Your Opinion On This Possible Trade

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by krall, Apr 10, 2012.

1. krall

krall Senior Member

I've definitely thought of that scenario and will bring money with me, but keep in mind he contacted me to do a possible trade..The impression I got is he's going back home with his or mine..But you never know..I might be able to wrangle it out of his hands and i'll have both!

1 person likes this.
  2. 7gtop

7gtop Premium Member

........... This would be the sweetest outcome.............. :applause:

3. BCRGreg

BCRGreg V.I.P. Member

After owning close to 200 different ones(some twice or three times!) in the last 30 years, I have kept the ones that are the most similar. There are no bad ones, but some are better.

4. decoy205

decoy205 Senior Member

Greg's juniors really made me change my mind about guitars in general. Hearing him play one is a very cool experience! I would take the TV hands down. '59 neck rarer finish.

good luck and get pics when you can!

5. Liam

Liam V.I.P. Member

Got to say, given the choice, I'd make the trade for the sake of the bigger '59 neck. I've got a cherry '59 DC in amongst my collection - super light one - and must say I'd love a TV one. They are ultimate hooligan's guitar, ideal for 70's glam punk. Somehow the bigger neck makes them more so...

LIam

1 person likes this.
  6. krall

krall Senior Member

Well, the guitar/swap meet was this past Saturday..The guy was a little late, but he did show up..Without the TV Junior :(

He said he had played it again that morning before coming over, and decided he couldn't do it..And fearing I might entice him to change his mind he didn't bring it. I felt bummed out and deflated, but still managed to keep my smile, I invited him to play my '60..He loved the way it played/sounded..So I simply told him he had my number and that if he ever decided to change his mind again, to get back with me.

I figured a good way to cheer myself up would be to buy another old wood Gibson at a good price..I spied this '62 Melody Maker there in great shape..It didn't sell during the show and once the show was over and the seller was walking out the door I caught him outside..Within a few seconds I could tell he was motivated in selling it and was disappointed it didn't sell..I offered him a couple of hundred less than his "firm" price..And realizing this was his last chance to sell, he took up on my offer.

The thing is feather light, weighing a little less than 6 lbs! Very resonant..Only downfall is the bridge pickup, i've already contacted a couple of pickup makers that reproduce a MM pickup..I'm leaning towards getting a Curtis Novak MM-90 (P90 styled pickup in a MM single coil sized pickup) CurtisNovak.com - Pickups and Guitars | Melody Maker 90 Pickup

Took quick pics, lighting was bad, sorry:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  7. sangandongo

sangandongo V.I.P. Member

Good purchase. I love my '63 MM D. I also have a '65 Epi Olympic which is similar, but has a better neck. They're pretty spectacular guitars, despite all the haters. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. 7gtop

7gtop Premium Member

.... Nice score nonetheless krall ........ :applause: :applause:

9. 7gtop

7gtop Premium Member

..... I like these ...... mmmmmm ........... :D :applause: