Your thoughts on the fake guitar market

Discussion in 'eBay Deals' started by BurstAddict, Apr 9, 2009.

1. BurstAddict

BurstAddict Senior Member

I know that we're learning a lot from this forum about spotting fakes, but the chinese copiers are too... It sucks because they are getting better and better, and are learning from their mistakes by noticing these little details on forums and stuff, and coming up with new and improved models.
    I've seen newer models with 2 screw tross covers, more accurate shapes, better color/finish accuracy, etc... Give them enough time, maybe a year or 2, and you won't be able to tell the difference anymore. You could hear it of course, but buying guitars, and guitar parts online would be virtually impossible (not that I would ever do it anyways).
    What do you guys think? Will the chinese fakes become so "real" that they screw us (the consumer) over big time by devaluing our beloved LP's and doing major damage to the Gibson company in the future? How would the market react?

2. lp_junkie

lp_junkie Senior Member

I think we are acting as QA for them, posting all the bad details of their work.
    As far as will it hurt the market, possibly but anyone serious enough to drop the coin on a new Gibson with the prices they are at should always play it before buying.

I won't spend that kind of money on any gear unseen.

3. bfcg

bfcg Senior Member

I always thought the value of your guitar came from how it feels in your hands and how it sounds to you. How could the Chinese make your LP sound bad?

4. dennistruckdriver

dennistruckdriver V.I.P. Member

True....but the very presence of the 'fakes' dilutes the market (same principle as counterfeit money), and makes potential new buyers of real bonafide items wary to spend a large amount of money on a possible counterfeit.
    My Gibsons are VERY valuable to me, and I barely know which end goes up!

P.S. Let's not go 'there' again, please!!!:rolleyes:

5. JimBobTTD

JimBobTTD Senior Member

The fakes make me angry. They are designed with the sole purpose of cheating people out of their money, passing off something as an original. I do NOT approve. They will not reduce the value of a real Les Paul, but they may make it harder to sell one which, in turn, may reduce the price of a real Les Paul.

On the other hand, I have no real beef with replicas. Strange, this double-standards thing, isn't it?

6. dennistruckdriver

dennistruckdriver V.I.P. Member

Not really. Replicas are not intended to defraud Gibson, as a kit-built '32 Ford street rod is not intended to defraud Ford, or a '68 Camaro built entirely from aftermarket parts (yes, all Camaro parts are available through the aftermarket!) is not intended to defraud Chevrolet. Aficionados of the 'real deals' will know the difference, and will not buy a fake.

7. JimBobTTD

JimBobTTD Senior Member

True, I suppose. My idea of a replica is of a guitar which is clearly marked/marketed as a replica and not a real Gibson so as not to defraud the buyer (I don't think defrauding Gibson has much to do with this, to be honest). However, I am not part of the vintage scene, and I have no idea of whether there are zillions of really great replicas which are trying to say that they are genuine '58 LPs. Probably lots. Possibly none.

8. Mr Insane

Mr Insane Senior Member

fakes are usually not as well made as a replica.

9. GNR4EVR

GNR4EVR Epi Verification Expert V.I.P. Member

Dont even get me started on this. My reasons for starting the fake thread have a lot to do with how the Chinese have all but economically wiped our jobs out, and counterfeiting is all but mopping up the mess to make sure noone has a job but them.
    First, It robs good hard working people (no matter where youre from) of a job. I mean, whos gonna buy a 2500.00 Gibby or a 700.00 Epi when you can get one for 300.00? Their aim is to turn us away from the real makers and on to them. Not to mention they have distributors all over the internet hawking their goods in a piramid scheme.
    Also, funds earned from selling counterfeits can be used for whatever you want, which is dangerous since a lot of 911 was funded by the sales of counterfeit T-shirts on NYC streets, and if you let your imagination wander a minute, theres a whole lot more money in THIS. Since people buy from the chinese and can do whatever they want with the profits, who knows where its going? Scary if you ask me.
    Its sad, and very sick of the people that sell these things all over the 'net thinking its just a harmless way to make money. Its a lot more than that.

10. Sgt.Pepper

Sgt.Pepper V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

I finally found a fake I like...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsBOE74pdEM]YouTube - Cliff Richard[/ame]

11. Purplepanda

Purplepanda Senior Member

I really do not like the idea of the fake Gibson guitars because I hate to see people pay loads of money thinking they are buying a real Gibson when really they are buying a stupid-ass fake. Thats just my opinion though.

12. DarrellRocker

DarrellRocker Senior Member

I don't think the chinese will ever take the time to put binding nibs on all the frets as Gibson does. I would be surprised if they did, because I'd imagine there's quite a bit of labor time put into doing that. If they start doing that, then we need to be really scared. The things they are doing are fairly easy changes to make (2 screw truss rod cover, aligning the knobs better, etc.).

13. SoundwaveLP

SoundwaveLP Senior Member

That should be a rule of thumb with ANY quitar below $500. Unless you know the seller or if he or she has a great reputation.. and then even so, IMO it's still better to play the instrument before buying it. I've heard too many horror stories about people hating a guitar they ordered.