Zzounds vs Sweetwater

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by penguinchit, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Bigfoot16

Bigfoot16 Member

That is pretty rare. My last guitar from them was sent overnight.

2. nicholas322

nicholas322 Member

Zzounds does not inspect their guitars before the ship them so a lot of lez pauls have to go back. the problem is with FedEx. I will never buy something that is shipped with them. I only use UPS!

3. Warren Weldon

Warren Weldon Peters Creek , Alaska Premium Member

I will give you an idea of why I will only buy from SW. I live 30 miles North of Anchorage AK. Last week I decide I would buy myself a '57 Tweed Re-issue Fender Custom Pro 1x15", 2499.99 at both SW and ZZ . I had 30 minutes to make it to a Dr. Apt only 5 minutes away. It was 11:30am Alaska time when I called SW and got Dan Overstreet Sales rep.in less than 10 minutes he had all my information and had me approved for way more than I needed interest free for 36 months on Fender and 48 on Hartke gear.
    I made it to the Dr. with time to spare!
    They gave me free shipping and I got the amp in less than 21 hours! Via Fedex. Then on Wednesday at 4:30 PM AK time I ordered again from Dan O. A Hartke LH1000W amp, HD 410 cab and HD210 cab. Since it was a huge heavy order they they split the shipping me but they paid the lions share and the very next day I received the HD410 the Largest of the 3 them! I checked tracking and noticed they picked the order up at 9:??PM SW time zone!! That night! On Friday, I received the other two! One hell of a week!
    On Saturday I received an auto-mail for feedback with two managers thanking for the order(s) and their email address to respond, also was the owners e-mail I gave Both Dan and SW a glowing review but I sent it to the owner, Chuck Surack , on Sunday I received an e-mail directly from him.
    I had ordered the Fender for myself and the Hartke gear to duplicate the Rig of a Professional Bass Player that is sponsored by Hartke and only uses their gear. When I build I duplicate the rig down to the pedal board arrangement, if they use any. I only build for professional musicians that make their living with their music.
    I would have paid through the nose for shipping through ZZ as they ship for free if you are in the Lower 48, but not to Alaska and certainly not for orders that weigh 72 pounds like the Fender (21 pounds of packaging 51 of amp!) or the over 130 pounds total of the Hartke rig , plus I like SWr's extra warranty on top of the manufacturers and I like the candy! Hey I got diabetes they may save my life one day!!!
    The gear was packaged beyond Great and both sound incredible. I plan to order my Aquila bass rig from them after I get done with a couple instruments on my bench. I'am building my last 5 instruments then everything is going and my shop is going to be converted to my studio!! It will be filled with SW gear, PERIOD ! If that is sitting on an order I never would have noticed maybe the shipper has the blues because of Christmas, I have a Joe Bonamassa Guitar coming through USPS and it has been in the system since Saturday!! (christmas)
    I also want to give a plug for Chicago Music Exchange via Reverb they have sent me four guitars all UPS ground but everything ground only goes to Seattle then by plane to Alaska. The last two guitars went Fedex 2day Air for $40 and the other two Basses came for 85.00 because of the size of the box is much larger than that a Strat is Shipped in but that's OK because usually UPS and FEDEX totally and completely RAPE you if your shipping to Alaska.
    I shipped the LP that's my Avatar last Sept from Nashville while I was there and it came USPS Express for 165.00 and took less than 24 hours. It showed up a few hours after I made it home from my flight. Given a choice I only use USPS Express for the Acoustic Guitars I repair. The ones I build I hand deliver and hang around for a few days in case adjustments are needed. I treat it as a vacation and a chance to see some great music. It also gets me the hell out of Alaska for awhile and I get a chance search for Piper Cub parts and go on guitar safaris!!!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
    Mr Insane and penguinchit like this.
  4. Warren Weldon

Warren Weldon Peters Creek , Alaska Premium Member

Some manufacturers don't allow them to unless it is a repack or used or demo item. Not saying that was a factor but it is a fact.

5. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Senior Member

I have done a lot of business with Sweetwater, and the only time I had to wait, was when I ordered an item they were out of, and it even said so when looking up the price. I waited about 3 weeks for my 15 watt 65 Princeton Reverb reissue w/12" Cannabis Rex in lacquered tweed, but it was worth the wait. The are normally out the door by the next day if it is in stock, and I live near Seattle, 2-3 days. 1600-PrinceRev65FSR_detail3.jpg

CRobbins likes this.
  6. Rik shafer

Rik shafer Junior Member

I order from both of them and I have been basically pleased . Zzounds is fine. Sweetwater does send candy and they always have a rep call to make sure things are OK. It actually gets annoying they are so attentive with the personal service stuff LOL

jlu52 likes this.
  7. Metal Guru

Metal Guru Member

Wait, what? You bought a guitar without a hard case? Your a member here too?
    WTH? :)
    As for Sweetwater, I've noticed that they're shipping has slowed down a bit. their customer service and after care more than makes up for it though, IMO.
    Hope your son enjoys the Dinky. Your a good dad for getting it for him.

8. penguinchit

penguinchit Senior Member

I knew Grandma wanted to get him something he'd like and use...Otherwise, it would've been in a case!

jlu52 likes this.
  9. Mr Insane

Mr Insane Senior Member

Sweetwater is just 2 hours away from me, so whenever I order from them it usually arrives unbelievably fast.

jlu52 likes this.
  10. Dilemma

Dilemma Loud Pipes Ruin Naps

What Sweetwater does best is to proactively maximize bricks-and-clicks core competencies. They really do.

jlu52 likes this.
  11. Mr Insane

Mr Insane Senior Member

Speaking of Sweetwater, I think I'll drive there today

jlu52 likes this.
  12. lespaul1648

lespaul1648 Junior Member

I have been dealing with zZounds for close to 10 years and will deal with no one else. I must have got 8 guitars from them and 5 of them Gibson's and never once had an issue. Their customer service is top notch. They ship out of New Jersey and Mississippi. I didn't have to wait more then 3 days for anything I purchased. A year ago I ordered a Marshall Silver Jubilee and one of the tubes were bad. zZounds sent me a new one before I even shipped back the return. Great place to do business with.

jlu52 likes this.
  13. Spiffers

Spiffers Member

I think we just became best friends!! Sweetwater is my go to music vendor and it really impressed me on my 1st order that they call to make sure everything was ok. Midway is my go to gun stuff unless it's something they don't have then I use Brownells.

I Break Things likes this.
  14. filtersweep

filtersweep Senior Member

Tough crowd. Hard to blame a retailer for a third party shipping issue.

Rocco Crocco, pnuggett and jlu52 like this.
  15. jlu52

jlu52 ignoramus maximus emeritus Premium Member

Use them both, like them both. Would not hesitate to use either of them in the future. Customer service, though I've had little and minor exposure, has always been top notch from both. Their never ending enticement also insures a steady GAS supply.

16. sasquatch

sasquatch Premium Member

After buying most everything I currently own from either zZounds or AMS
    I know for a fact that Sweetwater will give you assistance in selection of an item such as a guitar
    with choice of which one by serial number and visual when there are some in stock.
    With zZounds/AMS it's a luck of the draw. They won't help you with a visual inspection of the item
    because they for one don't offer that when you are looking at the product page.
    One thing I have Definitely received from zZounds/AMS is Top Quality Product.
    Not a dud in the bunch! Without Question they tank anything I could buy local or within driving distance,
    and all I use my local stores now for is strings and a tech.
    Sweetwater is good, and they have some special builds all their own I'm told
    but if you want extra Sweet guitars and equipment at Excellent prices with unbeatable payment plans
    I couldn't recommend zZounds more. AMS is a close 2nd.
    Each instrument is and has been a joy to unwrap
    and they do seem to undergo some kind of inspection prior to me receiving mine though there is nothing indicating it.
    Everything is always so well done, it feels like there has been attention given to the product at shipping time.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
    penguinchit and jlu52 like this.
  17. Captngeetch

Captngeetch Junior Member

Just got a small order from Sweetwater a couple days ago..I'm in NJ and it arrived the day after I ordered. Have done several with them and never an issue. Love the bag of candy and the follow up email and phone call on every order too. On the flip side, I made a pre-order with AMS on Oct 12th with an expected in-stock date of Nov 16th. Decided to check my order on the 16th and no update, went to the product page (an Attenuator) and the date expected changed to Jan 18th. No email or phone call to inform me or offer to cancel. That will be my first and last order from AMS. i'll stick with Sweetwater.

18. Midnight340

Midnight340 Junior Member

I'm in Kansas. I ordered a Celestion G10 Greenback 10" from Sweetwater yesterday midday, checking tracking I see it is now 20 miles from here at FedEx and will arrive today. That's one day service 3 days before Christmas!!!!! Thank you Sweetwater and FedEx!!!
    Plus the call from Sweetwater to say thanks + candy.
    I can't imagine better service!!!

filtersweep likes this.
  19. Gibsonrocknroll

Gibsonrocknroll Senior Member

I never ordered from Zzounds or American Musical Supply because I lived in New Jersey and they would charge me sales tax. So I have no experience with them. I have ordered numerous stuff from sweetwater with no issues. Plus the old school candy.

20. JonCanfield

JonCanfield Platinum Supporter Premium Member

They (SW) were quick to make a price adjustment for me when I bought my '17 Standard HP. I wanted to keep the payments down on the zero percent and they knocked an extra $300 off to make it work for me. Same with my 65 DRRI - bought the wine red one at the same price as the regular model.