ZZ Top early sound

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by davehall, Aug 15, 2008.

1. smokin joe

smokin joe Junior Member

I'll have to check out the Tres Hombres and Fandango CD's, I believe there are additional live cuts on the new CD releases also.

2. Texas07R8

Texas07R8 Senior Member

+1 Man that is one of my all time favorite Top songs. I was playing that last night right before I went to bed. Love that tone, it's so....... soulful and you hear that dual tone on the sustaining notes.

3. Texas07R8

Texas07R8 Senior Member

I was at the Warehouse in New Orleans when Fandango was recorded. You say it sounded like a wall of Marshall's in a big room.. BINGO that's EXACTLY what it was. The Warehouse was a strange venue, not the best acoustics at all BECAUSE it was just a warehouse down by the river that was used for some raw concerts back in the day. It was the party place back then, not much to look at and there's no way a venue like that would exist today, it sure wasn't anywhere near code compliant but man there were some good shows there.

4. Encinitastubes

Encinitastubes Senior Member

I read in an interview once where Billy Gibbons explained the early sound as "2x10s, 18 watts, no mas". He might have been BSing, as he is prone to do, but that suggests something a bit different.

5. Texas07R8

Texas07R8 Senior Member

I've read that too and I know he does that in the studio sometimes but I've seen him numerous times live and never seen a combo with a mic in front of it feeding his stack of Marshalls or Crates.

6. WoodyTone

WoodyTone Senior Member

Had to resurrect this thread. Texas07 -- YOU WERE THERE?! DUDE! Holy crap! I mean, what was it like? Was it as awesome as it sounds? 'Awesomer?' Did you know what you were in for? Did you happen to notice what fuzz-type pedals he was using? I'm sure I have about 1000 more Qs, but will stop there!

WOW!

7. monroe

monroe Senior Member

Exactly!

8. monroe

monroe Senior Member

Can't remember the tour name, but whichever tour it was where they had the overhead mirrors set up so you could see straight down on the stage, they both had identical cabs for a backline that looked fake to me. I could clearly see what looked like a mic'd Vox on the floor BEHIND BFG's backline. That was in Detroit at Cobo.

9. Splattle101

Splattle101 V.I.P. Member

Wouldn't surprise me one bit. I once saw a big band with wall of Marshalls, and the lead player was using a little Mesa 1x12 combo, stuffed inside a road case with a mic. The 'wall' was purely cosmetic.

10. Texas07R8

Texas07R8 Senior Member

Back then it wasn't cosmetic.. Billy was playing his white flying V and you could see his guitar cable going into the Marshall heads linked together. That's what got me hooked on LPs and Flying Vs and Marshalls, well Zeppelin too. I couldn't tell what he had for pedals but I do know for a fact he uses them sometimes and wah pedals too.

We fell in love with Top on their 1st album, we were playing the stuff back then, still play it today too, they (like Zeppelin) loved New Orleans and toured there often. I was fortunate to see LZ twice before they lost John. I've seen Plant and Page twice since then and saw Jimmy with the Firm as well.

At the Fandago show Robin Trower opened for ZZ Top and we were bigtime into Trower back then, we played Day of the Eagle, Too Rolling Stoned and Fool and Me.

I've since seen ZZ TOP probably 10 more times, they never disappoint. I was playing Sure Got Cold after the Rain Fell by ZZ Top this past weekend on my R8 with those new OTP PAF pickups and OMG, that burst tone of Billy's I held in my hands, the tone, sustain and sometimes almost a dual voice like a harmonic when you'd bend the hell out of a string or just vibrato a note until the feedback slowly kicked in, frikkin incredible.. I still say that band hasn't gotten the credit they deserve for their first three albums and really Fandango too. We used to get a kick out of playing the live version of Jailhouse Rock from Fandango. We'd make up all kinds of lyrics just like Dusty did on every show, he sang it different if they played it that night.
    The best show was ZZ Top and Lynyrd Skynyrd together way back in the day. Actually I saw Top and Skynyrd in Dallas a few years ago, granted it wasn't the original LS but still was a damn fine show and it was good to see them again, what a show.

11. Splattle101

Splattle101 V.I.P. Member

Yeah, we do Nasty Dogs and Funky Kings, and Heard It On The X from Fandango. Sometimes do Blue Jean Blues, too. I love playing that song, but you've got to pick the moment. It's a good, dirty little half album.

12. PunkerJon

PunkerJon Senior Member

So are you the dude that goes "OOOOOOAAAAAAAOOOOOOOAAAAAOOOOO" like Tarzan during the Long Distance Boogie portion of the Backdoor Medly?

13. Texas07R8

Texas07R8 Senior Member

LOL, you know it may have been me or one of my buddies, we tend to get wasted and hoop and holler at the concerts. For the record, the sound did not sound as flat as the live side of fandango.. it sounds like they rolled back the EQ or put blankets over the speakers. I really it sounding much clearer live.

14. The_Sentry

The_Sentry Senior Member

Well, I can't give a damned bit of advice about achieving Gibbon's tone.

None.

I have nothing constructive to offer.
    I can't tell you what equipment to buy.

So with that being said....yeah, call this SPAM, but this song really started getting to me after a while...so much so...that eventually....yeah...this one pushed me over the edge and right into a Les Paul.

Thanks, Mr. Gibbons along with a few other old school rockers for introducing me to the fattest gee-tar tone known to man....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkoWBHAqMcM&feature=related]YouTube - JUST GOT PAID - ZZ Top Live 2003[/ame]

15. Grand Pappy

Grand Pappy Senior Member

I remember reading somewhere that Neil Young hates CD's, too.
    He said CD’s sounded dull and lifeless. Vinyl was more vibrant and had soul.
    I saw ZZ top at Madison Square Garden in ‘72. They opened for Ten Years After’s show on TYA last tour. I hadn’t heard of ZZ Top prior to the concert and they blew everyone away, including TYA! Tres Hombres came out a few months after.

16. WoodyTone

WoodyTone Senior Member

Texas, can you tel me more about these pickups please. Also have you tried the Pearly Gates pickups. And what else was in your rig for that nirvana moment?

17. Sony Oengui

Sony Oengui Senior Member

Haven't read every post, but did anybody mentioned he uses a coin instead of a pick? (at least, thats what i've read somewhere). If so, thats a BIG part of the sound...

18. Deftone

Deftone Senior Member

Yea, I've heard he uses a coin and sometimes a washer.....

19. WoodyTone

WoodyTone Senior Member

I have ehard that and he has played w/ metal, but I got the recent DVD and he plays with a pick!

20. WoodyTone

WoodyTone Senior Member

Bump -- Looking for TexasR708, this Q:

Texas, can you tel me more about these OTP PAF pickups please. Also have you tried the Pearly Gates pickups. And what else was in your rig for that nirvana moment?