Zeppelin solos for a beginner at lead

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by Tobin1634, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Tobin1634

Tobin1634 Senior Member

oooo misty mountain hop is badass.

2. Gooner

Gooner Senior Member

Whole lotta love is easy to work out :thumb:

3. HogmanA

HogmanA Senior Member

I know you've probably got suggestion overload by now, but...

Dazed and Confused.
    The solo starts with a set piece, riff and unison bends, as well as featuring a mix of major and minor scales, though heavily pentatonic in a predominantly minor song, as well as unison bends (a great thing for developing vibrato).

The Lemon Song
    Again, solo starts with a set piece comprising doubvle stops (in fact the whole first time round the progression is double stops). It also makes use of a mix of major and minor pentatonic, though this time in a major key song.

Honourable mention to...

The Crunge
    No solo, but it gets you into the groove of Pages rhythm playing, which is arguably the most important aspect of his playing, and how it shapes his lead playing. How he shakes simple things up with a simple (or not so simple) time or emphasis shift (eg. Look for John Lee Hooker Boom Boom in riffs from Lemon song, Dazed and Confused, Whole Lotta Love solo, etc but messed up time wise).

Bron Yr Aur
    I personally feel that a lot of the Jimmy Page feel is from acoustic playing. I can't fully explain how, but there is something in this acoustic song that is the key to Jimmy Page. 20 years after I first heard it, I still am trying to pin it down (not the playing, but the 'secret'. Whatever it is, it should not be overlooked!).

4. Tobin1634

Tobin1634 Senior Member

Thanks Hogman. I agree about his acoustic playing - definitely like a rhythmic feel to his electric playing that maybe influenced. Which works out well for me since I only played acoustic for like 15 years!

5. DW4LesPaul

DW4LesPaul Senior Member

I will kill you if you ever mention to anyone ever again that they should learn "Stairway to Heaven" !!!!!!!

hahaahahaahaha

I'm still sick of that song and I haven't heard it since high school, 37 years ago!

6. DW4LesPaul

DW4LesPaul Senior Member

7. DADGAD

DADGAD Senior Member

There are a lot of Page solos that aren't too technical but nailing the "feel" and nuances can be challenging. WLL solo has some tasty bending in it that isn't so straight forward.

8. Tobin1634

Tobin1634 Senior Member

so true on Whole Lotta Love - there is one bend that like 2 steps or something!