Zeppelin's Hello Mary Lou

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by MCAN, Nov 24, 2012.

1. MCAN

MCAN Senior Member

Hey guys,
    Can anyone give me any tips or instructions on how to play Led Zeppelin's version of 'Hello Mary Lou' featured in the WLL medley on HTWWW? The song (Ricky Nelson version) has become part of my new band's setlist and I want to take it a step further than basic strumming of the chords.

I just can't find any tabs or clear instruction of how to play the LZ version. I have worked out a very small short riff from the solo by ear but I'm really hitting a wall.

There is a video on YouTube called 'Led Zeppelin - Jam' that features a guy playing it but he is standing in the dark so I can't really get a good look at what or how he is playing.

Thanks in advance.:fingersx:

1 person likes this.
  2. opsopcopolis

opsopcopolis Member

You might be able to find it on Vanderbilly.com if that place still exists. In general I would say use a lot of hybrid picking and move around a lot of 7ths and things. It's relatively easy to pick out what he's doing moving note wise if you just pretend he's not playing chords underneath for a little while and isolate the moving lines in your head. Then you just throw the chords back under.

The thing about Jimmy's playing in that stuff is that it can get really technical while also being extremely sloppy, which is a very hard combination to mimic