Zhangliqun Strat P-90 Clip

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by refin, Sep 9, 2008.

1. refin

refin V.I.P. Member

Finally---a real P-90 sound for strats!
    This is a prototype model,but it's ready as far as I'm concerned! I love the way two notes sound together.The Zhang kicks in alone at :050
    The player is sucky----:rolleyes:
    SoundClick artist: refin - One man band doing songwriting,demos,and just having fun.

It is in my Strat-O-Tele---I put a Tex-Mex in the neck position.
    [​IMG]

2. Tone Seeker

Tone Seeker Senior Member

Refin. . . it's great to see a new clip!

I love the P90 sound. I picked up a Collings 290 a few weeks ago and I can't put it down. The Zhangliqun sounds great in your Strat-O-Tele. Sweet, fat and round, yet still a single coil. Lots of harmonics too!

Terry.

3. refin

refin V.I.P. Member

Thanks,TS..........the playing was sucky,but I like this wind.I didn't use much overdrive,but it is sweet clean or dirty.

4. Tone Seeker

Refin, you really should take some lessons. I know this guy in Florida. . . . :lol:

Terry.

5. refin

refin V.I.P. Member

That guy is a nut case.......:laugh2:

6. Tone Seeker

Yea, "but he can play a guitar, just like a ring in a bell"! :wow:

:)

Terry.

7. kevinT

kevinT Premium Member

sounds great refin.

Zhang is a good guy...he knows his stuff.

8. refin

refin V.I.P. Member

Thanks guys...............I have always wanted the P-90 sound in a strat without getting out the router.

9. Tone Seeker

Refin, what about the neck PUP? Have you thought about putting a P90 in there as well? I think it would sound great!

Terry.

10. refin

refin V.I.P. Member

Well,honestly when I got this pickup from David I didn't know what guitar it would go in----so I assembled one out of parts.I knew I wanted just two pups,front and rear.
    If he winds me another front model,that would be great!

11. mrpesca

mrpesca Senior Member

I'm fairly new around here so this is my first exposure to your music Refin. I'll have to say after I picked my jaw up off the floor I listened to a bunch of your stuff. Wow. No "sucky" playing there. The tone on all the clips is excellent. It's proof to me that it's 90% player, 10% guitar. Wish I lived in Florida. I would take some lessons from you. As for the P-90 in a Strat. I may have to do some tweakin on my guitar. Very nice.

12. refin

refin V.I.P. Member

mrpesca,thank you for for your gracious comments and taking the time to listen.I'm just another picker looking for the right notes.:wave:

As far as a neck P-90 model,I'm eggin' David to wind one....I think he will ;).I want to do some more tracks with this one in some different styles.

13. Tone Seeker

That's great to hear refin. I think you'll really enjoy it. Looking forward to more clips! :dude:

I wanted to ask you about this. Was this a Warmoth type "parts-o-caster"? I have occasionally thought about building a Strat style guitar, in part to save some $$. However, I'm not sure if the effort involved (learn how to do it; then do the build) is really worth it. Any thoughts?

Terry.

14. refin

refin V.I.P. Member

Well,the body is a non-descript MIM strat style that I bought on ebay---the neck is made by a company I can't remember.It has a fat V that goes into a C profile.
    Normally a strat body won't readily accept a tele neck,and vice-versa,because of the heel differences---but this one worked.I wired the pickguard with 2 volumes and a tone.
    If you can solder,follow basic wiring diagrams,and setup a guitar once everything is bolted up,you should be good to g;the setup is most critical.I do setups professionally,so it's fairly easy for me.Sometimes you need to shim a neck underneath or from the side of the pocket (if the neck/body doesn't fit tightly).I buy used stuff and/or trade parts to keep the expense down.I put this one together to have something a little different,may eventually go with a switch.

15. Tone Seeker

Electronics I'm really strong at. Setups. . . so-so.

Maybe I should work at building my setup skills and see how I make out. If that goes well, then tackling a guitar would make sense.

Thanks refin.

Terry.

16. Jason

Jason Senior Member

Awesome vintage tone Refin!

17. refin

refin V.I.P. Member

Thanks Jason.-----I really like this wind so far,and look to track another jam or 2 tonight!