zz top tone

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by ccwhiskey, Jul 6, 2009.

1. ccwhiskey

ccwhiskey Member

how do you get a tone like billy gibbons of zz top's with a les paul and a marshall zw 2203 jcm 800???

2. snaredrum

snaredrum V.I.P. Member

3. ccwhiskey

ccwhiskey Member

thanks!! thats alot of good info!!

4. snaredrum

snaredrum V.I.P. Member

seriously, you'll be amazed how your amp and guitar open up. what guitar you playing at the moment, anyway? any pedals?

5. mtgguitar

mtgguitar Senior Member

The special features on ZZ's DVD "Live In Texas" has a nice section with BFG's tech Elwood.

Elwood and a luthier named John Bolin said that although his guitars "May have 'Fender' or 'Gretsch' on the headstock, they're really John Bolin guitars."

Bolin chambers the body and the neck under the fingerboard!

6. 5er driver

5er driver Senior Member

Under the fingerboard? What a tone trick. :naughty:

Semper Fi

7. Splattle101

Splattle101 V.I.P. Member

You should be flying with a Les Paul and a JCM 800. Now you just have to think about which sound you mean by 'Billy Gibbon's tone'. There's a bunch of them.

His rockier tones usually involve a fair bit of gain. He usually on the bridge pick up or a bridge-heavy mix of the two. He usually has the tone rolled off a little, too.

My advice would be to crank the mids, push the gain up, turn your tone control down a little, and don't get carried away with too much bass. Then it's a question of experimenting with your right hand and where you need to hit the string.

8. weirdotis

weirdotis Senior Member

You have a Zakk Wylde head? Those are impossible to get... must have cost you a fortune.

9. mtgguitar

mtgguitar Senior Member

Billy G finds a guitar, gives to to Bolin and he slices the top in two, lengthwise.

Billy used a regular pick during ZZs recent VH1 Storytellers show.

Onstage he is very talented. Offstage he has a lot of fun with us. "yeah boys, mah strings is made outa bronco tendons boiled in tequila and mah picks are flattened bullets from the Fowt Wuth P.D. evidence locker."

10. ccwhiskey

ccwhiskey Member

79 lp custom with zw emg's a zw 2203 marshall jcm 800 and kk jcm 800 w/a boss gt 8 efects board to run in stereo ,mostly use a 2008 les paul standard which is a awesome guitar

11. ccwhiskey

ccwhiskey Member

ya ,i got it for the same price of a regular marshall in a small music store in chicago 9 months after they were sold out. it was the best day of my life ,my guess is the owner had no idea it was a special colectors item ,cause he had no clue who zakk wylde was and it came with a special 4 12 cab too ,also they were still sealed in the box!!!!! ive seen them on ebay for 6 grand just for the head...

12. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

amazing