ZVEX Instant Lo-Fi Junky

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by gaussgun, Jul 4, 2017.

1. gaussgun

gaussgun Senior Member

[​IMG]

Pretty old stuff compared to the latest boutique pedals but still unique and rare. I guess nobody can be surprised by chorus+vibrato+compressor, but this pedal, the way these features mixed and tuned here - its just killing me. This is the real inspiring effect, cuz no matter what did you played before it but once you hit it - you just want to strum some slow stuff with chords. Basically it throws you back to the 80-90s. Joke, lets look serious at it. THe controls are not so obvious as they seem. The "tone" control dials the compression-limiting of your signal , volume and tone as well. So the volume control sits here to compensate the tone knob I would say. "Comp lo-fi" knob - we can call it the soul of the pedal. From the 7 to 10 o'clock you got nothing but compression, the from the 10 to 1.5 o'clock the sweet and soft chorus mixes in, and later from the 1.5 to 5 o'clock you are getting vibrato effect which detunes you guitar in a very cool way, also it adds some white hiss. Got to mention - you will always have you signal compressed and limited even if you go full clockwise. So this knobs basically adds chorus and vibrato to compression. The "depth" dials the depth of chorus and vibrato, the funny thing that "speed" control dials the depth too, so setting this pedal up may be a bit tricky. That little toggle switch changes the waveform, the third mode gives you and effect of stuttering gramophone, great stuff for finish tracks. It should be used with a clean amp or after your dirt pedals. I dig this pedal these days very much, MacDemarco in a box lol.

Rich likes this.
  2. Rich

Rich Non sequitur Premium Member

That's very cool! Thanks for the GAS! :doh:

Another pedal you might like is the Catalinbread Adineko which mimics the sound of an old oil can delay. Very spaghetti western!

Compared to the counterparts of the day (tape, drum, wire delay machines), [the oil can delay units'] sound was more low fidelity, murky, often with a more consistent musical vibrato that correlated to the spinning disk speed. We like to describe the sound as mysterious. The Catalinbread ADINEKO pedal is an echo/reverb/vibrato pedal that faithfully models the sonic experience of these oil can units.

lung plunger and gaussgun like this.
  3. gaussgun

gaussgun Senior Member

yeah man, I got some hopes for this delay

Rich likes this.
  4. christophervolume

christophervolume Senior Member

lo-fi junky is a fun pedal. z vex is still one of my all time fav pedal makers.

gaussgun likes this.
  5. lung plunger

lung plunger Senior Member

I think it was gearmandude and fuzzboxgirl (something like that) that did a collab demo of the lo-fi. Geardude copped a tremelo-y sound out of it, sounded sweet. I almost bought it. For a while, I had like 4 modulation pedals. Didn't use damn one of them. Just can't incorporate it into my style.

But this pedal here, I almost got because of that one sound. You'd probably need sometime to get to know it. I'm sure it does a whole lot more?