Your thoughts on fender strats

Discussion in 'Fender' started by Filipem, Jul 16, 2013.

1. slapshot

slapshot Senior Member

Fender Japan
    1979-1982 Greco
    1978-1990 Fernandes
    1979-1985 Tokai

2. Bill h

Bill h Banned

I own a 2000 ash body USA strat, bought it new and yes it's a awesome guitar, I also have an mim strat and those are great guitars also. Over the years the mim strats seem to be getting better and better, they are well built guitars and can get the job done. Here is a pic of my strat and if you look at the p/up's you can see why I went to the les Paul.[​IMG]

3. Shadowplayer

Shadowplayer Senior Member

i dont understand what the hype is about American Deluxe strats. My Deluxe players has the same wiring as the Deluxe. better pups came in it and it feels better than any Deluxe i have played. A year ago or so I owned a Deluxe. Promptly sold it cause there was nothing special about it. didnt look or sound any better than any standard I have played. Bought and sold over 20 strats in the past 2 years. they really are great guitars.

4. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Senior Member

$8,000 and a four year wait and if I had the time and cash, I'd have one.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. The Archer

The Archer Senior Member

THey are made of stuff, mostly wood

6. SexyGibson

SexyGibson Senior Member

Why wait ? I have a " rare " Epiphone Strat that I will sell you for HALF of that !!! :thumb:

1 person likes this.
  7. GammyBird

GammyBird Senior Member

8. Bill h

Bill h Banned

At least it's around if you need it, I think everybody should have a strat in their arsenal

9. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    Love my USA Stratocaster in Surf Green.

Can't ever seem to get pictures posted right..bummer. New tricks..old dog..

10. Bill h

Bill h Banned

That's a cool look'in, like that color

11. fett

fett Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member

I don't have a Gibson LP. I do have some knockoffs. Some old cool ones. What's the average weight of an LP? 9+lbs? The LP is a brick. I know people love that. You can't change the neck. A busted neck? That's not good even if the body is pristine. Then there is the Stratocaster. Busted neck? Get another one. Buy a fancy pick guard and load it up. SSS, SSH. HH. Somebody mentioned Van Zangt (sp) pups. My lowly Squier Strat sounded beyond belief. There were Vans. The Strat was never competing with the LP. That's apples and oranges. I will find an Gibson LP some day. I do have a couple of USA Strats. A 1984 Standard and a 1991 Deluxe Plus.

12. WeatherBlues

WeatherBlues Member

I love Stratocasters, I think they are the best guitars in the world.
    Depending on what the tone you are aiming for, the guitar is not called the standard for nothing. If you can handle the weight of a Les Paul, you can handle a Strat. Just make sure your hands can take it, don't let the guitar own you, you own it. I've seen a lot of people over the years pick up Strats and complain about the necks for no apparent reason at all. Other brands have copied the model for years, and there is nothing wrong with Ibanez guitars, but once you pick up a Strat, that's it, you never want to go back.

A Stratocaster is made for you to beat to pieces weather it be by wear and tear or literally beating it around. Look at Buddy Guy's strats from the 60's, and look at Stevie Ray Vaughan's "Number One" guitar. Countless examples over other guitarists, the guitar is built for life. You can stretch it all over the place with higher gauge strings too. Over time though you might need it to be re-fretted depending on how much you play it. I've had my new one for only a couple months and I can tell it won't make it past 2 years before it needs to be re-fretted, but this happens to all guitars you play over time. If you are going to play on 11-13 gauge, I highly recommend immediately re-fretting to Jumbos, depending on how aggressive you play. I play extremely aggressive, but don't know about everyone else.

I prefer the more "vintage" strats and would recommend you trying them, depending on what you are aiming for. If you want an old school tone, and reaching for that, the 50's reissue models are totally worth it. Also the vintage tuners, some of us prefer those over the standard ones. Not only that, the vintage guitars look and sound so much better IMO. They are the perfect model for Blues.

Being a big SRV fan, if anyone is reaching for his tone it IS possible to reach it through the 50's reissue Strats through a Tubescreamer, and higher gauge strings. Just throwing that out there for the Stevie fans. The only downside for me personally is the Maple neck on these guitars. Just a personal preference, I prefer Rosewood over Maple any day of the week, but if you like Maple that is great!

I've been playing the guitars since I was 19. Currently I've got an MIM 2012 Strat, and I am not complaining about it a bit. It's a quality guitar, and was totally worth the price. The ceramic pickups are my only complaint. If I ever find out what the model of the ones placed in the 50's reissue strats are, I'd swamp them in a heart beat.

If I could ever get another Strat, my DREAM guitar is a Fiesta Red 50's Reissue, with a Rosewood neck. I have seen them with the Maple necks for around 750 and I'll probably end up settling for that eventually, and then swapping the neck out with a Vintage Rosewood one.

Last but not least, you can't help but fall in love with some of the colors with Fender. My favorite is the 3 Tone Sunburst and Fiesta Red.

3 people like this.
  13. Telechamp

Telechamp Senior Member

Just got a NOS 3-tone-sunburst w/ rosewood neck 2011 American Standard about a month ago. It's already my #1.

Awesome guitar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  14. RaSTuS26

RaSTuS26 Senior Member

I love the Strats, ultra comfortable, and with the modular construction they're endlessly modifiable, great machines.

But they all have maple necks guys, it's only the FRETBOARD woods that differ.

3 people like this.
  15. InsertUsernameHere

InsertUsernameHere Senior Member

Simple, workings mans guitars for when you just need that singlecoil wail.
    Definitely my favorite deign. Never met an LP I could bond with, but never met a Strat I didn't like.

16. Cozmik Cowboy

Cozmik Cowboy Senior Member

Depends on which reiss:
    American Vintage - American Vintage Single Coil '56 (or '59) Strat
    Classic Series - Vintage Style Single Coil Strat
    Time Machine - Custom Shop Fat '50s Single Coil Strat

Yes, "Single Coil Strat" is redundant, but that's what Fender calls them :dunno:

1 person likes this.
  17. WeatherBlues

WeatherBlues Member

HUGE thank you for this post mate.

I saw a Classic Series one on Musicians Friend, it's an MIM and I'm real tempted to buy it after hearing it played a few times.

I need to do more research on American Vintage Single Coil's. I love my new Strat, but the pickups are the one thing that has bugged me. They are OK, not going to say they are terrible, but not what you call great.

Many people have recommended me these Texas Specials that they put into the SRV signature strat, and even some of the Deluxe Stratocasters. I've been told several times that the tone from them is very good, but I am a bit skeptic on them. I've read many things online of people tossing them out and replacing them with better vintage pickups. I am just not sold on the idea that the pickups will totally pick up SRV's tone, without using the Tubescreamers or the other stuff he had into play.

I've recently come very close to putting '57/'62 Pickups in the MIM Strat's body, and I was told on another forum that they were much better than Texas Specials.

18. X–Ray

X–Ray Cowbell by Misadventure Premium Member

My Strat sounds as good as my LP - only different :laugh2:

:wave:

3 people like this.
  19. InsertUsernameHere

InsertUsernameHere Senior Member

I think I read somewhere the Classic 50's and 60's had '57/'62s in them.

20. MUSTANGCAT

MUSTANGCAT Senior Member

Totally bitchen!