Your Worst Online Guitar Buying Experience

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Gold_topped, Oct 24, 2017.

1. moreles

moreles Senior Member

Bought a bursted Orville that turned out to be fotoflame. Happy ending: the seller actually did not know the top was fotoflame -- he thought it was real! -- and was completely and instantly apologetic and gave me major cash back. (I refinished the guitar.) So the whole ncident went from WTF!!! WTF!!!!! to, "fine, thanks" in about 2 hours.

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  2. filtersweep

filtersweep Senior Member

Wut?!? A fake TOKAI? How exactly is that possible. I have a real Tokai. It is practically a fake Gibson.

bluesondoor and lemmy loud like this.
  3. lemmy loud

lemmy loud Senior Member

The only way I could get a black n gold Custom type LP was to go Japanese.
    The Tokai experience was horrible, but conversely, my Edwards experience
    with FinestGuitars on e-Bay was without a doubt, the best buying experience
    Ive ever had. IF you are adventurous, delve into the world of Tokai nerds for
    a day or two. They are intense, lol !!! Like anime kids with guitars!
    :run:

4. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

I did have a bad experience ordering from GC online about 18 months ago. I'd ordered a used Peavey VK MH-20 from a store in Georgia, for shipping to the South Austin store pretty good price. Got a call the next morning from the Georgia store: "Oops, we accidentally sold your amp." I had a conversation with the manager, knowing he couldn't do anything since the amp was already in private hands, but he got about 20 minutes of advice on how to ensure that his salespeople check online purchase listings and pull sold stock.

Don't know if he took any of it to heart. I do know that it took about a week for the chargeback to process. It was an annoyance, not the clusterf**k some of y'all have experienced; but it'd have to be an insane deal before I shop GC online again.

5. brokentoeswalker

brokentoeswalker Senior Member

Never had a bad experience buying off a forum. Had a experience on Ebay where the seller never shipped the guitar and sent me reassuring messages that were obviously drunk or drug addled lol. Had to get Ebay involved to get my money back after a month or so. Once i had a seller who's guitar didn't match up with the advertised specs and he was a total gentleman about it and we came to a mutual understanding.

People fake Epiphones and other low price guitars, so to think they wouldn't fake any guitar brand with a good reputation is a lesson you learned the hard way. I love my Tokai's and other MIJ guitars but buying online is always a risk.

lemmy loud likes this.
  6. dngrsdave

dngrsdave Senior Member

I also have a Policy of never buying a guitar I cannot play and see first. I would go through Sweetwater if I did.

I do have a Seller Beware story though. Years ago I was selling merchandise on Ebay. A winning Bidder sent me a Money Order from a Bank. I tried to cash it at my Credit Union and my Bank and they both told me it was a counterfeit check and would not cash it. I had a policy of never shipping an item until I had the cash in hand so I sent the Money order back.

Recently I've been trying to sell an Ibanez AS-73 0n CL. on several occasions I got an E-mail from an "individual" who said they will Buy the guitar and pay shipping, If they could send me a check and they will have a "shipper" pick up the guitar from me. I told them I only deal in cash with CL transactions. To me it just doesn't seem right.

7. Madhouse

Madhouse Junior Member

I never bought a guitar online. I did buy a beat up LP1 (Les Paul pre amp) from a guy in the SW I think AZ. I live in Northern Michigan.
    When I got the box it was mid November and I was busy and I put it in my unheated garage, because time of the year.....I was going to open it before Christmas but I just had a bad feeling about the box.
    I did finally open it the end of January, outside, in 5 degree temps. It was a good thing I waited.....the box had the pre-amp in it with bubble wrap and a lot of dead brown and black scorpions.......Good thing I kept the box in the cold.

8. fry

fry Senior Member

This is a common scam lately. The message usually comes from overseas, from what I can tell. There are often red flags just from the vocabulary they use. It almost always starts with "do you still have this for sale?", and when you say yes, it's off to the races with the nonsensical offer to send a money order and have the item picked up. That's why I ask them to put something specific in the subject line, and to give me more than "do you still have it?". When I get those messages, DELETE...

9. Thumpalumpacus

Word. Try before you buy.

10. fry

fry Senior Member

Weird in-person deal one time. A guy had on of those Telecaster FSR gold models, with creme DiMarzio pickups. He ran the ad for a long time, no takers. I contacted him a few weeks later to see if it was still available, the ad had not been renewed in a while. He still had it, asking $275. Good price, I agree to meet him. If it's as described, we got a deal. I'm looking it over in a parking lot, the guy says "can you do $300?" Um, no... I didn't drive up here for a negotiation. That was the only time I had someone bold enough to attempt a price increase.

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  11. Thumpalumpacus

That's like "yeah, no."

12. ToneasaurusRex

ToneasaurusRex Senior Member

Key words are "if as described." I have done it as you outlined above, we make a tentative deal and there's no changing it at meet-up time.

But another perspective is that I have met CL people with room for negotiation at the meeting. I'll never do this if I have to drive any significant distance.

13. JonCanfield

JonCanfield Platinum Supporter Premium Member

This scam has been around for years, I had several attempts like this when I was selling camera gear. Sometimes they'll offer stupid amounts extra to make it seem like a great deal.

14. ramaglia375

ramaglia375 Premium Member

I have had a couple "experiences", but none compare to this A-Hole:

One with an Ebay seller on a Gibson Traditional- Listed as "as-new/mint". His original listing was way high and I watched this guitar over the course of time. His initial listing was a "buy it now" with an "offer" option. It of course expired and he relisted it in an "auction" format. The listing still stated in very large, bold font that he was receptive to offers. So I messaged him asking what number he was looking for. The seller responded that he had already listed it with the offer option and basically wasn't hearing it. So I proceeded to notify him that his listing clearly stated "make an offer". Well he walked it back some in his next message but I should of known what I was dealing with.
    Eventually he lowered the auction to a realistic price and I won as the highest bidder. He did ask for time to provide him to get the guitar "out of storage" (found out later storage meant a pawn shop) and shipped. No problem I said, since I got a good price on it. So 8-9 days later it ships and 4 days or so later it arrives. The box itself was crappy, filled with OLD dirty newspaper, tattered pieces of bubble wrap, and a plastic bottle. These are acceptable items for packing but what the seller used appeared to be more like "trash". The factory hardcase had mud/dirt on it and was just "dirty". Like, after I handled it, I needed to wash my hands. Then when I removed the guitar and looked it over, there was a 3/4 damage spot on the corner of the body by the jack. AND it was filthy. Somebody rocked out with it and there was no shortage of dried sweat. It had appeared to have hit on something that cracked the nitro and discolored the area without denting the wood. The mark was odd, but definitely worth keeping it and buffing it out. I informed the seller who then LOL basically accused me of extortion. He claimed the mark was caused by ME and that I was just trying to shake him down. That was his response and I hadn't mentioned money in return yet. I figured I would notify him and we would work it out from there. Being the guitar was a keeper, so I let it go and proceeded to give him accurate feedback. I then called Ebay to notify them of the sellers actions because I knew he'd try and dispute my feedback. After I posted feedback, boy thats when he really flipped! He even had the nerve to message me about changing it. When he realized I was not f'ing around, he tried changing his tune.

Bottom line: Actions have consequences

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  15. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Mr. Pickles loves you. MWAH! ♥ Premium Member

Og God, I'd never buy another guitar online... and my only experience was a good one. I bought one of those Epiphone Korina Explorers for like $550. It was shipping it back within 20 minutes. what a piece of junk straight from the factory.

I'll buy stomp boxes, picks, strings - stuff like that online, it's hard to screw them up. But guitars and amps? No freakin' way man!

16. Mr Insane

Mr Insane Senior Member

My worst online experience was buying a Telecaster neck on Ebay. It was from a dealer called Stratosphere.

The neck was not in the condition they listed it as. The worst was the frets had wear not shown in the photos. It was unusable.

Contacted them, they said ship it back and they will give a refund. I ship it back, weeks go by, no refund. I contact them again, they said "Oh we got a neck back but didn't know who it was from."

Major B.S. It had all my order info with it. They say they will refund my money if I do an ebay review of the order. Whatever. I give a review, I didn't trash the seller, but I didn't give the best rating possible. They practically blackmailed me, wouldn't give me my money back until I gave them a glorious review. I should have started a claim with ebay.

In short, Stratosphere are crooks.

17. MichaelAndrew3435

MichaelAndrew3435 Premium Member

Pictures??!

JK. That sucks you had a bad experience. I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum and have had nothing but good/great experiences buying used online. I find guitars in better condition than the majority of what's hanging on the walls at a GC branded as "new" for a fraction of the price. I don't pay much attention to what Gibson releases in the future. I feel that the best is already out there.

The only negative experience I had buying a guitar online was with a CS Postmodern Telecaster. The action was awful and there was buzz pretty much everywhere. Nothing that couldn't be fixed, but I took it to a local shop for a setup, and it still had fret buzz in certain areas. I took it back 2 more times and it still had the same issue. It could be possible that the shop I took it to was the problem, or that the guitar just wasn't for me. I ended up selling it for a super low price. I didn't want to deal with trying to take it somewhere else to get it setup to my liking. I probably could have, but I decided not to.

The only items I buy new are pedals and sometimes amps. You can tell really quick if the guitar you just bought online was properly advertised by simply taking a quick look around the body, plugging it in, and playing it 5 minutes after you take it out of the box. An amp, however, has a ton of components you can't see and I consider them to be a bit more "risky" buying used. Most pedals are cheap enough new and would only be slightly cheaper used, so I figure I might as well just buy a new one.