ZOOM G3 as an Amp Modeler

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by Jymbopalyse, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Jymbopalyse

Jymbopalyse Senior Member

As far as amp modeling goes where does the ZOOM G3 sit among the pack.
    I don't hear much about the G3 here and when I do, it rarely gets any love.

I had originally got it for all the effects that it covers. Having recently been relegated back to playing in my bedroom I realized that it also has the capability for amp and cab modeling. Using headphones or computer speakers I am very happy with the tone/sound that I am getting. I'm going to break out the PA this weekend and see how it stands up to bigger, louder drivers.

I really want to explore the next level of modelers but I'm unsure where to start. I don't want to purchase a similar quality product, but I don't have the $$$ to jump right in with a Kemper.

2. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Above kind of says, the G3 Works for you. Kind of good right there, isn't it.

First, I don't want the following to sound like it belittles the G3. It's a decent piece of kit, SPECIALLY for it's cost.

I had a G3. It was good, last gen modeling imho. It still had some digital artifacts in it's tone (compared to current gen). It also didn't have all the feel, imho that we have now. Really, it was mainly because in modeling, horsepower makes a difference. At the G3's price point, you just can't get the horsepower needed for the Amp part.

Additionally, it really doesn't run good, high def IRs for CAB simulation, and THAT makes a huge difference.

I would take my former Blackstar ID TVP over the G3, every time. ID TVP would be a next generation from the G3, but still not quite to current standards. And the TVP had almost eliminated those digital artifacts (specially through a flat Guitar cab), and had remarkably real, touch, response and feel.

But, it doesn't hold a candle to my Kemper.

You jump to the High end, a Helix, an Axe FX, a Kemper, trust me, you will know where that money went. Different ball parks, in different sports.

But, there are options like the Amplifire.

Frankly, you could pick up a used Eleven Rack for $300, and it will be an upgrade from your G3.

Pod HD Pro X would be as well.

frankv likes this.
  3. Jymbopalyse

Lot's of really useful info there for me to look into Cyber. Thanks for taking the time!
    The G3 is just my first, unintentional, exposure to amp modeling. It's a big world out there and I could spend untold time just chasing my tale getting my bearings.

I always appreciate reading your critique of things. You have a great way of presenting facts with opinion that I find both enlightening and enjoyable to read.

frankv likes this.
  4. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

(shucks). Seriously, thanks and NP. :D

5. GeeJay

GeeJay Senior Member

I have a Zoom G5 (not the newer G5n) that works quite well as an amp modeller when that's what I want for use at home. Would probably work well live too, (though I only use it for FX and clean boost into an amp live).

6. Jymbopalyse

How do you like the X-Y expression peddle?
    It sounds interesting but I noticed that the new n series does not have it.

7. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

I didn't get along at all with the amp models in the G3. I like a focused, crisp guitar sound (mostly JTM45 Marshally type tones) and I could not get anywhere near that on the Zoom. The metal amp models weren't very good to me, either. Hitting chords and leads were OK, but palm-muting lacked the thump I look for.

For the price, I think its a good entry into modeling.

YMMV.

8. GeeJay

GeeJay Senior Member

The X-Y pedal is useful, but I mainly stick to one axis use and mostly just wah. I have pretty simple needs for it live. I mostly just use two patches.
    1st is set up :
    Noise Gate - Tube Screamer - Chorus - Delay - Wah - Reverb

The noise gate is always on and hidden.
    Wah is hidden but switchable via the rocker pedal.
    The other four fx have their own button, plus the tube boost option is always available on the fifth button.

Second patch is a simple acoustic simulator.

This plugged into either my Marshall DSL 401 or (as per last gig) into my 18W TMB 'Marshall' clone, works a treat.

At home I have some different patches that include amp sims and cab sims, but haven't really recorded anything I'd wish to share. Sounds alright to me, though I also use my amps at home too.

9. bgh

bgh Senior Member

I cannot speak to the G3, but I can add that I agree with the G5 comments. For what it is, the models are not bad. Some are better than others.

I mainly used it for effects, and as a volume pedal.

I did keep the noise gate on most of the time too. I tried the alternate axis of the expression pedal - just to verify it worked. It worked well. But, for the effects I use (delay, reverb, noise gate) there really is not a lot of need for it.

10. Jymbopalyse

Thanks for the input guys. There is lots to look at in this new, ever growing technology. I was finding myself a little overwhelmed. It's hard to research something if you don't quite understand it.

11. GeeJay

GeeJay Senior Member

12. Guitar Rod

Guitar Rod Senior Member

I always liked Zoom's modeling. Yes it's not high end, but I liked it better than a lot of the mid-priced modelers I've heard.

Kemper is out of my price league, so I've been looking at the POD 500HD and even Helix. That new modeling pedal board that was intro'd at NAMM is interesting as well.

13. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

HD300 is all you might need if you are looking at that line. Erase all those factory presets and create your own. You can pick one up for $200

14. Guitar Rod

Guitar Rod Senior Member

Good to know. Saving a couple hundred is always good.

15. Shai`tan

Shai`tan Senior Member

"I always liked Zoom's modeling."

I 1st became a ZOOM Fan way back when I picked up my 9002 Pro belt processor. STILL have it. And out of all the ZOOMs that came after, the 9002 stuff is still my altime fav. There is something about the 9002 onboard processor that really is pleasing to the ear.

I am using mine now till I can finish saving the dough for my Kemper Rig. ;p

16. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Ya know. Unlike tube amps that "drift" over the years. Resistor values change, caps drift off spec, tubes wear, stuff like that. When you have a modeler that pleases your ear.. it will do that in the same way till it dies