Your Worst Online Guitar Buying Experience

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Gold_topped, Oct 24, 2017.

1. murmel

murmel Senior Member

I had one bad experience on ebay. It was a Jackson RR model, witch was advertised as new, but it had a thin crack going out from one of the tuners. For me that was clearly not new. Fortunately, the seller did not deny that the crack was there when he still had the guitar. He said that it was there when he bought it new, and the shop said it wasn't something to worry about. I did not agree and have sent the guitar back to him, but he refused to accept it, so it came back to me after two weeks. As I have payed with Paypal I invoked buyer protection, and they asked me to provide an assessment from a guitar shop, which I did send them. They wrote that the situation was now clear to them, I should again send the guitar to the seller and after providing the DHL receipt to them I would get my money back.
    So a few weeks later and after some cost for sending around the guitar and an assessment I finally got my money back.

That was the only time I bought a guitar on ebay and did not pick it up personally, which I normally always do.
    If bought several guitars online form Thomann and Musicstore, and it was all good.

2. Gold_topped

Gold_topped Senior Member

I've also had some good luck. But unfortunately I don't own a cat, so I couldn't blame the unique cat piss smell on my full trained German Shepard.

I can tolerate slight description discrepancies on items. I can't bleach a guitar and keep it lol.

3. filtersweep

filtersweep Senior Member

Lucky you. Now you actually play it.... rather than preserve it.

IGRocker and MusicIsKey like this.
  4. Crotch

Crotch Members Only Premium Member

No argument from me on that. My subtle digs towards the end of my statement were not intended to belittle OP just so we're all on the same page. I'd have sent it back too. That is of course, after i myself pissed on it.

IGRocker, BBD and Becker34 like this.
  5. Malikon

Malikon ジャンプアップ V.I.P. Member

northernguitarguy likes this.
  6. fleahead

fleahead Senior Member

Cream City Music. Douche bags. Bought a '76 Univox Ric bass (I've had a few dating back to when they came out) from them. Outside of binding discoloration, they advertised that everything was good. Got it home, neck was twisted, and inlay popped out and a tuner was bent. And they gave me a lot of shit about returning it. After a lot of yelling they gave me a discount and I turned the bass immediately and was fortunate to find a black one in great condition for less (as you would expect, these are incredibly hard to find). 22528905_180209359207663_8183065683351998881_o.jpg 22528691_180209365874329_9038620224100819017_o.jpg

7. Dick Banks

Dick Banks Senior Member

Never had a bad one, because my rule is NEVER to buy a guitar sight-unseen (and un-played).
    But recently I broke my own rule. CME had a 1963 VOS ES-335TDC with Bigsby for $2495. The lowest price I had seen on these was $4199.
    I just wasn't going to spend $4200 on an ES-335. I know this was a retailer getting rid of the last of a lot prior to moving to next year's models.
    And I was right, they are very difficult to find new now. Spoke directly to the tech who knew about the guitar, and he said it had been a floor model, but was hung up high and rarely (if ever) played.
    Got the guitar and it was (as is) in excellent shape, and I could see no evidence that it had ever been played, other than the pick guard wrapper was gone. Plays and sounds GREAT!
    But I don't believe I'll do that again, despite the great experience. It's a rule, you know. I feel like I "got away with one."

SLOPO, Roberteaux and Thumpalumpacus like this.
  8. MusicIsKey

MusicIsKey Senior Member

9. scrumm21

scrumm21 Silver Supporter Premium Member

The one bad experience I had was buying a used '05 Epi LP Custom on E-bay..."supposedly" in great shape - turned out to be 1) a "2nd"....2) had a very crappy rewired harness...3) toggle switch was crap....4) Finish had runs in it. Fortunately, the seller was quick to respond and had the situation resolved within 24 hrs with full refund and he covered shipping - Seller claimed he was selling it on behalf of a bandmate in his church praise band and had no idea it was in this condition.
    Otherwise All my Guitar purchases, except 2, have been new guitars from Sweetwater, Zzounds, Sam Ash, Musicians Friend and ...G.C. - which was my very 1st guitar. ALL went smoothly and guitars arrived in Great condition. I have bought 2 Used online from e-bay - the '05 Epi i returned......And my '88 O. by G. Custom which IS my Fav!

10. jc2000

jc2000 Senior Member

Sorry, I only bought two guitars on line. One new and one used. I had no trouble with either.

11. coupe89

coupe89 Senior Member

No negative guitar or gear experience buying online yet.

12. filtersweep

filtersweep Senior Member

Worst: bought a Tele 72 RI partscaster from TGP. Owner disclosed a bunch of issues- like using a forstner bit rather than a router- and accidentally drilling through the back- and covering it with a metal plate. It was dirt cheap- shipped neck unbolted.

What was not disclosed: bolting a Mitey Mite neck on- no fret work, no nut work. It was unplayable. It also hummed like crazy. I fixed it up a bit and sold it locally.

I had another guitar arrive with a chunk of finish missing. Actually, it arrived in the box. I blame the shipper. That guitar was otherwise as advertised- but is just dead and lifeless- a real dog. I should sell it, but it is quite rare... as if that counts for anything.

13. NewDayHappy

NewDayHappy Senior Member

Worst: Bought an Esp LTD Ec-1000 from Guitar Center that would not stay in tune, had to send it back and they kept like 15%.

Best: Bought a Stratocaster from Sweetwater with a defective truss rod. Not only did they honor the warranty, they sent me a Gibson SG as a replacement and it is a spectacular guitar.

All my local stores have mistreated me at one time or another. There is the whole debate about whether or not you should go local and I will buy local if there is something used or if I need repairs or mods done to my instruments. With that said, Sweetwater gets all my business for guitars, amps, strings and cables, you name it, they've always treated me very well and I am loyal to them above any other company.

JonCanfield likes this.
  14. fry

fry Senior Member

As I read through this, I start to remember actually having quite a few bad experiences through eBay. They all ended OK, because I fought like hell and eBay backed me up. More often than anything, it was just they were not even remotely as described, or there was something that they conveniently did not show in the photos, stuff like that. People on there like to throw around the phrase “mint condition”, that actually means something very specific. It says mint condition, and then it arrives with small dings, and a gunky build up all over the thing, like it’s been sitting out in the basement for 10 years. People can’t even make an attempt to clean the damn thing up a little bit? Sheesh!

15. NewDayHappy

NewDayHappy Senior Member

The key is finding a place with great return policies, which is why I will never bother with Reverb or eBay. Sweetwater has awesome QC and a 2 year return policy in the event of something breaking. When I sent my strat back, they sent me a box via FedEx, I met the delivery man outside with my guitar, inside the box was a return label, the driver packed the guitar up, put the label on it and it was done in 5 minutes, 1 week later I had my new guitar. There is absolutely no risk buying online with certain companies.

16. Slater529

Slater529 Premium Member

Earlier this year I bought a '90s Les Paul Special on line from a fairly well known shop. When I opened up the case, first thing I noticed was a neck crack at the head stock. I went back and looked at the photos that I downloaded from the web site, and sure enough... when I enlarged the pictures I could see the hairline crack!.

So I call the shop and spoke to the owner. At first he didn't believe it could have left the shop with a crack in the neck. But when I emailed him the enlarged photos from his own website, he apologized and agreed to take it back. I got a full refund and he paid for the return shipping too.

northernguitarguy and Who like this.
  17. fry

fry Senior Member

I bought a TV yellow Epiphone Les Paul special Junior couple of years ago, the one with P 90s. I don’t think they made them very long, and I didn’t see one coming up for sale very often. I got this one at a great price. When the guy packed it, he literally packed it in a flimsy, triangular box, the one that usually goes inside a larger box. Super thin cardboard, no padding whatsoever. The box was punctured on the back, and when I took the guitar out, there was a sharp ding in the same spot. Otherwise, the guitar was miraculously fine. I contacted the guy and gave him hell. Even though I had gotten it at a great price, I was going to push for possibly a shipping refund because of his careless packing job. The guy never responded, didn’t even have the decency to get back to me. I gave him a couple days and then I left him a very nasty negative feedback with full details to warn other buyers.

18. Thunder Dump

Thunder Dump Silver Supporter

Only two bad experiences buying online. First was unscrupulous dealer out of FL trying to sell a heavily refurbished LP as unplayed/mint. All documented here:

http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/ps...hed-guitar-as-pristine-mint-condition.389453/

Second one was a Reverb issue with a well-respected Gibson dealer in Canada with a prospective offer to purchase. Reverb got involved and resolved the issue relatively quickly.

Had plenty of good experiences, so I will continue to find the guitars I want both online and in person.

Howard2k likes this.
  19. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

In my case it was buying from a former member here who described the Guitar (2003 Stinger BRW / Brochure Cover Girl) as mint.

It was not mint, the Frets were rooted & the Pots / Wiring had been stuffed around with.

Apart form that I have not had any bad experiences. A few Guitars that sellers said were awesome that IMHO were not but most wouldn't know a good guitar if they fell over one & when they are selling the Guitar is always awesome. :rofl:

:cheers2:

20. efstop

efstop Senior Member

I've only bought one guitar online, a '14 Les Paul Melody Maker from Best Buy Canada, for like, really cheap. I had no problems with the sale or the delivery, but the satin charcoal finish was really ugly. I thought about painting it, but decided to trade it in on my MIM Standard Tele. Made $40 on the LPMM.