‘56 Inspired LP Build

nuance97

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clean work man, it looks great! Please detail your spray process, I want to build a goldtop but in my research, getting the perfect Gibson Les Paul match is somewhat elusive.
I don’t have one yet :lol: I’ve got a buddy who sprayed one using Reranch gold. I’m gonna probably go that route

Kyser

Reaction score
Thank you for posting this - looks fantastic - Inspiring! Can you share whose plans and/or templates you are using? Thanks!

nuance97

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for posting this - looks fantastic - Inspiring! Can you share whose plans and/or templates you are using? Thanks!
It’s my plan. Pretty much the same plan in the sticky thread at the top of the Luthier’s Corner. Scott Wilkinson, Frank Pine, and myself collaborated to make the plan. I had to modify it to be a ‘56 which are just a few minor changes (P-90 pickup routes and 3 way toggle cavity...that’s about it really).

Marshall50w

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing the story of this build. Amazing patience you have and the attention to detail.
Looking foreword to seeing what you select in terms of hardware, especially pickups and to hear how it sounds.

TM1

Reaction score
Nice work!! One question.., did you coat the Trussrod with Beeswax like Gibson did back then so the Hide Glue wouldn't stick from the maple spline. A sticking spline will render the rod useless. When Norlin took over and they were looking for ways to cut costs/corners, they decided to put a rubber or plastic sheath over the rod so glue wouldn't stick to it. Sadly it killed the transfer of string vibrations up and down the neck to some degree..

nuance97

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice work!! One question.., did you coat the Trussrod with Beeswax like Gibson did back then so the Hide Glue wouldn't stick from the maple spline. A sticking spline will render the rod useless. When Norlin took over and they were looking for ways to cut costs/corners, they decided to put a rubber or plastic sheath over the rod so glue wouldn't stick to it. Sadly it killed the transfer of string vibrations up and down the neck to some degree..
I used paraffin wax

valvetoneman

Reaction score
That's beautiful work, bloody love that goldtop, I'd love to get close to that ageing, I need a 54 next to practice on

Shea

Reaction score
View attachment 499991
Cook up some hide glue
View attachment 499992
3/16” nut spacer installed and waxed so the glue doesn’t glue it down
View attachment 499993
Blocks super glued all around the fretboard so it cannot slip during glue up. The tape insures I can pop them right off after the glue sets
View attachment 499994
View attachment 499995
mask off tenon so glue squeeze out doesn’t get all over it
View attachment 499996
View attachment 499997
glued
View attachment 499998
time to carve
View attachment 499999
Primary facets cut
View attachment 500000
Rough shape complete
View attachment 500002
Headstock shape finalized

That’s where we are today. Hope to set the neck in coming days
Your attention to detail is incredible! Thanks for sharing! I'm excited to see how turns out! I wonder, how do you trim the edges off of the sides of the neck to get flush with the fretboard binding?
View attachment 499991
Cook up some hide glue
View attachment 499992
3/16” nut spacer installed and waxed so the glue doesn’t glue it down
View attachment 499993
Blocks super glued all around the fretboard so it cannot slip during glue up. The tape insures I can pop them right off after the glue sets
View attachment 499994
View attachment 499995
mask off tenon so glue squeeze out doesn’t get all over it
View attachment 499996
View attachment 499997
glued
View attachment 499998
time to carve
View attachment 499999
Primary facets cut
View attachment 500000
Rough shape complete
View attachment 500002
Headstock shape finalized

That’s where we are today. Hope to set the neck in coming days
Your attention to detail is incredible! Thanks for sharing! I wonder, how do you trim the edges of your neck flush to the binding on either side of the fretboard? Thanks Nuance! I cant wait to see the finished guitar!!

nuance97

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your attention to detail is incredible! Thanks for sharing! I'm excited to see how turns out! I wonder, how do you trim the edges off of the sides of the neck to get flush with the fretboard binding?

Your attention to detail is incredible! Thanks for sharing! I wonder, how do you trim the edges of your neck flush to the binding on either side of the fretboard? Thanks Nuance! I cant wait to see the finished guitar!!
I cut it away with the bandsaw fretboard facing up. It’s tricky, and great care must be taken. I stay about 1/16” away from the edge of the binding, and then sand the remaining away with my Ridgid oscillating belt sander (a tool that I will never stop recommending).

nuance97

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is an interesting template, is it adjustable for variations in the top carve? How do you determine angle? Because you use the spot-face bit with a long guide pin I'm guessing that the angle is less critical.
Using my duplicator there’s little variance in top carves, and if you do the topographical carve method there’s honestly plenty of consistency to guarantee that the template will work IMO. I mean if you are careful and methodical which you definitely should be.

I determined the 7-7.2° angle I use by measuring a vintage LP after pulling out the pots. I used a level app on my phone set inside the cavity after zeroing it out on the flat plane of the back of the guitar

pavel

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please keep it coming Daniel, your build thread is like an early Christmas present.

... and then sand the remaining away with my Ridgid oscillating belt sander (a tool that I will never stop recommending).
It looks like Ridgid is discontinuing it. Mine is still holding up well but I wonder if it's time to get some spare parts.

Roxy13

Reaction score
Yes, the Ridgid one is discontinued and people are reporting everywhere you can't get any parts for it. Here I waited to get one until now hoping for a BF sale, but it's no longer available at Home Depot. So if I do want it now I have to pay more and when it breaks, that might be the end of it.

So now I'm debating Grizzly, Wen and Triton instead. Triton at least has a cast aluminum table instead of plastic. All of them are smaller than the Ridgid and none have a slot for a miter gauge. Not sure what to do here on a spindle sander.

nuance97

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, the Ridgid one is discontinued and people are reporting everywhere you can't get any parts for it. Here I waited to get one until now hoping for a BF sale, but it's no longer available at Home Depot. So if I do want it now I have to pay more and when it breaks, that might be the end of it.

So now I'm debating Grizzly, Wen and Triton instead. Triton at least has a cast aluminum table instead of plastic. All of them are smaller than the Ridgid and none have a slot for a miter gauge. Not sure what to do here on a spindle sander.
I really hate that. I’m gonna go look for another one and buy a spare just to put up for when this one dies

Roxy13

Reaction score
I really hate that. I’m gonna go look for another one and buy a spare just to put up for when this one dies
Yes, I could get one from Walmart or Amazon and buy a warranty. Then if it can't be repaired, wondering if they would have to refund me?

Latest Threads