Zzounds vs Sweetwater

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by penguinchit, Dec 14, 2017.

1. scott 351 wins

scott 351 wins Senior Member

I live in Illinois and have ordered a Boss pedal from Sweetwater and received the pedal the next day. Holy shit that was fast!!

2. NorlinBlackBeauty

NorlinBlackBeauty Senior Member

I've never made a larger pricey order (mostly strings) with Sweetwater, yet they treat me like I have. A lot to be said for that. Musicians Friend? You are just a number. Never ordered for Zzsounds. Based on what I read here, don't think I will.

My favorite is the banana Laffy Taffy Sweetwater sometimes sends.

3. Uncle Remus

Uncle Remus Silver Supporter

20171222_110205.jpg
    Looks like I have been a good boy this year.

penguinchit and JonCanfield like this.
  4. GuitarMechanic

GuitarMechanic Senior Member

HA HA HA HA
    Same here
    Agree
    Sweetwater has by far some of the best customer service I have ever had the pleasure to deal with

VancoD likes this.
  5. VancoD

VancoD Junior Member

lol - you ordered 2 guitars and made a thread because they didn't show up on the same day??

Talk about first-world problems.....

MikeyTheCat and Mr Insane like this.
  6. Mr Insane

Mr Insane Senior Member

Just got out of Sweetwater's showroom. Demoed a Friedman Be-od, was so impressed with the pedal and the service, I bought it on the spot. The manager even took off $20 for me driving 2 hours, without me even asking.

DagerOne, JonCanfield and CRobbins like this.
  7. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

I think the slow Sweetwater shipment depends more on the quality of the delivery service where you live than with the store. Here, FedEx is spot on getting items delivered on time. UPS maybe. USPS almost never. But again, it depends on where you live which delivery service is more reliable.

8. CRobbins

CRobbins Premium Member

I've ordered a bunch of stuff from Sweetwater. Never had a problem. :dude::dude:

9. penguinchit

penguinchit Senior Member

WRONG!!!

It was one guitar and one hard case.

That is one of the benefits of living in the first world...

VancoD likes this.
  10. Mossman

Mossman Junior Member

I’ve purchased three guitars and other gear from Sweetwater, and I think they’re the gold standard of online guitar retailers.

I never buy anything on the website. I always call and talk to a sales rep (that goes for MF, GC, Zzounds, etc., as well) and Sweeetwater has always beaten the coupon and ‘doorbuster’ deals of the other retailers.

I like the fact that I can pick the guitar I want.... As far as I know, Sweetwater is the only one who offers that.

I also like the fact that the guitar gets a setup and inspection before it ships out. Again, I’m not aware of any other major online guitar retailer who does that.

One time, I had to exchange a guitar that had a wiring issue (may have gotten whacked in transit and suffered a broken solder joint or something) and Sweetwater got the replacement in my hands in two days, along with the return label for the first guitar. Everybody else will wait until they receive the defective guitar before shipping out the replacement.

Also, I find dealing with my Sweetwater rep to be a VIP experience... No matter how much money I’m spending, I get treated like I’m their only customer. They always return my calls quickly, and they just make you feel like they care about your satisfaction, more than your money.

Often times when I call other places, they act like I’m keeping them from their smoke break.

Also, Sweetwater is one of the last online retailers left who don’t charge sales tax (unless you live in Indiana).

About the only thing I could complain about is the shipping, but I don’t blame Sweetwater for that, I blame FedEx. Sweetwater has never sat on any of my orders. I usually get a tracking number a couple of hours after the transaction is complete. But in FedEx’s hands, I’ve seen guitars languish in a distribution center for days!

One time, the package sat in a DC that was an hour’s drive away for 72 hours!

Otherwise, I have zero complaints about Sweetwater, and recommend them to everybody.

FennRx and Sp8ctre like this.
  11. NoRythm_LP

NoRythm_LP Platinum Supporter

LOL Zzounds...

12. Sp8ctre

Sp8ctre Senior Member

Sweetwater has my business because of the care they give to the customer.

I deal with the same guy every time I buy. He knows what I like and he always gives me a great discount.
    He also calls to see if I need anything and gives me a heads up when there is an insane price on an item.

I have only returned one guitar to them and was allowed to do so without paying return shipping or paying
    them back for the free shipping. There was no issue, I just didn't like it. But due to me being a many times
    repeat buyer they let me slide...

13. stiff fingers

stiff fingers Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member

Don't underestimate the importance of candy. My rep knows what candy my wife likes, my brand new burst arrived with a pound of atomic fireballs. The "boss" did not find any reason to return the guitar.

JonCanfield likes this.
  14. wildhawk1

wildhawk1 Senior Member

vs. Rondo Music

Was looking at Agile guitars. Heard great things about their LP styles over the years.

But...

Who are they, where are they, etc? Much like Zzounds or others that have little to no face in the public and serve little more than a place to process product from point A to C.

Credit to SW that survives in a world full of self serve for the cheapest price.

Another member posted how they inspected Gibson shipments and rejected guitars BEFORE they made it to a customers home.

Think most places do that?

We're not talking plumbing supplies.

There's alot to like about SW.

Mr Insane likes this.
  15. Hanover Fist

Hanover Fist Senior Member

I've placed orders with practically all the online vendors, and have had only one problem. I bought a Gibson Midtown through Music123 via Amazon, and it was delivered with a cracked neck. I notified them immediately, and they emailed a return label. However, even after several phone calls, it took Music123 about three weeks to issue my refund, and only after I filed a complaint with Amazon.

16. kherman

kherman Senior Member

CITES!
    The Dinky has a rosewood fretboard. So, it had to clear customs.
    Minnesota's part of CANADA right? :laugh2:

penguinchit likes this.
  17. fry

fry Senior Member

Music 123 is Guitar Center/Musician’s Friend

FennRx likes this.
  18. One-Eyed Jack

One-Eyed Jack Junior Member

I know that Zzounds ships from a variety of warehouses, a new EVM12L speaker got to me in NV in one day. I think it was shipped from Reno. The shipping location may depend on the item that you order.

penguinchit likes this.
  19. FennRx

FennRx Senior Member

And Woodwind and Brasswind. And they used to be involved with AMS too.

20. SpawnedX

SpawnedX Senior Member

I am pretty sure we discussed this in the Gibson Les Paul group on Facebook, but this annoyed me about AMS as well. I have the Epiphone LE Slash Anaconda Burst pre-ordered through them. Estimated ship date was 12/8. 12/8 came and went and nothing. I gave it the weekend because it was just an estimated date, still nothing. Had to reach out via multiple reps before they told me that the ship date was pushed back to 2/23. Now, I don't blame them for that, because they are at Epiphone's mercy in this instance, but they damn well should have followed up with me to let me know of the updated release date.