Your Personal Les Paul Goal

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by frozenotter, Oct 6, 2017.

What is your Personal Les Paul Goal?

1. To have only 1 - your beloved pride and joy

9 vote(s)
    16.4%
  2. To have just a few - say, less than 3

15 vote(s)
    27.3%
  3. I only have a certain predefined set that I would like to acquire

11 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. I like to buy then flip for another when I feel it's time to changeup

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  5. I'm an ongoing collector and keeper - gimme more!

15 vote(s)
    27.3%
  6. I'm and ongoing collector and keeper - no more!

3 vote(s)
    5.5%
  1. frozenotter

frozenotter Down with the Sickness

Do you look to have one, collect, flip, a certain combined set? Let us know! :)

brianbzed, cherrysunburst00 and Bemis like this.
  2. Jeremiah

Jeremiah The Worst Premium Member

My goal? To learn to play them, of course

Who, Lloyd_m, frozenotter and 4 others like this.
  3. Hector Arcadius

Hector Arcadius Senior Member

I would like to own a couple of Les Pauls and a total of 4-5 electrics (top maximum). We are very fortunate to have a plethora of fantastic instruments, nowadays, at all price points. The problem is not so much acquiring them. The main problem, for a family guy at least, is find the time to enjoy them all.

Classicplayer and Bemis like this.
  4. Bemis

Bemis Senior Member

I just checked the cherry burst off my list. I still need a GT. I could happily stop with the three I have, but where is the fun in that? I had it in my head at some point that I should own a custom shop, so we shall see. :laugh2:

5. jc2000

jc2000 Senior Member

I only have one LP. An anniversary gift from my wife so it has to be the one! Luckily I did bond with it right a way and love it still. I would some day like to add a CC model or R8 plain top to my family.

Bemis, Lloyd_m and frozenotter like this.
  6. DarrellV

DarrellV Murry Chrirstmers to earl! Silver Supporter Premium Member

Like the new avatar pic! :thumb: Looks like he's getting ready to dive in for a swim, but someone filled his tub with ice cubes and he's like :wtf: I'm not jumpin' in there!

:rofl:

To the OP, I most likely will only have this one and for that I am thankful. It will be a few years before it is paid off, so no more in the mean time.. They are just too rich for my budget!

But in an ideal world, yeah, I'd like a couple more...

7. 1all's Pub

1all's Pub Senior Member

This is a good question... and I'm not sure I know the answer just yet. In the poll I chose "I only have a certain predefined set that I would like to acquire"...but in truth it's not really "predefined"... at least not yet. Really a better way to describe it would be "post-defined"... ie, I'm working my way towards it and I'll know I've found it after the fact (actually, I think I am pretty close with my current crop, but I need to sit on it for a while and see if it that's true or not ;)).

But I am defintely not someone who just wants one (or less than three) and I don't want an endless supply of them either (at some point, for me, having more and more of something starts to diminish its "special-ness"). I currently have 4... that seems to be a good number for me, I think. I considered getting a 5th, but decided against it (so far)... that might be the "too many" number for me (I also have a few other non-LP guitars as well, of course).

Bemis, DarrellV, Lloyd_m and 3 others like this.
  8. Slick

Slick Senior Member

Not a collector, guitars are a tool to do a job and my Les Paul sits way down towards the bottom of the list of my preferred regular squeezes.

Bemis, RichBrew and cherrysunburst00 like this.
  9. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

I really nifty idea for a thread.

There was a time when I wanted to have a collection of all sorts: Deluxe (LOVE that pancake body & mini buckers), the different incarnations of Standards (but there's just TOO MANY), a Studio Lite (the whole balsa insert thing is really intriguing).

But I've been doing lots of thinking. That ties up lots of ca$h money and it's a shame for them to just be sitting, when someone else can really enjoy them. So, I've decided to start paring them down. Starting with my '11 Standard. I think the chambering is SO FREAKIN' COOL, but it just doesn't get played.

I didn't vote because my place in life isn't listed. Still, COOL THREAD

frozenotter likes this.
  10. Al Walker

Al Walker Senior Member

I have a Kit doublecut Junior, a humbucker Junior and a 60s Tribute. My goal is to have a Special. I prefer slab bodied guitars with P90s.

11. Donal

Donal ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Premium Member

Well you know my answer, Oh and I am not alone:D

gits.JPG

But to be hohnest I don`t really have a goal. As in, no ultimate goal. One day I am happy, the next I have to many and the next I see something I just want and buy it.

Now, eventhough many won`t believe me, I have been considering selling off a few, I just don`t know which. :dunno:

I "need" a Candy Apple Red Standard or Custom. I "need" a Black Custom Lite. I "need" a 2018 Classic Goldtop with P90s (I like the black and blues as well :facepalm:) - Alternative here would be a real 50s.

So which do I "replace" with the above :hmm:

Or maybe I will just hapen to get them as well.

Bemis, GibsonKramer, DarrellV and 3 others like this.
  12. frozenotter

I know exactly where you stand, Donal. I think we walk on the same path with these damn things. I was looking for a '57 Custom as you know, stumbled on a candy apple Custom (influenced by you, by the way, though you don't know this - you commented on one posted here and it was killer!) and had to get it. Now I NEED a pelham '11 Custom and still ....the '57.

When the time is right (or wrong for that matter), I'll dump what I have to ...in pecking order, of course. :)

cherrysunburst00 likes this.
  13. DarrellV

DarrellV Murry Chrirstmers to earl! Silver Supporter Premium Member

MSB, frozenotter, Bemis and 2 others like this.
  14. frozenotter

Here it is in an online pic....

[​IMG]

15. NewDayHappy

NewDayHappy Senior Member

16. bwillard

bwillard Senior Member

I think it's pretty obvious how I voted. :)

17. TheWGuitar

TheWGuitar Senior Member

I have 2 Epi's, my goal is to someday have one super nice Gibson. I don't know how easy/hard it will be to find when the day comes that I can afford it, but I'd love to have a "birth year" LP. So my ideal one would be to find either a white or black '81 LPC. I love those.

EDIT: Silverburst would work too, I always see quite a few of those for sale!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    DarrellV and frozenotter like this.
  18. skynyrdwillriseagain

skynyrdwillriseagain Member

I don't really need any more at this point, but could see myself picking up an R8/9 or whatever they're called now in ice tea and a white custom within the next decade.

Perfect world would probably include a tobacco burst, black custom and probably a norlin.

19. SoCal Flood

SoCal Flood Silver Supporter

The only additional LP I MUST have is a '57 Black Beauty reissue. However I have a feeling over the years there will be at least a few others added to the stable. A nice honey burst already comes to mind :acoustic:

20. dspelman

dspelman Senior Member

I don't collect, but I do accumulate. I have no plans to acquire more, and I haven't seen anything from Gibson that would change that. I'm no longer a fan of nitrocellulose finishes and currently prefer guitars with smooth neck heels, better access to upper frets, flatter radii fretboards (with better woods!) and larger stainless frets, none of which Gibson provides.

frozenotter likes this.