ZZ Top first Album Gear

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by ALEXtheSERBIAN, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

+1 :dude:

more pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Billys pre-ZZ Top band, the Moving Sidewalks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Beerdog80

Beerdog80 Banned

Awesome pics man. Those early shots of Billy and Top are just epic. Doesn't even look like the same guy...or even CLOSE to the same guy. :)

3. snaredrum

snaredrum V.I.P. Member

yeah, as far as i understood from reading rock and roll gearhead and everything i could possibly find online, i'm pretty sure the first album was pearly into marshall 100w Super Leads.

4. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Senior Member

Don't forget melted Cadillac parts, and super light weight strings.

Those pics are awesome!

5. snaredrum

snaredrum V.I.P. Member

they make me feel better about having chubby cheeks, i'll tell you. It means that if BFG can look as cool as he does with his cheeks, there's a slight possibility that one day i can too.

having said that i'm nearly 32 and can't grow a damn beard

:laugh2:

6. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

In case anyone didnt make him out, thats Jimi Hendrix holding the strat in that last picture. The Moving Sidewalks opened for Hendrix for a while, during which time Jimi gave Billy a shell pink strat (I'm guessing the one in the picture) saying it was "too pretty to destroy."

During an appearance the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson, when asked who his favorite guitarist was, Hendrix said Billy Gibbons :cool:

7. joebonsai

joebonsai Senior Member

Hi Texas07R8
    WHAT a story!!!
    They've blown my mind away in that Rockpalast night 04/20/1980 four o'clock in the morning (that was their stage.time!!!!!), just saw that thing on TV with the stereo full up radio sound, that night changed my live !!! I also play bass.....and I'm not a frickl frackl bass player, I'm playind as straight as Dusty does !!!!!!
    05/28/1982 was ANOTHER changing day
    ZZ Top at Rock Pop in Concert, my first row in front of Rev Billy F. Gibbon's 4 half stacks
    that blows you away!!!!
    here's a very nice one from THAT night
    with THE guitar-in-heaven-pearly-gates-tonehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgmBUa7njtQ

hope you enjoy

...pictures from backstage???

:hippie:

Lowdown likes this.
  8. joebonsai

joebonsai Senior Member

sorry, here's the clip

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgmBUa7njtQ]YouTube - ZZ Top I luv'a woman live 1982[/ame]

9. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

You were at the Rockpalast show :wow: thats awesome, I have the audio and dvd of that show, great stuff. Too bad there are more, and better, recordings from the earlier years

10. rocknhorse1

rocknhorse1 Senior Member

I think I have heard that Billy was a roadie for Hendrix way back.
    My friend Tom Shane's family owns Langlets Leathers in Portland Or, and he has made a few leather jackets for Billy, and seen his entire guitar collection, and rode Harleys together.. Same with Bob dylan and Niel youg.

11. joebonsai

joebonsai Senior Member

No I wasn't at the Rockpalast, but 2 years later at the 'Rock Pop in Concert' show.... this was from another German TV programm, the show was in May and was on the TVprogram in July....not the whole set(they played more the 90mins and just 60 were shown).
    But nearly the same equipment as the Rockpalast just 2 or 3 songs changed, they played as opener, Groovy Little Hippy Pad with a Chiquita traveler guitar....and then I thank you with Miss Pearly Gates and the rest of the whole show. The encore with the Gretschlooking Cadillac Model (Ed Roman Guitars)
    Here we go!!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aetg2WF5N0&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORkiOW5bTIY[/ame]

first row, directly in front of Billy......he played REAL loud at that time !!!

12. snaredrum

snaredrum V.I.P. Member

Lemmy was a roadie for Hendrix, but Billy wasn't. they did a tour with him though.

13. Texas07R8

Texas07R8 Senior Member

here ya go JoeBonsai,

This is me backstage with the band in Dallas last October. This shot was taken while Aerosmith was playing Love in an Elevator not far behind where we were standing. The guys are gracious, I shook their hands and then I see my wife getting a hug from Dusty (they're the same height, about 5'5" tall). And besides the band pics, I got the whole band to sign my copy of Beauty of the Burst book on the Pearly Gates page. Billy even signed a slick PG next to the big photo of Pearly. The band also signed some stock tour 8x10s and they all signed my vintage Tres Hombres LP. Each signed next tot heir photos on the cover. How frikkin cool is that?

We weren't allowed to take any pictures backstage and cell phones had to be off and stowed but that wasn't a problem, heck I was about to meet ZZ Top! OK here's the pic of me and the band:
    [​IMG]

edit: I just found a pic I had of my signed BOTB Pearly Gates spread. You can see all the guys signatures and the PG thing Billy drew for me for Pearly.
    [​IMG]

14. joebonsai

joebonsai Senior Member

yeeehaaa!!!!!

:wow::wow::wow:

how cool is that!!!:dude:
    in Germany they're starting very slowly that meet and greet ticket thing, so we were unlucky on the last Tour in summer!!!

15. ALEXtheSERBIAN

ALEXtheSERBIAN Junior Member

Here I am, after few days, what to say my friends, nice to hear You all, all I can add is that I agree with many of You that say that the vinyl sound is really reference for sounds we are talking about. And this detail also can open a serious debate about , lets say, basic or reference sound checking for el. guitar.Which amps will give us the most realistic sound of our guitars ? Maybe this can be a new thema, from some real and objective point of view.All the best!