‘77 Les Paul Custom w maple board- NGD

XpensiveWino

Reaction score
Cool guitar!

Philadelphia Luthier Supply is where I usually start my searches. You can go up in price and quality from there, but PLS is a decent starting point.

Also, this is a pretty cool corner of the forum. Someone may well pop up and offer you some goods. I was humbled by members' generosity when I brought home a '78 Custom that needed some goods to bring it to its proper self. A few members came through (free or next to nothing) with period correct parts.

I'll check my parts bin. I think the only period correct item I might have kicking around is a poker chip. Let me see what I've got in there.

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
View attachment 414774
Just got this ‘77 Les Paul Custom in natural with maple fretboard. Any recommendations for finding correct appearing black pickguard, poker chip, and pickup rings?
Superb specimen you have there, congratulations!

I’d also recommend Philadelphia Luthier Tools & Supplies

Last edited:

Macs69

Reaction score
Thanks all! Pretty cool story behind it. The guy I got it from had it since he was 13 years old. It has sat in the case for the last 20 years. Can't wait to get some new strings on her (no close stores open yesterday).

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
no reason to find black guard etc. etc.

they actually made a fairly large number of maple boards but they were and are not popular, you should probably sell this quickly and cheaply........

I will send you my shipping info.

thanks,

HCT

:fingersx:

DarrellV

just Livin' the Dream....
Premium Member
Reaction score
my goodness I love maple boarded LPs, very nice score.
I thought I might find you here! In the corner.... drooling! :laugh2:

I was gonna page you but you beat me to it...

• Love
Reactions: MSB

MSB

Reaction score
I thought I might find you here! In the corner.... drooling! :laugh2:

I was gonna page you but you beat me to it...
yep, got a puddle, just like my dog at dinnertime.

Just something about them, pure hotness. I know this is MLP, but RDs with maple boards look pretty darn good too.

Macs69

Reaction score
So, regarding plastic, I see that I can get most items that are Gibson branded. Should I go that route with regard to black plastic? Or is it the same stuff that PLS would have? Are the pickup rings "low" height? And, would a current bwbwb pickguard fit the '77, or should I hunt down one from a 70's model? How about the gold pickguard bracket itself? Sorry for all the questions... I just want to do the right thing for the guitar instead of half-assing it...

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
those new pickguards will not line up (screw holes) with your existing holes etc. etc.

someone here might know of a specific line (historic etc. etc.) that will, but I do not.

as long as you do not mind having a second hole under there, it does not matter.....

someone here might have a 70's guard, but it will probably not be cheap.........

pickguard off.

Macs69

Reaction score
Thank you. I definitely don't want to put any non-stock holes in the guitar. I just bought this off of eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/362781182765

The pickguard seems like the hardest part of the equation. Worse case scenario is that it doesn't work, and I send it back or trash it...

Last edited:

Macs69

Reaction score
Just got new strings on it... Man, it sounds lovely! I've had a bunch of Les Pauls including R9's, R8's, R0's, Customs, etc, and this guitar would hang with any of them.

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
you do know that guard is not really for/from a 70's LP's????

my bet is, it will not fit.

It would be hard to actually find a 70's guard that did fit perfectly........