Your Worst Online Guitar Buying Experience

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Gold_topped, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Gold_topped

Gold_topped Senior Member

As the title says.

I bought a Goldtop from Reverb. Seller had 250+ feedback, mostly positive.

As I always do, I documented the box as it was when it arrived. Took pictures of the in boxing etc. Thankfully I did this.

Guitar arrives in a box that smelled like cat piss. And had visible stains of cat piss. As I opened the box I noticed the seller had packed it with baby diapers, plastic bottles, and a few newspaper clippings. Not impressed.

Guitar itself was in a gig bag. The gig bag had a broken zipper and corrosion all down the zipper. It REEEEEEEKED of cat piss and had cat hair all over it. The bag was disgusting.

I finally get the guitar out. Honestly I couldn't get the cat pee smell off the guitar. Even after I showered multiple times and removed the packing stuff and bag from my house. It was that bad.

So... I emailed the seller via reverb. Sent him pictures of the entire process. I wish I could have sent him smells. He FOUGHT ME and said it was shipped acceptably because the guitar was not visibly damaged during shipment.

Long story short after multiple ranting emails from him begging me to keep the guitar, reverb stepped in and made him take the return.

Did I ship it back in exactly the same shipping materials he sent me? You bet I did. After all they were acceptable according to him.

I learned that reviews and feedback don't mean a whole lot at reverb. I'll just keep buying new when it's heavily discounted, or buy local and hands on.

What's your worst experience buying a guitar online?

Attached Files:

Madhouse, Sct13 and Who like this.
  2. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

Never did... I bought watches (it went fine but I won't do it again), tools, cables, pedals online.. but never did it with a guitar..

Buying online used valuable stuff is risky !

3. Ed B

Ed B Senior Member

Reviews and feedback still mean a lot to me. Anyone can ruin their reputation in an instant like this. That doesn't meant that the reviews prior weren't sincere. We've all seen this happen.

I'm glad that worked out for you. I wouldn't consider keeping anything that smelled like cat piss. I wonder if you would have won if he packed it well. Cat piss is pretty difficult to prove over the internet. :rofl:

I've been very lucky with guitars, but their is always worry. All you can do is do your research and go with a method that provides buyer protection.

4. Mowgli5555

Mowgli5555 Senior Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg
    My story isn't too great.

Last year I bought a higher grade Telecaster from Tokyo, Japan, and it arrived with extra screw holes in the body, and in the headstock.
    It also had quite a bit of nitro imperfections on the body that weren't mentioned.

Sending it back to Tokyo would have been a pain for me, so I still own it, and just use it as a really expensive player. Josh

Malikon and rcole_sooner like this.
  5. Phil W

Phil W Senior Member

Damned if I can spot them in those images.
    I don't doubt you though and what a shame because that wood is gorgeous.

6. Mowgli5555

Mowgli5555 Senior Member

image.jpeg This hurts me to show.... Josh

Gold_topped and rcole_sooner like this.
  7. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

I can't see anything wrong in those pics... It is a beautiful guitar actually !

8. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

WHATTT !! Now I see it.. but I believe this is the hole for the holder of high 2 strings, right?

[​IMG]

Why don't you install one?

9. Mowgli5555

Mowgli5555 Senior Member

image.jpeg I have it installed, it is just removed to show the damage area.
    The extra screw holes in the body, are for different pickgaurd, and only show with the pickgaurd off(which I do on occasion).

The shame is this was supposed to be a 1/40 Custom Edition 52 Telecaster, and now I don't much care to preserve it.
    I sold my Squier Classic Vibes Tele, and this just sits in the open as a player. Oh well... Josh

10. Phil W

Phil W Senior Member

The guitar is visibly acceptable unless you remove the string-tree and/or pickguard?
    That could be a lot worse. That's a NICE guitar with anomalies.

11. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

How do those holes sound through the amp?

johnnymg, 2manyGuitars, ehb and 6 others like this.
  12. Zungle

Zungle Senior Member

Bought what looked like a mint Squier Pro Tone on line from Guitar Center.......

Took 6 weeks to get about 1000 miles via UPS ground.....

When I finally got it the body was literally snapped into 2 pieces.....

Gave a whole new definition to "2 piece body "

13. I Break Things

I Break Things Senior Member

I mostly buy new online, and I've had no problems with any of them. I've heard so many horror stories about buying used guitars, so I prefer to just order a new one from Guitar Center or somewhere. I don't ever plan on selling, so I don't mind paying the sticker price.

landguitar likes this.
  14. Who

Who Who is not here. Please leave a message.... Premium Member

My "worst" experience was being very happy with the purchase.
    My best experience was being extremely elated with the purchase.

I have had zero bad experiences buying a guitar online.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  15. Crotch

Crotch Delete My Account Entirely Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member

I haven't had a bad experience. All my sales and buys from here, ebay, reverb, and just overall buying guitars online I have had zero issues. I had a Pelham Blue Custom that showed up with a crack by the headstock I bought from Ebay. I notified the seller and he took it back the next day and paid for it to be shipped back. I'd say out of the roughly 50 guitars I have owned, maybe 10 of them have been bought face to face. But I will say that if a neck is .0000001 thicker than its measured or .00000001 pounds over what is the estimated weight I don't lose my shit over it like some do. So in other words, I'm not that picky. If I like it, I'll probably buy it.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  16. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Senior Member

This 09 Std Trad Pro. I cannot get the neck action how I want with 10-46 tuned to E Std. It is a bit twisted with this much tension. It does okay tuned to Eb Std. Really just not a great neck ... to a possible bad neck. I don't know if it got worse over time, or it just took me a while to notice, but it was too late to take issue with it by the time I noticed. Being as it was an unofficial retailer (ebay), I doubt I could get any support from Gibson. It is only 1 of 3 guitars that I bought that were brand new. It does play okay tuned to Eb. I need to get it down tonight and bang out some Eb songs on it.

[​IMG]

Gold_topped likes this.
  17. artis_xe

artis_xe Christopher Premium Member

I ordered two Gretsch models from GC __ to be shipped to store and picked up at that location . was informed that they would arrive in 5 to 7 days

took 3 weeks for the 5445 to show up , and then it wasn't even close to the quality to the one I played in the store ( which I didn't want because it was badly scuffed ) . almost as if it was a cheap copy . I'm positive counterfeiting goes on in these stores

had to wait 2 more weeks for the other one to show up . and tracking showed it was " stuck " in transit . thankfully , it was in excellent condition , but without the case I ordered with it .

wtf ? GC ?

Gold_topped and Malikon like this.
  18. Malikon

Malikon ゴジラの復活 V.I.P. Member

Rondo

Bought two Agiles and hard cases for about $1,000. Both had cracked fretboards.
    Took pics and wrote rondo and he said put fast-fret on it it would be fine and acted like i was seeing things even though you could see and feel both cracks.
    I'd already swapped pickups and wires in one of them and didn't feel like uninstalling and redoing everything so i sold them both at a heavy loss. (Since they're no-name guitars they're not worth much. )

To add insult to injury (beyond that whole 'put fast- fret on it' BS), i found out where they're made and what they really cost and felt even more ripped off.

That's when i realized the rondo business model is if you throw enough shit at the wall some of it will stick. And if you pay ridiculously low wholesale prices for your crap and have ZERO quality control, you deal in crap.....

Ill never mess with no - name brands again. I know some people like Rondo but I definitely don't.

Squier and Epiphone and Gibson and Fender are pretty much it for me.

(Though Ibanez and LTD make some nice stuff ime and i wouldn't be opposed to getting one of those. But for the most part I'll stick with The Big Two. )

19. DotStudio

DotStudio Silver Supporter

Bought this Dot off of Reverb. It's stamped "Used", which wasn't disclosed in the listing. It plays so well that I just said screw it.

JonCanfield, Who and rcole_sooner like this.
  20. jeff_farkas

jeff_farkas Senior Member

So far none. I only plan on getting one more much later on.