Your thoughts on fender strats

Discussion in 'Fender' started by Filipem, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Tanqueray

Tanqueray Senior Member

Strats are awesome, and everyone should own one.

Got a 97 American Standard at a flea market for $450. It was a bit scuffed up, the backplate was missing, and the guy had aftermarket pickups, but she played nice and I had been jonesing for a Strat for awhile. Almost dropped $500 on a MIM the day before, but changed my mind for some reason. Obviously it was meant to be.

Put in some 57/62 pickups and she sounds great. I've even gone and added some more mojo by scratching the front when I friggin' dropped it. Now it has strap locks. Oh well. :laugh2:

1 person likes this.
  2. Kezman

Kezman Senior Member

My first love is a Les Paul....... I didn't play my Strat enough, I was always reaching for the Lester. :(

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. parts

parts Senior Member

I used to always have a Fender to add sounds to my LP custom..ES355..and ES175..but it's been awhile.

Now putting this 1973 body together with a 70s big head three holer maple neck..
    [​IMG]
    Then will wire it up..I have a selection of original and Duncan and Dimarzios..

Next project.. I just got another 70s big head for a Coronado 12 that I always hated..

So now it will be a six string with P90s..
    Should make some nasty racket..

Think that should round things out..but still one more body under the bed..after these..

1 person likes this.
  4. SteveGangi

SteveGangi V.I.P. Member

This. They each have their own sound, one that nothing else can duplicate (close but not the same).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. Shadowplayer

Shadowplayer Senior Member

[​IMG]

Had to sell the tele though

Then got this

[​IMG]

then sold that tele and LP (kicking myself on the LP but really needed the money)

3 people like this.
  6. tdearn

tdearn Senior Member

I love some strat tones, especially the out of phase in between sounds, it just doesn't seem to suit my playing personally. My joint number one guitars are my lp and my tele.

7. garybaldy

garybaldy Senior Member

Agree with all this.
    Bought a new standard in '97 and an HM before that but never use them. The '97 is mint.
    I fancy a Blacktop - I think I'd play that.

1 person likes this.
  8. Stevie 202

Stevie 202 Senior Member

...And when we're talking about the Standards.

Some of the higher end MIMs like the Jimmy Vaughan are pretty nice and are comparable to the MIA Standards quality wise.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. duck2k

duck2k Senior Member

I grew up playing strats. Had more strats than Gibby's. Now it is the other way around; but my one strat is awesome and is part of my gigging arsenal.:thumb:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  10. BluesDisciple

BluesDisciple Senior Member

Love them. Everyone should have at least one, and a Telecaster in their collection.

Plus a LP and an SG, throw in a Explorer and ES-355 (or so) for good measure.

Those are my thoughts on Strats.

11. THRILL606

THRILL606 Senior Member

[​IMG]

I am completely in love with the look of your Strat right now. What year is she?

1 person likes this.
  12. duck2k

duck2k Senior Member

A 2006 Fender CS 1960 relic. She is the best strat I ever owned and played!:thumb:

1 person likes this.
  13. entresz

entresz Senior Member

I've never really been able to get used to the way a strat feels to play.... but I love the sound. Especially the 2 and 4 positions of the 5 way switch. The 'quack'!

14. GibsonMarshallGuy

GibsonMarshallGuy Senior Member

My thoughts? Well, I heard they're made of wood....

2 people like this.
  15. Filipem

Filipem Senior Member

Turns out the one I had my eye on sold yesterday. They had a couple more there but they were a different color. The store was clearing out what they had in stock. To order a new one with taxes will cost almost $2000.00

At Gregs Guitars. Checked out your website. I will definitely consider buying one from you. I'll send you a PM once I see one that catches my eye. My only fear will be the cost to ship to Canada after freight, taxes and customs fees. Great prices for anyone living in the US.

16. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Senior Member

As I got older than became less of an issue as the belly cut had a belly to deal with.:shock:
    I did, however learn as a fact that I can't abide 7 1/4" fret board radius.:fingersx:

17. SexyGibson

SexyGibson Senior Member

I love Strats; they have become my guitar of choice, but I would never drop 2 grand on a Strat.
    The great thing about Strats, other than the tone, is that they are so easily moddable; build your own and for $1000 or less you could have a KILLER Strat.

3 people like this.
  18. joeobrien

joeobrien Senior Member

+1

Absolutely agree with this. My Strat (MIM) is my #1. After a few choice mods it's become a great guitar and gets played every day. Way more than my Goldie. That said, $2-3K on a CS model seems a helluva lot. You just don't need to do that (IMO).

19. gilmourjunkie

gilmourjunkie Senior Member

Love them. Meixcans are going to even come close to a Deluxe. You may find an OK one but nothing like Deluxe. Have you checked out these at Wildwood? The thin skin ones are supposed to be amazing. Either way, they can usually do a good deal and pick out a great one. they helped me with my PRS. Worth an email for sure, they can usually do better than their advertised price.

Electric Guitars, Acoustic Guitars, Amps, Accessories & more | Wildwood Guitars

20. classic

classic Senior Member

I like them.
    They are very comfortable to play, and they have that different sound to the LP what you'll need again and again ...

That MIJ with a more percussive tone ...
    [​IMG]

... and that Frankenstrat for the bluesey vibes ... for the pups I went Texan, VanZandts.
    [​IMG]