Zhangliqun Winds Soundclip

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by refin, Dec 7, 2008.

1. refin

refin V.I.P. Member

Okay this is a clamfest,but it was a first try.
    Woodbucker in the front and Slugbucker in the bridge,using the J-Station.I just used the blues patch,and I was trying to get a Carlos tone.
    I hope to dial them in and do some blues or something with a real amp soon.I have played them through a small G-DEC and a SF Champ,and the sting and bloom are wonderful.

SoundClick artist: refin - One man band doing songwriting,demos,and just having fun.

5F6-A and Fixxxer like this.
  2. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

fantastic tone and playing... in the Santana vein but better ;)

3. Tone Seeker

Tone Seeker Senior Member

There's some nice stuff going on with that bridge pickup Refin. Are they in your 50's conversion?

Terry.

4. g_mane

g_mane Member

Sounds great, refin (both the tone and the playing)! That's the same set I have in my Orville Custom. Dave winds a fine pickup, doesn't he?

5. refin

refin V.I.P. Member

Thanks guys-------:wave:
    '50s conversion,which is my definite test guitar for new PAF winds.The bridge pup does have a real sizzle that I like alot.Hopefully I will get to record some cleaner tracks this week.

6. Jason

Jason Senior Member

Man, your tone and playing are always great! These ones are ultra smooth and yet still somehow have that great bite. How much of the singing aspect of it do you think comes from the wood?

7. refin

refin V.I.P. Member

Thanks JasonC for your kind words.
    The old wood gives a different read on pups.I believe that it has to do with lightness and the fact that it has a mahogany neck vs. a maple one,like my mid-'70s Deluxe.Every '50s LP I've had was the same.The Deluxe has a very good sound (routed for large buckers),more immediate and to the point.The old Lester seems to almost "hesitate" and bloom the note.
    Having said all that----------a less than stellar wind is obvious in either guitar.If you take a great old '65 Ford Mustang and put a different engine in it (smaller,lightweight) it will look the part but not respond as designed.It's the same with old guitars.
    I've been blessed to have worked with some great winders who are dedicated to their craft.

8. Jason

Jason Senior Member

Cool, thanks for sharing your experience. My approach to tone is still fairly ham-fisted at this point, but I'm getting closer to fine-tuning all the time. The only Lester I still have at this point is gutted and I've been playing on a Schecter in the meantime. I don't have the cash to be spending on top of the line stuff (yet!) so I've replaced the bridge PU with a GFS Fat PAF. Perhaps a bit "too vintage" sounding for me, and I'm favoring the neck/blended lately anyway... more of that nice singing tone. The body resonates like crazy but I think it's not quite jiving with the neck somehow cause my sustain isn't quite where I'd like it. I probably need to really sit down and experiment more with PU heights as well.