Zero Fret Opinions

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Adinol, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Archer

Archer Senior Member

Yeah, I could do that, and I may. I have wondered if it affects the tone having that gap in there. Maybe I'm being anal retentive. I need to play that guitar a little more; it's been a while.

1 person likes this.
  2. Adinol

Adinol Senior Member

I've wondered about the same thing.

If a zero fret is installed inside a regular slot of an extended fret board, that fret is anchored on the board as any other fret, as both sides of the crown are touching the board. But when you place it at the outside, with the extension, and the string tension pulling slightly backwards, I feel in some cases that fret might not be transferring the vibrations through the soundboard exactly the same way.

I guess the question to ask is, does it kill sustain?

3. p45

p45 Junior Member

i have used zero frets in most of the instruments i have made ive used the same fretwire for the zero fret as the rest of the board (jescar gold fwiw) the guitar i use the most is about 3 years old and the zero fret is hardly marked let alone worn

4. syndromet

syndromet Senior Member

I have a zero fret on my Yamaha SA-5. It's one of my best playing guitars, and works wonders. The zero fret has a lot less wear than the other frets.
    [​IMG]