‘15 SG standard nut cavity

Utmost

Reaction score
Nut cavity peek on a ‘15 SG standard. The brass one was replaced with bone nut before I got it. It popped out last string change so I thought I would show y’all the inside. Can see the “binding rails” I’ll call them, the 2 holes for the old adjustable nut, and board thickness.

049E2060-A53D-4450-9387-E5362B60E341.jpeg
CF1819C3-B4C9-4E60-93AA-237C0A2748F0.jpeg

jcsk8

Reaction score
Nice pic. Board is thick and the rails are new to me. Didn´t know they´re using that.

ARandall

Reaction score
It's a great tool for mass production. You clip it into place the same way you would slot flooring into each other. The binding needs goop to make it stick, so the ridge allows it to be held in place while the stuff dries.

arcticsg

Reaction score
As an owner of 5 Gibbys with zero fret nuts, thanks for the pics! ;)

arcticsg

Reaction score
interesting, to me the Ti nut on mine is one of the best things Gibsons done since I started buying their guitars
The 2015s nuts were brass and would wear prematurely. In 2016 they switched to titanium. Gibson is real good about sending out the titanium replacement for the brass nuts at no charge :)

LocoTex

Reaction score
Does it have the wide neck like the other 2015's?

Edit: And they really did use some great, thick rosewood for the fretboards that year.

Utmost

Reaction score

Edit: And they really did use some great, thick rosewood for the fretboards that year.

Yes the wide neck

arcticsg

Reaction score

Yes, wide, thin neck. I know they're not appreciated by the masses, but the 2015 SG Standards rock!

moreles

Reaction score
I avoided the 2015s and so have not had to replace the zero fret nut, but I have heard that you can't just drop in a bone replacement because the break point on the zero fret is not precisely the same location as the front of a conventional nut. Presumably, whoever changed yours placed it properly. If so, I think it's a major improvement, as the adjustable nut is a legacy of the Henry J regime's drive to eliminate as much fine fitting and handwork from production as possible. And adjustable nut is a cruder means of approximating a really proper nut job. It's better than a hack job done by hand -- is is common now -- but worse than a really good job, which also needs to be done by hand (thus far). I respect that some people like them, as there are certainly worse nuts out there. Personally, I just don't think they're good enough for a $2K guitar.

MSB

Reaction score
^ you can always get the tusq XL nut that looks more the part, but the TI one (was already replaced on mine) is the only USA Gibson I can think of, out of quite a few, that I didn't have to do something to the nut. It might not look the part, but the strings don't bind and you can adjust it in seconds... quite frankly, I think putting a bone nut on is taking a step back on these, you've already thrown "accuracy" out the window with these, why throw "usability?"

Utmost

Reaction score
You know I say bone nut was installed as a replacement because that’s what the ad said, but I am new to this and it could actually be a tusq or some other material. I’ve only played like 5 different electrics but this one seems to be set up well. For me at least. I’ll post a pic of the nut when I get home and see if someone can ID it for me.

MSB

Reaction score
You know I say bone nut was installed as a replacement because that’s what the ad said, but I am new to this and it could actually be a tusq or some other material. I’ve only played like 5 different electrics but this one seems to be set up well. For me at least. I’ll post a pic of the nut when I get home and see if someone can ID it for me.
can you see two adjustment set screws from the top?

I would guess someone replaced the whole zero fret nut, but your pics would determine it

here's the tusq XL I was talking about
TUSQ_XL_Adjustable_Nut_for_Gibson.html

and brass vs. TI

Attachments