‘Balloon boy’ parents sentenced to jail time

Tsukiyomi

Reaction score
'Balloon boy' parents get jail time - Crime & courts- msnbc.com

‘Very, very sorry’ dad to see 30 days behind bars; mom gets 20 days

2009-12-23t175557z_01_btre5bm1dtp00_rtroptp_3_balloon.hmedium.jpg

FORT COLLINS, Colo. - The parents who carried out the balloon boy hoax were sentenced to jail Wednesday and given strict probation conditions that forbid them from earning any money from the spectacle for four years.

Richard Heene was sentenced to 90 days in jail, including 60 days of work release that will let him pursue his job as a construction contractor while serving his time. His wife, Mayumi, was sentenced to 20 days in jail.

Richard Heene choked back tears as he said he was sorry, especially to the rescue workers who chased down false reports that his 6-year-old son had floated away in a balloon on Oct. 15. It was a stunt designed to generate attention for a reality TV show.

“I do want to reiterate that I’m very, very sorry. And I want to apologize to all the rescue workers out there and the people that got involved in the community. That’s it,” said Richard Heene, whose wife did not speak at the hearing.

Larimer County District Judge Stephen Schapanski then ordered Heene to begin a 30-day jail term on Jan. 11, delaying the start of the sentence for two weeks so he can spend the holidays with his family. Schapanski allowed Heene to serve the remaining 60 days of his jail term under work release, meaning he can work during the day but spend his nights in jail.

The Heenes’ probation will be revoked if they are found to be profiting from any book, TV, movie or other deals related to the stunt.

“This, in simple terms, was an elaborate hoax that was devised by Mr. and Mrs. Heene,” the judge said.

The Heenes pleaded guilty to charges that they carried out the balloon hoax, with deals that called for up to 90 days in jail for the husband and 60 days for his wife.

Schapanski ordered Mayumi Heene to serve 20 days in jail after her husband completes his sentence. Her time served is flexible — she can report to jail on 10 weekends, for example — so the children are cared for, the judge said.

Prosecutors asked for the maximum sentence for the husband, saying that a message needs to be sent to promoters who attempt to carry out hoaxes to generate publicity. Chief Deputy District Attorney Andrew Lewis also asked for full restitution to reimburse authorities for the cost of investigating the hoax — an amount that could exceed $50,000.

Hamtone

Reaction score
idiots....

"Im very sorry"? what a douche

But even know that I dont like them, in the end they serve their time, they paid their debt to society..douchebags

Hamtone

Reaction score
If you think about it, filing a false report is all they have

Jason

Reaction score
Deserve everything they got. What the [email protected]£ were they thinking
...oh wait a minute they wasn't thinking.

I assure you, they most certainly were thinking. That's what's got everybody so pissed off. This was a planned, deliberate attempt exploit media sensationalism for fame and fortune.

Silverbursted

Reaction score
They got what they deserve. I feel bad for the kids, they were just "doing it for the show". Pitiful!!!

Jason

Reaction score
That's it?

What kind of punishment would be appropriate, exactly? Yeah, they're douches, but it's not like they hurt anybody physically. I believe they're still discussing whether or not they'll have to pay for the "rescue".

Yeah, the event seems huge because it was all over the national news but you have to take a look at what they actually did. There are kids being beaten and molested all over the country, but it's just not broadcast on live television. Just a little perspective, just saying maybe we should save our anger for shit that really deserves it.

peter679

Reaction score
They deserved worse... the kids deserve better parents than this... sad isn't it.

P

ledfree

Reaction score
I assure you, they most certainly were thinking. That's what's got everybody so pissed off. This was a planned, deliberate attempt exploit media sensationalism for fame and fortune.
True enough. What I mean is wasting the emergency services time and putting other in potential harm.

Hamtone

Reaction score
I can bet you that these parents (yes I also think they rank high on the douche scale) fail in being the worst compared to many other parents.

I think those 2 who crashed the white house event should be brought up on charges...HUGE ones

Latest Threads