Your opinions on 1983, 1990-92 prehistorics?

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by cherrysunburst00, Mar 27, 2017.

1. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

Hello, Friends. I am finding my R9 neck to be too beefy. R0 is nice, but I like the idea of a "holy grail" R9 with a slightly beefier neck.

My ideal neck is the early '90s LP Standard and Custom (I think it is called "rounded 59").

So, my question is would a prehistoric be more apt to be up my alley? I like 83 because that is the first time Gibson called them "reissue standards" plus it is thr year I graduated high school. I also like 90-92 because those are my 90 Standard and 91 Custom.

My other choices are to give up on owning a 59 reissue and sell the R9, have Historic Makeovers reshape my neck.

2. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

83's are pretty much a production type guitar, with maybe a few cosmetics like a 2-piece top making them more 'reissue' type.
    In fact the early 90's are about the same.....

If you have a specific target neck in mind, the HM might be the way to go. Scarcity is an issue, and there is no guarantee any of the older guitars have consistent neck shapes making the search possibly long.

3. cherrysunburst00

Thank you AR. I ALWAYS value your input

4. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

No prob!

The other thing is that you already know the guitar you have. Other than the neck, if its got the feel for the most part, then the neck reshape is the last piece of the puzzle.

5. alnico59

alnico59 Premium Member

I only played one Heritage reissue, 1980 I think? But it was so long ago. Other than it being heavy, I forgot most other specifics about it. However I more recently had the opportunity to play a Guitar Trader '59 flame top reissue from 1984. The neck one that particular guitar was in my mind perfect. I actually was set up to buy it. However in the end another guy wanted it more than me $$$$.

6. jamman

jamman Premium Member

I don't believe , you can "Pick" a time era and say that all necks are.... Gibson's hand finished necks make them all a bit different . Yes some runs have/had thinner or thicker necks , but imo , how it feels in hand can widely vary . That has much to do about that necks Shoulders , or lack of ....
    If you found a neck size you liked , getting it's measurement #'s (1st. ,5th. ,9th. and 12th.Frets) will help you focus in on any guitar that might be workable for you .... At the same time eliminate those which wouldn't .

A neck shave is a great option ,imo , as long as it's possible to get the neck to where it's comfortable for you ... Only so much wood can be taken off . But , imo can be the best choice to get it made ,as good as it could be ,for you .

I did it once , with a new 345(IIRC like 2-3 weeks old) that had a huge neck . made into a very Vintage depth R9 neck (.920 shaved down to .870) and It went from considering selling it to being an absolute keeper .... best $600 ive ever spent on a guitar.

7. strat1701

strat1701 El Diablo Cazador De Hombres Premium Member

get a great topped R8 or R9 used, and send it to historic makeovers. Their 'standard' neck carve if you want it redone will bring it down to a correct '59 year' average. Here were my dimensions before and after:

1st .914
    5th .951
    9th .985
    12th 1.010

after letting HM use their average:

1st .881
    5th .924
    9th .963
    12th .982

Very comfortable neck now and that is a pretty big difference in before and after, and yes that original neck was a TH 'R9'. HM gets their dimensions they use from a few real bursts, one of them Joe B's at one time IIRC they said. From all I have read, 59 year bursts averages in that .880-.890 range taking the samples.

I'd explore that avenue vs. tryiing to find a diamond in the rough with the 90's eras offerings. I had a 91 studio and I currently have a 96 studio lite. Those necks are comfortable, but I think only the USA line stuff currently will get you anywhere close. Not going to happen with Custom Shop production. Yes they are still all hand honed, but you're going to be trying/buying/selling/moving onto the next one to find 'the' one, I think it'd be better to find a reissue with a top you totally love, and if the neck needs work, send it to Kim. Just my .02

8. cherrysunburst00

I just played it some more, and I love that guitar. The feel is terrific, just a bit too beefy.

I used to think that heavy was better, but I've been schooled on the desirability of lighter weight for R's.

Thanks so much. I have heard the refrain over and over about the hand work involved, and repetition further ingrains it in my mind. If I may ask a personal question, where did you get it done? If I have it done, I'm thinking Historic Makeovers.

Your .02 is worth a treasure trove :) I have one whose top I just feel :wow: about. It may seem "meh" to others, but it is perfect for me. At the moment, I'm leaning towards getting it reshaped.

[​IMG]

9. cherrysunburst00

I REALLY cannot thank all of you enough for your patience and kindness. Even if the questions are repetitive, your willingness is much appreciated.

At the moment, I think I'm either going to keep my R9 as is, OR get it Historic Makeovered.

It appears as though the dimensions they use are slightly larger than my beloved '90 and '91, BUT, I've come to see that these guys really know what they are doing. Plus, I think shaving some of my R9 neck will pay HUGE dividends. Besides, what good is it if all my guitars feel exactly the same. My R0 (2010 50th V3) and an'04 Standard I have both have the 60s neck and I can interchange those and my 2 '90s era ones without issue.

ANYWHO, I ramble, but

[​IMG]

10. strat1701

They (HM) can even pretty much match your existing color if you prefered as well. They did on mine and in fact I think they brought out some flame more. I wanted a nice deep cherry. They nailed it in my book.

Before:

[​IMG]

after:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. cherrysunburst00

:wow:

HOLY SCHIMOLY What a Beauty

12. trapland

trapland Silver Supporter

I used to love the 90s Gibson USA standard 59 rounded neck. I found a 1987 preHistoric goldtop and it's got a great neck. Much like those 90s necks but just a touch rounder.

Just have to say, it's really not anything like the standard Les Paul's from the late 80s-mid 90s. There so many nice differences. The carve is different, the routing too. The binding is light cream colored instead of pink. The binding is rounded on the neck and where your forearm rests. The maple top is highly flamed under the gold. The logo is high like a 50s era. The pore filler is tan, the mahogany is lovely. It has an extended tenon too. It's just under 9 lbs.

It's a great guitar and if you like the profile it's a great choice.

13. Oranjeaap

Oranjeaap Senior Member

Don't those have weight relief and short tenon? If you want 'holy grail' I'd stay away from those.

14. Progrocker111

Progrocker111 Senior Member

I would much prefer for their price current Historic 2013 and later reissues (except 2015) over these. They are basically constructed like serial production guitars, only with some small visual differences.

15. strat1701

swiss cheese and short tenon yes. However I'd kill to have my 91 studio which had those features in it back in my hands. I think we all can agree the one thing a 'historic reissue' should be is simply that....an accurate as you can get to the original iteration and issue of the guitar. The 90's studios and standards were a decent iteration from the classic design. Yes the purists will decry them, but they were (and are) still great guitars. The only reason you should avoid them is if you were specifically looking for an 'accurate' iteration which we all know these are not.

16. roeg

roeg Senior Member

I would tend to agree.:D.

I did checkout a 1989 prehistoric Flame top '59 once back in the day,but never picked it up because of the pricetag:shock:....and quite rare,i've never seen another.

That being said the difference between my 2010 R8 neck(chunky with shoulders) and my 2011 R8 neck is quite significant.The shoulders on my 2011 R8 are almost non-existant.I would suggest keeping your eyes peeled for a 2011 Historic,if the trend that year is consistent with mine.May not be as thin as an early 90's,but mine is close.

17. cherrysunburst00

A POWERFUL lot to think about here. I have decided 1 thing: the prehistorics are out. I still want an '83 for sentimental reasons, but I'll just wait for an '83 Standard.

I'll also check for a post 2010 R9. Mine is 2010. I'm going to also see if there are any that have been "Historic Makeovered" (sic) available. At the moment, that is the route I'm leaning towards, but they have not replied to my e-mail. Perhaps I'll call them. I just want the neck shaved and then refinished to the tone that it is presently. I don't want it aged, and I want the serial # preserved.

Edit: Just got off the phone with Kim, what a really nice upfront fella :thumb: and he does not simply do neck reshapes; it needs to be an entire refinish. I totally understand his reasons.

So, back to square 2 (I have eliminated square 1)

18. strat1701

While they have to do the whole guitar, you'll be getting a better one in return. They don't have to do ANY aging if you didn't want it, not even light checking. Mine had several turns in and out of the freezer, but if I literally just wanted them to shoot it with their nitro, let it cure, and no freezer rotation, that was always an option. Won't knock the price down if you opt for no aging but they will redo your same exact serial the guitar had, but with correct 50's typeface. Looks kinda cool if you ask me. I'd even surmise they could drop off the 'R' on some 16 reissues if they were re-doing them. For me basically wanting the same thing you did, (just the neck) they didn't have to take the neck off, remove the binding or all that. The stripping/sanding was done very fast. Total time for mine was probably 9 weeks which is not bad considering. Mine was delayed somewhat because it was refusing to check, so it had to endure more shifts in and out of the freezer.

19. trapland

trapland Silver Supporter

As the owner of a preHistoric, and having examined others, I have to disagree that they are just production guitars. Mine isn't.yes they are NOT as authentic as today's Historics but they are a damn sight away from a production model of their day.

In fact the 59 rounded neck profile is probably the most similar part to the production guitars from the 80s. The woods were hand picked, the binding is different, the finishes were different, and many other things. It's more realistic to say they were like early Historics with a few features like the production models than the other way around.

If you love that neck profile, you either have current historic re shaped or find a different guitar. I would not rule out the preHistorics. It will be your guitar, you decide.