Zoom H2n help

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by db3266, Dec 30, 2011.

1. db3266

db3266 V.I.P. Member

I bought a H2n today and so far I'm really pleased with it.

I hope to post some clips tomorrow:thumb:

What is the best setting for the Gain control? Should I set it to Automatic and not worry about it?

I'm trying to get a good recording of myself playing along to backing tracks. Are there any settings I should be paying attention to? So far, the best I have managed is to use the 4ch mode and then mix this down to stereo. I've also found it best to have the Zoom only a few feet away from the stereo speakers and my amp.

My guitar is quite loud in the mix, do I just need to play around with volume settings on the amp or can I mix it down with the supplied software? Ideally I want the amp working hard to get the tone I am after.

The aim of the recording is to capture my guitar tone so I'm not shooting for CD quality mixing.

Any pointers would be appreciated:thumb:

2. Neodustin

Neodustin Senior Member

Personally, I don't like setting my gain to automatic. If I were you, I'd goose the volume on your amp and set the H2N about 8 feet away in 4ch mode with the H2N facing sideways towards your speakers. Then take a few passes and adjust the gain accordingly. Thats how I use my H2N, at least. Alternatively, you could consider tweaking some knobs on your amp by reducing the bass and pushing the mids a bit. The room is also something to consider.

Just remember, once the track is recorded you can always load it up into any editing software and EQ the crap out of it :)

Good luck