Zoom G1Xon tube amp modeling

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by Guitar Rod, Jun 8, 2016.

1. Guitar Rod

Guitar Rod Senior Member

I've never owned a tube amp, so I'm wondering what the "tube" setting does in a tube amp model on the G1Xon or any other amp models that may have it?

2. Mindfrigg

Mindfrigg Senior Member

A modeler simulates the conditions inherent in a system or device. The characteristics of components are broken down into elements and reproduced digitally. That is, the input is digitized then reproduced with modifications in the same way an analog component would change the sound. Tube characteristics and their effect on a signal are understood to a great degree. Exactly how well is debatable as you've no doubt observed on the forum.
    It's an effect not disimilar to the phasing, flanging overdrive, exciter, compressor...and other effects that are also now digital. I would say more complex though.

1 person likes this.
  3. Guitar Rod

Guitar Rod Senior Member

Thanks. I'll have to play around with it with less and more gain. 80 seems to be a nice setting. Now I know what to look for.

4. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

In simpler terms, that 'tube setting' will most likely adjust the eq in subtle ways, how your attack affects the tone, in some way, and interact with the gain settings a little, in an attempt to sound like your using different output tubes in the amp being simulated.

1 person likes this.
  5. Guitar Rod

Guitar Rod Senior Member

I didn't get a chance to play today, but it seems like it causes the sound to break up a little like a tube amp does. The manual describes it as tube compression. 100 was not great sounding, but 80 was a nice sweet spot for my settings.