I think the problem is you end up loading the skunk stripe with all the force from the truss rod if you use a traditional one.
I have a plan for dealing with that though.
I think ive figured out how I'm gonna do it. I'll post a thread when I'm underway.
I'm thinking of attempting this with my next build. Anyone try it?
I'm talking Fender style one piece with no fretboard. I know I'll need a pretty thick blank but I think it would be really cool to try.
My bud hit me up about making him a Telebird body a few weeks back. The wife was working this weekend so I went up to the shop and was able to get the body made in one shot. This is my favorite kind of project, one where I don't have to do any sanding.
Very nice walnut body blank sourced from...
I really like the LMII stuff, not pinky at all
Also, the new neck looks better but I still think you'd be better off making that section of the neck a block and carving it by hand. You still really don't have enough material there to make a proper volute and transition.
OP, Looking at your headstock transition I don't think you've left enough material there to clean anything up. It looks like less material that a typical transition. I would replace the last inch of the neck profile with just a block and finish the transition with a rasp/file. I've seen a lot of...
It worked nicely, but like I said in the OP there really isn't the Z axis you'd need to use for guitar building IMO.
More progress! I did the bulk of the sanding before I took these pics but there isn't really anything fun to show from that process.
Tremolo centered in the route and holes...