocals sometimes.

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
I would've said his shining moments were the crazy harmonies. None of the other guys had those 'sick beatles' harmonies that twisted your guts.

Never even really noticed or liked harmonies much until I heard Alice. It was like a wall of vocals sometimes.
A great point. When I saw them in April of 93, as good as the musicianship was at that show, what blew me away was that they nailed the harmonies, live. That's no little trick. It was like his voice and Layne's melded together, Layne rougher and gruffer, with Jerry floating on top, but making one big sound.

But Cantrell's riffs were head-and-shoulders above Grohl's or Cornell's. The latter two, the riffs were the bed for either great melodies or great lyrics. But as much as I get the lyrics to, say, "Rooster", that goddamned riff, it just kills.

tazzboy

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I wonder when this doc will be aired on TV?

Scooter2112

Reaction score
I watched the one about Anvil the other night. Kinda sad in a way, but at the same time... Maybe a true friend could do the heavy lifting and suggest that it's about time to shut it all down.

Mr Insane

Reaction score
Hired Gun was both entertaining and informative to watch.

My respect for Alice Cooper rose greatly. I never cared about or listened to Billy Joel, but now I despise the guy.

PapaSquash

Reaction score
I watched it last night. it was good. And yes Billy Joel comes off as a total dick. Not just what was said about him - they had footage of him being proud of his dickishness.

As for Anvil, I'm torn between it being tragic and being happy for them just keepin on and never giving up.

Latest Threads