Zeppelin solos for a beginner at lead

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by Tobin1634, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Tobin1634

Tobin1634 Senior Member

Hey guys - I'm trying to learn lead guitar and want to pick up some more Zeppelin songs. I'm fairly proficient at the pentatonic scale and I know Jimmy would use it a lot.

Can anybody offer some examples of songs where his lead parts are playable by an intermediate guitar player (for example, I can play the little stop time leads in whole lotta love fairly well even though some bends are crazy).

I'd love the solo on good times bad times but it seems like it may be over my head at the moment!

2. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Living Loving Maid

3. tzd

tzd Senior Member

Stairway?

4. Dave J

Dave J Senior Member

Good Times Bad Times is a good one. I learned a lot from that one. It is relatively simple, but sounds hard because it is fast. You should give it a try.

I'm thinking Communication Breakdown would be a good one also, and I think there is a shift from the E minor pentatonic to E major pentatonic in there. I never actually learned the whole solo, but the opening lick to the solo is a must-learn.

I also liked I Can't Quit You Babe and Heartbreaker.

I love Jimmy and got a lot of my early style from trying to mimic him. I'm sloppy too.

5. joba

joba Premium Member

This is fun to start. Just break it down one small section at a time.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cySZZ9pMgoU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cySZZ9pMgoU[/ame]

6. Tobin1634

Tobin1634 Senior Member

Thanks guys I'll give em a shot
    Page and Slash are my two guitar heros maybe I am just destined to be sloppy! Lol!

7. DADGAD

DADGAD Senior Member

For some reason, it's only now the studio stairway version makes sense to me now. I had trouble with the phrasing but oddly enough, tacking the live TSRTS solo was easier although i'm still working on it. The studio Stairway solo isn't fast or too technical but is memorable in that you can hum it and it is very well composed. Try humming an Yngwie solo.

BTW I'm prodicient at zero scales so you should be fine.

Another good solo to learn is the one for Sick again. Crank the neck volume. It's a lyrical one too.

8. Shortscale

Shortscale Premium Member

Black Dog is good for an intermediate player. Just playing the main verse and chorus parts up to speed is fun and challenging enough and the basic solo isn't too hard.

9. Tobin1634

Tobin1634 Senior Member

thanks guys!

10. Bluespower

Bluespower Senior Member

one of the first i did by ear was Over the Hills. i kinda stumbled acrossed while noodling put the record it and took it from there

11. sk8rat

sk8rat Senior Member

I would call my self an intermediate player but I have a lot of zep solos down. I found it was much better to not waste time learning his solos one by one. I learned his most used licks first and built from that. he repeats a lot of phrases in a lot of songs.

he has one specific lick that he uses on almost every single one of his major solos (the first one in the video below); good times bad times, communication breakdown, I cant quit you babe, heartbreaker, whole lotta love, since ive been loving you, stairway to heaven... he uses that lick in different variations on all those songs.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYHyXs-sY2o[/ame]

lick 5 in the video he uses in good times bad times, since ive been loving you, communication breakdown. and others.

they are fast so you may get frustrated but just practice them and maybe take a break then come back to it the next day. they may seem impossible at first but you just have to give your muscles time to get them down.

12. MusicLaw

MusicLaw Senior Member

13. Tobin1634

Tobin1634 Senior Member

Thanks guys! this is all great stuff

14. GoonerKay

GoonerKay Junior Member

Stairway to heaven is a really fun solo to learn, try some Gums and roses too as Slash(when GnR were still awesome) used to use a lot of pentatonics

15. Tobin1634

Tobin1634 Senior Member

Thanks gooner - I have in fact been learning a lot of GNR!

16. GoonerKay

GoonerKay Junior Member

Good luck with your soloing journey :)

17. Tobin1634

Tobin1634 Senior Member

thanks guys I'm going to follow up with sound clips so you can critique me!

One thing I have noticed since I have been recording myself is that my vibrato doesn't seem to always be "in tune", I assume this means I'm not doing it fast enough or bending to much or too little, its a feel thing and I need to work on it. Any tips?

18. sk8rat

sk8rat Senior Member

the key is to make sure you are bending both up and down evenly. I see people often bending up sharp so when they bend down it is flat or vice versa. speed isn't necessarily a factor unless you are bending at an uneven speed or you are bending so fast you don't have control.

19. Tobin1634

Tobin1634 Senior Member

thanks man!

20. Boppy

Boppy Senior Member

The easiest Zeppelin solos I can think of are

What Is and What Should Never Be
    Tangerine
    Celebration Day
    Misty Mountain Hop

They're all great fun to play too.