YouTube?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by steelehead, Nov 8, 2013.

1. steelehead

steelehead Senior Member

I am playing with a band and relearning songs. So I thought I would use YouTube. After,tuning to what I know these song are recorded to, I play a video and it's off, not in tune...I check my tuning it's good. Try again, and same thing, find a different video and it matches.....so why are these videos being altered in the recording, and is it on purpose. I am not talking compression I am talking pitch.

I assume it's the method of recording. Has anyone else notice this?

2. John Ucol

John Ucol Senior Member

Compression has nothing to do with tuning. Sometimes, folks may alter the pitch for music in YouTube videos as an attempt to avoid getting flagged and taken down, assuming that's what you're talking about..

3. Electroman67

Electroman67 Senior Member

Some bands tune down as the tune, the band, and the vocals that made/drive the band get abused night after night, gig after gig. Papa Roach is a perfect example, they're already tuning down to a song they wrote a handful of years ago. Heavy screaming part at the end mind you....that shit takes a toll night after night.

Regarding the tune you're looking to jam with, just add the word 'studio' or 'studio version' at the end of the song title search, and that should eliminate the various tunings you're finding.

4. John Ucol

John Ucol Senior Member

That, or for some other bands- this cuts down on time for them to have to spend/waste for tuning back and forth or carry another guitar or two around for tunings differing by steps/half steps.

5. steelehead

steelehead Senior Member

Yeah, I know these songs played with em on CDs and tape... It's not that the pitch is changed.....and why change the pitch when you name the artist.

6. SteveC

SteveC Get off my f*cking lawn. V.I.P. Member

Examples????

I do this all the time and I almost never find one that, unless it is altered on the original, has tuning differences.

7. steelehead

steelehead Senior Member

Pitch seems correct-http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aqO8LpE0GU4

Pitch seems wrong-http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O9Numb8EK_4

8. blues_n_cues

blues_n_cues Senior Member

different analog players,like record or tape can run @ slightly different speeds.my old record player was always just about a 1/4 tone off.
    this doesn't apply to digital or video mediums.
    it depends on how they uploaded the songs.

9. steelehead

steelehead Senior Member

Tune down and Play along with the recordings ....you will understand

Yes I know that things change maybe the guy recorded it a while back, but it's not one instance.

10. blues_n_cues

blues_n_cues Senior Member

YouTube is not changing the pitch,either the person playing it or the machine playing it is.

what I usually do instead of trying to play along w/ YT is to convert it to mp3 then import it to my DAW & adjust the tuning to A440,drop D,or whatever the key is closest to.
    it saves a lot of headache & retuning.

11. steelehead

steelehead Senior Member

Yeah that makes sense, just more work with less headaches.....I just was picking different songs and notice it, just curious if it happen to others