Zzounds vs Sweetwater

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by penguinchit, Dec 14, 2017.

1. NewDayHappy

NewDayHappy Senior Member

I've had Sweetwater call me 4-5 months before their 2 year warranty was about to expire to make sure the item did not need to be replaced, no one else has ever done that for me. Free 2 day shipping on everything, only thing I don't buy from them is strings because Amazon is usually 33% cheaper, anything expensive or even middle of the range, I go with Sweetwater because of the 2 year warranty, unbeatable.

Warren Weldon and I Break Things like this.
  2. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Mr. Pickles loves you. Mwah! ♥ Premium Member

Zzounds has faster delivery to me because I live roughly 100 miles away. I get orders from them in 2 days. Sweewater - where are they, mid-west? I dunno, but Musician's Friend is in like CA and anytime I've ordered from them it took "forever" to get here.

However, in terms of customer service, I rate them in order:

Sweetwater
    Musicians Friend

Zzounds

Warren Weldon likes this.
  3. Telzilla

Telzilla Member

Sorry you had a bad experience. I haven't ordered from anyone but Sweetwater in years. I'm in Cleveland and I get everything next day. Never had any issues. But I'm a bit biased. I grew up in Fort Wayne, IN, where Sweetwater is, and my high school band recorded there in 1988 when it was a little house with a studio in the garage, and again in 1990 when it was in another place.

If you ever find yourself in Fort Wayne, IN for any reason (not sure why you would) make time to go see the place. Impressive showroom, a couple of state of the art studios, all kinds of music geek stuff to look at. Maybe the coolest part is this giant window overlooking the warehouse, which looks like something out of Dr. Seuss. About 20 layers of shelves with boxes of everything you've ever wanted, plus about 50,000 things you never even knew existed, all travelling around on little conveyor belts to get checked, packed, shipped, etc.

4. Telzilla

Telzilla Member

MF, ugh. The worst.

5. pnuggett

pnuggett Senior Member

What's marching percussion?

6. Vic vega

Vic vega Junior Member

I've ordered from both ZZ & SW - never had a problem with either. I've used customer service from both, and they were always easy to work with. I live in Nowhere Idaho (for deliveries it seems) and delivery is on time or early from both. Must just be a timing thing.

7. I Break Things

I Break Things Senior Member

Sweetwater is amazing. They're my preferred online store for music gear. Always fantastic and prompt service.

MidwayUSA is where I go for my gun stuff. Also great customer service, and they earned my respect when they kept the prices on ammo and magazines the same during that whole gun crisis. I used to use Cheaper Than Dirt, but not after they were charging $3 a round for 5.56 and $90 for old, aluminum GI AR-15 mags. MidwayUSA kept the prices the same and just limited the quantity households could order.

Warren Weldon and NewDayHappy like this.
  8. Dilemma

Dilemma Loud Pipes Ruin Naps Premium Member

I’d never used SW prior to purchasing my Friedman. I was impressed. <shrug>

9. MineGoes211

MineGoes211 Senior Member

I've always like Zounds! They will always work with me to get the best deals, Sweetwater will not budge on price, BUT they give you a Tootsie Roll!

10. Kartes

Kartes Senior Member

Maybe an obvious question, but has Sweetwater marked your guitar as Shipped and sent you a tracking number? Maybe the issue is with Fedex...the tracking history will provide some insight there.

Like others have commented - I've always had phenomenal service from Sweetwater.

11. TrackerDan

TrackerDan Junior Member

I have done business with both companies. Shipping has been good from both companies. Ultimately the best deal I ever got online was from Zzounds, when you could make an offer and they actually accepted it. On the other hand the last decent deal I ever got from Sweetwater was when I purchased my Derek Trucks SG on closeout. They don't haggle or offer to compete. Then they get all put out when you get a better deal somewhere else and tell them about it. They want to know the price, financing etc.. Which is none of their business. If a customer calls in give a smoking hot deal on the spot. Don't beat around the bush and waste our time. Most of us are working and raising families. Merry Christmas to all.

12. penguinchit

penguinchit Senior Member

I wouldn't say it was a bad experience. I'll definitely order from them again. Just seemed like the 2-day shipping should've included a disclaimer that it might not be 2 days.

I would love to see their showroom. The pics look like it's just a fantastic candyland!

I think Fedex played a part, but I got shipping notification from Zzounds before Sweetwater and received the Zzounds package right on time.

13. fry

fry Senior Member

Drums and cymbals that are designed for marching band members. The drums involve some sort of harness so the user can wear them out on the field.

14. Sp8ctre

Sp8ctre Senior Member

Everything I have ever ordered from Sweetwater has gone out the same day. However their free shipping is always FEDEX Ground and I never get a package in less than 5 days. It takes that long to go from Indiana to California and I accept that due to their fantastic customer service!

I've only bought one guitar from Zzounds and it took the same amount of time, but showed up with frets so sharp I couldn't play it...and it was an American Deluxe Stratocaster!

15. Dave_W

Dave_W Senior Member

Zzounds, American Musical, and Same Day Music are three independent companies who share the same warehouse and inventory. I've never ordered from Zzounds but I've been buying from American Musical for about 15 years. Their customer service has been great the three times I've had to return something.

Sweetwater does their inspection when the guitar is received, before it's photographed and put up in the gallery on their site. Then it's rechecked before shipping. I've never bought a guitar from them but I wouldn't hesitate to. Every other purchase from them has gone off without a hitch and is here in 2-3 days. OTOH I wouldn't expect any further discount from them on a big ticket item, that's something they usually don't do.

16. splatter

splatter Senior Member

never had a problem from either ,but I ordered a EVH dtuna from zzounds .Got it monday and it wasn't packed well .The case the dtuna was in had broken open from banging around in the box and the alan wrench was missing . I guess it fell out a small hole in the box. I'm not gonna complain to them cause its just easier to get another alan wrench than to send the etuna back for an exchange

17. pnuggett

pnuggett Senior Member

Maybe they should use better harnesses so they don't wear them out on the field.:D

18. Chuck M

Chuck M Senior Member

No more zzounds for me either. They don't want me to order from them because I returned a few items in a row. No fooling! And they did not want to hear about the items being defective!!!

FennRx likes this.
  19. FennRx

FennRx Senior Member

Way back in 2006-2007 I ordered an SG Standard and a Les Paul Standard Faded within maybe a month or two. I had also ordered various odds and ends. I then ordered a Blackheart Little Giant combo amp for $250 or $300 because I was looking at low watt Amps because I was living in a townhouse with shared walls.

So the amp arrives and after a day I knew it wasn’t for me. So I shipped it back. They then tried to charge me a $75 restocking fee because they claimed I didn’t send it back in the same box(es) that it had been sent to me.

After talking to chad, the customer service manager, he agreed to split the fee 50/50. I asked him flat out if he had looked at my recent purchase history. He said yes. I asked if he was willing to lose a customer that had bought two nice gibsons in a month over a $40 fee. He said yes.

Alrighty then.

And FTR Chad, I shipped that amp back in the same box you sent to me. Ya bastid.

:)

Malikon likes this.
  20. SpawnedX

SpawnedX Senior Member

Sweetwater is awesome. I ordered an Epiphone Dot as a last minute gift on Tuesday evening. I just opened the outer box and wrapped it 20 minutes ago. Less than 48 hours turn around from Indiana to Rhode Island, free shipping. I also always get deals and discounts so I have no idea what you guys are talking about there. Then again I have worked with my sales guy for years and have proven a loyal and valuable customer. I also don't waste his time asking for deals on cheap guitars or accessories and have spent countless money with them and have a 10,000.00 credit line with them. I also didn't ask for a discount on my very first big purchase from them. You have to give and take.