Zpoxy pore filling

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by EagleOnyx, Jun 25, 2012.

1. EagleOnyx

EagleOnyx Senior Member

hey, I've been using Zpoxy to pore fill. I like it, it works great and is pretty easy to use.

It naturally has an amber tint to it but doesn't really darken the pores that much. I am refinishing a Flying V that I had built out of mahogany and am using the Zpoxy. I wondered if you could tint the stuff so I tested the theory just now. I tinted using transtint/colortone red dye and so far it seems to work! It really darkened up the pores the way I wanted it to.

I had previously filled the back using it natural and then went over on the 2nd coat using the red mixture. It doesn't work as well this way. So if you are going to try it out, use it as the first coat.

I'll update later to say if it had any adverse reactions.

[​IMG]

H.E.L.Shane and j.six like this.
  2. JRo

JRo Senior Member

Nice idea! Well done. Did you find the z-poxy tricky to get applied smooth?

3. PoorMan

PoorMan Senior Member

What did you use for tint?

4. TKOjams

TKOjams Senior Member

Read his first post again.

5. EagleOnyx

EagleOnyx Senior Member

Zpoxy is very easy to apply. It has a long enough work time so you don't have to work real fast. I use a silicone squeegee I got at home desperate.

Ok, so the tinted zpoxy worked great on bare wood. It sucked using it as a second coat over clear zpoxy though. It ended up being very blotchy and didn't highlight the pores at all. Lesson learned. I'll bust out the 80 grit again.

6. j.six

j.six Senior Member

Been thinking about this for a bit; why not directly stain the wood, then Z-Poxy? I’m sure it’s fine, but I don’t know that I’d want to add anything to the ZP before applying it. I don’t know that I don’t want to add anything, but was just wonderin.

Either way, I'm glad it's workin' for ya!

Sully

7. EagleOnyx

EagleOnyx Senior Member

well, my goal here was to see if you could tint the zpoxy similar to how they make the cherry filler for Les Pauls. On those guitars the pores look almost black. I wanted the pores to be accented a lot more than they get using straight zpoxy. It succeeded in that respect, if you use it on bare wood.

When I originally stained this V dark red before, the pores did not get accented the way I wanted. They didn't stand out much.

I have tried to tint superglue before. I had an adverse reaction with it. The super glue started smoking and got super hot. I think I tried to tint it with the black leather dye SM sells for coloring ebony fingerboards. The Zpoxy had no noticeable reaction with the transtint dye. Also, it took less Dye to tint the Zpoxy than it would take to tint other filler mediums.

8. shorty85

shorty85 Senior Member

So has anyone tried spraying Nitro directly over the the Z-Poxy?

I've thought about try it out on some test pieces and I'm hoping that it will work alright without needing a sealer in between.

9. H.E.L.Shane

H.E.L.Shane Senior Member

I have not yet used z-poxy as a pore filler..

however, I'm going to on my lastest V.. I think Gator posted his technique not long ago in a similar thread.. and it involved applying the z-poxy as thin as possible and then scraping it back to the bare wood with the z-poxy only in the pores..

In my mind, I want my nitro to wet out the wood, and thus get a good grip on the wood. One of nitro's big advantages over urethanes IMHO.. Urethanes don't penetrate the wood as well as nitro, and therefore, chip off easier...

However... I'm also going to try the Z-poxy under urethane clears.. in that case, the Z-boxy wll be left on the wood and scuff sanded just like a primer... I've read excellent results on other woodworking forums with that method.

1 person likes this.
  10. H.E.L.Shane

ummm... what was happened there was that the superglue was fast curing!!!! It can actually catch fire!! Apparently, the dye containes a catalyst for the C/A!!!

You can thin most Epoxys with solvents like denatured alcohol as long as you don't add too much, so a very small amount of solvent based dye shouldn't be a problem. I'm betting a water based dye would not play as nice though!

Thanks for lab rating that one though... I've been thinking about experimenting for a while!!

11. j.six

j.six Senior Member

I'm not a nitro user, but yes, I've shot color and clear right over it. Works fine.

12. j.six

j.six Senior Member

I leave a thin veneer is for its sealing properties; like everyone, I hate pore filling, and this stuff works really well and sands fantastically. On the Spanish cedar Raven I did last year, I Z-Poxy’ed it, leveled it, laid down some intercoat urethane clear, shot the burst (transtint in intercoat clear), and Urethane cleared over it. No issues whatsoever.

Sully

13. shorty85

shorty85 Senior Member

Thanks Sully.

I've used the same method of laying the Z-Poxy, sanding until there is only a thin level surface, and then spraying clear right on top. It was rattle can Poly that I used and had no issues at all.

I've never used Nitro before, but was planning on using it soon. I didn't think there would be any issue, but I've hears that Nitro can be touchy. I'll just do sone tests to be sure, when the time comes.

14. H.E.L.Shane

So you laid down a DBC500 or SG100 base clear right on the poxy and had no adhesion problems??

Intersting.... :hmm:

:thumb:

15. j.six

j.six Senior Member

Yep! DBC500. No issues at all.

16. H.E.L.Shane

eeeeeeexcellent
    [​IMG]

17. EagleOnyx

EagleOnyx Senior Member

I spray nitro directly on the zpoxy and it worked fine.

I have had to redo this V a few times while experimenting with the zpoxy and tinting. My first failure was: I sprayed a thin sealer nitro coat, then applied tinted timbermate. Sanded that a bit, sealed it with nitro, then applied clear zpoxy to finish filling. It was just an experiment and it failed. The Zpoxy did not adhere or cure properly. Instead of laying flat it retreated from the pores and left a very cratered finish. It was absolutely horrible. I'm not sure what happened, but I don't think I let the nitro cure long enough before doing the zpoxy.

I still want to try using the cat urethane. What do you use to tint that stuff?

18. j.six

j.six Senior Member

Transtint.

19. H.E.L.Shane

Really??? In the DBC mid clear or in the urethane top coat?????

I've never tried it with either becasue i was told its not compatible....

I have used Kandy Concentrates (which are eerily similar in smell to transtint...)
    Universal Kandy Koncentrates (UKK)

20. j.six

j.six Senior Member

Yep! In the DBC. Suggested to me by Mike Learn. Worked great.

Sully

1 person likes this.