Zero Frets

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by houston, May 5, 2014.

1. houston

houston Senior Member

Anything inherently wrong with them in general? Any reason they are most often seen on headless guitars? Is there an extra benefit to use them there, or it's more just a matter of separate forward-thinking design elements tending to show up together? Can they be done (and does it make sense) as a retrofit, say on a Strat neck?

2. Mayuiers

Mayuiers V.I.P. Member

3. houston

houston Senior Member

Saw that before, but don't really see that it specifically addresses my questions: what are the actual downsides, why are they typically used on headless, and can they be done (properly -- not cramming one on top of a nut) as a retrofit to certain types of necks?

4. LPBR

LPBR Senior Member

I had an excellent SG replica bolt on guitar that had a zero fret. Looking back to that time I can't see any tonal difference when compared to all other guitars that I had without it.

The only thing that come to my mind in the moment is that with a zero would be too much more easier to make the nut because you can just go deeper than the necessary and it won't hurt anyone because the zero fret will be work as a 'leveler' for the strings.

But I suspect that it would be a stupid assumption of mine that someone would add a zero fret to a guitar because this.

:hmm:

5. jkes01

jkes01 Senior Member