ZVEX Super Seek Trem. Is this the most overkill or most awesome tremolo ever? [Demo]

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by italobrito, Feb 26, 2016.

1. italobrito

italobrito Junior Member

Hey guys, made a demo of the Super Seek Trem by ZVEX:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMCVrlPUuBk

It's ZVEX's expanded version of their older Seek Trem pedal. It's a tremolo/step sequencer where you essentially have volume (and glissando) control over up to 16 steps and with that you're able to create an infinity of rhythmic patterns. The amount of stuff you can do and the features they packed on this thing is so crazy, incredible and overwhelming at the same time that I'd imagine it's the kind of thing you either absolutely love or hate, depending on how simplistic or how comfortable with knob tweaking you are. From global to individual glissando (how smooth is the transition between steps) adjustment, to tap tempo, tap hold, MIDI sync, expression pedal control, delta speed and the ability to save and store up to 8 presets, it's crazy. Definitely one of the most unique pedals I've ever come across in my life.

So, what do you think?

2. Brocko

Brocko Senior Member

You could buy yourself a Line 6 M5 for a third of the price, which will do everything this pedal does and give you delays, reverbs, modulations, EQ, comps etc etc.

3. moreles

moreles Senior Member

I consider ZVex pedals to be intriguing toys that are virtually unusable in real time, in actual playing situations. The extremely wide ranging settings and the interactivity of controls make for liberating experimentation, but I find them unreliable and super-annoying in actual use. Even when you don't change settings, minor differences in your signal path will still throw you into WTF wonderland/annoyance. But if you're Nels Cline and have great ears, amazing technique, and incredible control of your sound, by all means... Otherwise, I would go with the other pedals recommended above, as they all actually work in manageable ways. I got rid of all my ZVex long ago.

1 person likes this.
  4. italobrito

italobrito Junior Member

That was my experience with the Fuzz Factory and my thoughts for a few years until I had the opportunity to try and demo some of their other stuff, which quickly changed my mind. They have unusual, crazy stuff? Yeah, but they also have lots of awesome, great sounding and very useful ones too. Currently my favorite fuzz is the Zvex Woolly Mammoth 7, which sounds better than any other fuzz I've ever heard in my life. I even demoed it a while ago as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAhWhYKN80A

Some of their other pedals, such as the Box of Rock, Box of Metal, Sonar, Distortron/Mastotron, Instant Lo-Fi Junky etc are anything but quirky and very musical and useful effects.

I think what happens is that the Fuzz Factory, by far their most famous pedal, leaves a bad taste on the mouth of those who aren't into it and tried it first, and consequently they associate the brand with that kind of thing forever, which in my opinion is untrue/unfair.

1 person likes this.
  5. Brocko

Brocko Senior Member

I agree with this. The Box of Rock (and variants of) and the Woolly. Mammoth are insanely good and easy to dial in. Very usable live.

The Fuzz Factory can get some decent tones but for me it is really only useful in it's 'probe' form. Otherwise, it's main party trick (the stab knob) is unusable.

6. moreles

moreles Senior Member

Good to hear about more recent ZVex pedals. Thanks very much for the info. I will look forward to demo-ing some of the ones mentioned. The clarification is much appreciated, because boy, did I hate trying to work with the Fuzz Factory! Most frustrating was that you could actually hit some amazing setting that you could never re-create, and certainly not in real time. Glad to know that the newer units are manageable. I like to play, not to twist knobs.

1 person likes this.
  7. st.bede

st.bede V.I.P. Member

I will stand up for tye fuzz factory... yes, it is really unperdictable, yes, it is not stable, yes, it is frustrating, yes, it has stolen many hours of my time in pursuit of a strange tone... over all that it the nature of such a beast. Other fuzzes that respond to little changes and have self oscillation going on are also pretty frustrating to dail in. They also hate any change in temperature and guitar. However, I still love them because I can get some crazy stuff happening. I apporach it as if it was another instrument or another voice... not so much as a gimic but an extension that can work in many contexts if I am willing to push and find possiblities...

given all that, I would like to check out the Rockett WTF and see if the oscillations are more stable...

2 people like this.
  8. sonar

sonar Senior Member

Had an original Seek Trem, but the volume drop kind of killed it for me.

I really like Z. Vex and his pedals. We need more mad scientists in the pedal world.

Some aren't the most intuitive pedals to incorporate into... well, anything. Some are. The Trem Probe was the only volume pedal I've ever liked. Still have a SHO that's saved my a@@ on more than one occasion.

2 people like this.
  9. Brocko

Brocko Senior Member

They have a new smaller version of that coming out.

You should also look at the Red Witch Fuzz God II as well - it does the same sort of stability thing but has a footswitch to turn it on/off.