Zemaitis type luthiers?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by fenderbender484, Jan 9, 2014.

1. fenderbender484

fenderbender484 Premium Member

I've always lusted after a Zemaitis guitar and have been a huge rolling stones fan as well. I'll never have the cash to afford a genuine zemaitis guitar, but was wondering if anyone knew of luthiers who did Zemaitis replicas? I know of Teye guitars, but respect the fact he has decided to do something different.

Greco has the license, but looking for something done by a smaller luthier and probably closer to a dead replica. Not too concerned with ornate engravings (even though they're cool).

If anyone has photos to share too, more than welcome!

2. dspelman

dspelman Senior Member

Those Teyes are seriously expensive. Trussart does the steeltop series guitars with a metal piece inlaid into the top of the guitar. I'm thinking that any kind of "dead replica" that you didn't do yourself will probably be pretty expensive; I don't know of any Chinese shops that are duplicating them in a shed off the third rice paddy to the left...

Cutting the top and then beating it into the right shape can be done by your local friendly motorcycle fabricator with a power hammer and an English wheel. Talk to someone who does engraving for a local gun shop (which is where Zemaitis found Danny O'Brien) to get your plate looking pretty.

3. fenderbender484

Yeah, plus the Teye's, from reading up on them, are kind of their own thing. The Trussarts are cool but steel vs. aluminum. I guess if anyone knows of specs on them too. Like how thin/thick is the metal top? I'm thinking of something like:

[​IMG]

4. bigsnaketex

bigsnaketex Senior Member

James Trussart is the man to go to - but his stuff is really expensive. . . more so than Z's.

But he makes the best guitar available so if you've never played one, do yourself a favor and rock it!

5. Zemaitis

Zemaitis Junior Member

Some of the Japanese made before Greco got the official license was handmade guitars (by Deviser,Tune,Kidd among other real luthier based companys) pretty close in specs and shapes from the real Z

Here´s one of mine, a Deviser that i´m selling just at this moment.
    It´s a replica from a pearl front that Tony made for Gilby Clarke in 1992. Amazing guitar and amazing finished all inlaid body with mother of pearl and abalone just like Teye La Perla for example that goes for over 7.000$ i think
    [​IMG]

6. fenderbender484

What are the tonal differences between the 'top guitars and the whole steel body? Have you tried aluminum guitars? Thanks!

7. fenderbender484

Thanks for the heads up. Yeah, I had heard vague references to other Japanese makers, but have no idea who/what they were. I think the mosaic paints a cool homage to medieval and eastern art, but more of a metal-top guy myself.

8. bigsnaketex

Yes, I've played them all.

They are very different. I prefer the all aluminum ones myself but that's a very personal thing. I have several steel bodied reso's and play lots of blues.

The "top guitars" are quite amazing - I would defy you to tell there is not a wood top on it. The way he sets them up it is somehow transparent.

There are lots of YouTube video's - check out Phil X on a few from Fretted America. He can surely hash them out for you!!

9. fenderbender484

Yeah I dig the Phil X vids. I do feel the audio quality isn't there (especially in the earlier ones).

10. fenderbender484

Anyone else?

11. bigsnaketex

I also really like the Duesenberg's as well - they make several that would compare somewhat to the Z's.

12. fenderbender484

Yeah, I saw their "Johnny Depp" model, too bad they don't offer other aluminum topped guitars. Not a huge fan of the pearloid ones.

13. fenderbender484

Anyone else know of luthiers that can or could do something like a disc front? Big Ronnie Wood fan, and have always wanted a disc front. Alas, don't make the kind of money that allows the purchase of a $40,000 guitar.

14. jc2000

jc2000 Senior Member

Love Zemaitis guitars. Never had a chance to actually play one... but I've always wanted to.

15. fenderbender484

Yeah, lusted after one ever seeing pics of Ronnie Wood playing one. The Stones' tone for me is #1 in my book. Both Richards and Wood. Alright, Taylor was pretty damn good too.

16. paco1976

paco1976 Senior Member

They got a great tone. But to me Taylor has been the best guitar player ever in the Stones.
    However Richards, not being a good player himself, is the should of this band, a real bluesman, like the old ones, probably the last on earth.