ZZ Top & Epiphone

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by ep1972, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Nils

Nils Senior Member

What's this all about. Always that Gibson - Epiphone war...
    Ok, one thing is clear enough - Gibsons are overpriced.

I just need to get this off my heart:
    If you pick up a Gibson LP studio, standard, Historic, Raw Power, Traditional or whatever - they all feel and sound different! You could just as well put some Epiphone LPs in between the Gibsons. What I mean to say is that Epiphones sound great in their own right. They have their own tone and feel.

Epiphones are in fact good guitars. Nothing wrong with the quality since they are different. It is just different quality. Little bit different way of production - and the materials are a little bit different. Those Chinese guys do a pretty good job at building guitars.

I own an upgraded Epiphone Les Paul Standard, though I have played many Gibsons. And the choice of the guitar is all a matter of taste. This is an example of my taste:
    - I like my Epi more than a Gibson Slash LP Sig.
    - I like my Epi more than a Gibson R8 at a local shop
    - I like my Epi more than a Gibson LP Studio
    - I like my Epi more than a Gibson R9 I found in Eindhoven
    Though I have found guitars that feel and sound better than my Epi. Like another R8 I found in Amsterdam or a LP traditional I played at GC Manhattan.

Epiphone build guitars that are awesome in their own right. See them as all different models and don't seriously compare them with Custom Shop Gibsons. Just because you might like a pear better than an apple doesn't mean the apple is a bad product of nature. It's just different with it's own qualities.

OK - my heart feels a bit lighter now.

2. anthonylv64

anthonylv64 Junior Member

The main difference between American made Gibsons (or any guitar name) and Chinese is that the workers here make a decent salary for their labor and skills, while you can made a very similar guitars in China for slave wages, and they sure put a good effort there too, they need the money and the job, of course, I'll be really pissed if I paid 5k for a guitar Made in USA, and I found the same exact quality, same electronic components, etc in one made in China or Korea, when I'm only paying a fraction of that price.
    And yes, the pros do play lesser name guitars, anybody heard of Steve Rothery, from Marillion? This is a Prog Rock band, that's been around for over 25 years, with a strong following in Europe, and he plays Squires only, with upgraded pickups. Most of us upgrade pickups all the time. I'm sure he can afford a custom shop Fender anytime.

3. jomo

jomo V.I.P. Member

Sorry, this thread is getting boring again. :lol:

4. dennistruckdriver

dennistruckdriver V.I.P. Member

I'd be 'pissed' too, but fortunately, the Chinese and Koreans are NOT using the same quality parts and components as our American Gibsons.

No.

Are you making breakfast?

[​IMG]

5. overdriver

overdriver Banned

Slave wage's ????????????????? they got wages !!!!!!!!!!!!!! news to me!

6. byljer

byljer Senior Member

There are a lot of differences besides wages. Wood (body, neck...), hardware, frets, build (craftmanship), nitro/ poly....overall quality. There are several reasons why a China Epi is cheaper than a Gibson, but that's not the same as saying Chinamade Epis are bad. Some of them are great, and remember: They are "Made To Play"! Meaning, they're not a collectors item!

7. jomo

jomo V.I.P. Member

They work for salve??

[​IMG]

8. #1guitarman

#1guitarman Senior Member

Almost the longest running train wreck in MLP history...
    Let's toss a monkey wrench into the mix here with the corksniffers...
    If you want THE BEST THERE IS... why not have Roman build a "Inspired by" version, with a "Rist" sig on the headstock?...Huh? Gibson is as good as a Rist?...HUH??
    Why buy a piece of sh*t like a Gibson Les Paul, what with all the problems in QC...Cheap hardware, second rate pick-ups....When You can have a World Renowned Master Luthier build you HIS VERSION OF A '59 LES PAUL, NOT A COPY, A RIST "INSPIRED BY" VERSION.
    So there ya have it, in a nut shell.
    If you don't own a Rist "Inspired By" Les Paul, then yer just playin sh*t like us Epi owners...yep, there ya have it, we ALL SUCK.
    Roman, pick up the slack bro. I think yer gonna be busy...I hear cork sniffers countin' money....

SHUT UP AND PLAY YER GUITAR!!

9. jomo

jomo V.I.P. Member

Have a drink on me. (after you come out from under that table of course) :lol:

[​IMG]

10. #1guitarman

HUH??....damn Jomo, that was cold, bro!
    I was just tryin' to say that this epi-gibby-mines bigger than yours-is gettin so old...so the Epi owners say "I wanna Gibby"...and the Gibby owners say "I wanna Rist" and I say...don't matter what it is, play the damn thing...if it's got 6 strings, I'm makin' noise.

Im a hardcore HD man. but a guy ridin anything is better than a wannabe. ya know what I mean?

"No matter what make or model guitar you own, there's always better. Play what you like-Like what you play"

Just Play yer damn guitar...
    rant over...Peace!

11. dennistruckdriver

dennistruckdriver V.I.P. Member

I bet there'll be more....

12. jomo

jomo V.I.P. Member

I was just messin with ya, but now you've said fightin words!! :laugh2:

[​IMG]

13. harpman54

harpman54 Senior Member

Bitchin' scoot.....classic old school stuff. I love it! Any thought about a thin white pinstripe on those wheels? There's a great old Yamaha (I'm guessing about a 750 cc) here in FL done up very similar...except is has the dropped oval track racing handlebars on it. Wish I had a pic to post of it. Nice ride.

14. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

I agree.

That doesn't make Epiphones the same quality as Gibsons...

But, I agree.

15. shtdaprdtr

shtdaprdtr Senior Member

Its called lauan...or phillipine mahogany. I know because I fixed an epi with a busted neck...also the bodies are usually 4 pieces of alder covered with veneer....and the fingerboards are super thick to prevent the lauan necks from flexing.

16. shtdaprdtr

shtdaprdtr Senior Member

:rolleyes:

17. scozz

scozz Senior Member

Did you ever notice that guys that own BOTH Gibson and Epiphone guitars love both for what they are. And the guys that own ONLY Epis are the ones that make these comparisons,:hmm: Things like, "Epis are just as good as Gibson", or talk about upgrading, (hardware, electronics, etc,) to sound more like a Gibson, or changing the shape of the headstock,:wow: etc, etc, etc.:cool:

I own both and I love both, but my Epis are Epis, NOT Gibsons!

18. #1guitarman

You know it, Fo' Sho'!!

19. weirdotis

weirdotis Senior Member

She's a beauty! Let's make this thread about bikes now. :slash:

[​IMG]

My parents would ostracize me if I ever got one though (my uncle was killed on one).

20. Fuelish

Fuelish Senior Member

OK !!!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]