ZVEXX Fuzz...

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by frankenbat, Jan 1, 2015.

1. frankenbat

frankenbat Member

Does anyone have a Fuzz Factory? Been thinking about getting a Fuzz pedal. Likes, dislikes, suggestions?

I play mostly classic rock from ABB to ZZ Top.

Gear: Orange Tiny Terror Head, Orange 1x12 cabs, Les Paul w/ Antiquity in Bridge.

2. Rich

Rich Non sequitur Premium Member

I have one and it's very cool, but not my favorite. If you want the ultimate in versatility, the Fuzz Factory is IT. Also, it excels in higher gain setting as well as sounds that are off the beaten path. However, while it can pull off some old school Fuzz Face tones (what I like), there are better choices.

I would say that, for what you are looking for, the Fuzz Factory would be an excellent choice. :thumb:

1 person likes this.
  3. Alligatorbling

Alligatorbling ★AstroCat★ Premium Member V.I.P. Member MLP Vendor

there is a learning curve to using the Fuzz Factory.... it can do a lot of weird stuff, which is one reason many buy it.... its far from a stomp on it and go pedal.

That being said, I think they are awesome.

5 people like this.
  4. Otis Shredding

Otis Shredding Senior Member

If you're a classic rock guy and know it I'd go for a fuzz that does one thing and does it well. Something in the tone bender fuzz face school is usually what I'd consider a classic rock fuzz.

Also when you're trying them out set it a bit past what you'd want in fuzz and bass content and dial back to taste with your volume knob on the guitar after, it's probably what you're going to end up doing with it live eventually.

1 person likes this.
  5. Dr.Distortion

Dr.Distortion V.I.P. Member

I've got a FF. It can do a lot of classic fuzz tones. It takes a while to find them. I have a log that I draw in the knob settings in when I find a good sound.

Small changes can and do make large changes...

There are a lot of discussions about settings on the web.

My Take on a ZVex Fuzz Factory Settings List - The Gear Page

2 people like this.
  6. frankenbat

frankenbat Member

Thanks for the info. I listened to the FuzzFactory v. The 70 by Fulltone, and I think the 70 sounds better. I checked out a bunch of YouTube videos and it sounded better every time. Now I have a dilemma

1 person likes this.
  7. Brocko

Brocko Senior Member

I have owned a fuzz factory and didn't really rate it. You can get lots of sounds out of it, most of which are pretty wild, which is fun but not always practical. The basic fuzz tone (which is what you will use 95% of the time) was not that great for me.

For classic rock i would suggest looking elsewhere, like a tone bender or fuzz face style pedal. You will just get usable tones for classic rock with most settings, whereas twiddling knobs on the fuzz factory results in sonic mayhem.

1 person likes this.
  8. gtr-tek

gtr-tek Fumble Fingers Premium Member

I also have a FF. It is just like the others have described it. It's an interesting pedal with a lot of whacky sounds in it and some cool ones too. Great for studio and home use when you can fiddle with it. Mark your favorite settings down somehow if you are going to use it live.

1 person likes this.