Your Opinion On This Possible Trade

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by krall, Apr 10, 2012.

1. krall

krall Senior Member

Alright, I have an excellent condition (and 100% original) 1960 Les Paul Junior..I've shown pics of it on this forum a little while ago, and will show one again at the end of this message.

I love this guitar: love the fact it's in great shape, all original and has one hell of a hot/amazing sounding P90 pickup. It's perfect for the 70's glam/punk style my band plays.The only slight negative (for me) is the neck carve..It's got the thinner 60's neck, which i've gotten used to, but i'm over 6 feet tall with long fingers/large hands and prefer the beefier necks overall.

Ok, so a few hours ago I got a call from a gentleman (he lives 3 hours away) who has a 1959 Les Paul Junior TV..I've met him before and seen this guitar in person a couple of years ago..There's a gear show locally this Saturday, he's coming down and he wants me to bring my Jr to the show. He suggested we could maybe trade..He's looking for a thinner neck Junior. Getting a very rare '59 TV yellow Junior with that fat neck was something I thought i'd never own, so now i'm pretty giddy..BUT...

I think most of you would say "Do it!" but here are my concerns:

His TV Jr has a small "British flag" sticker close to the tone/volume knobs..It actually looks cool, I thought it was just a sticker..but turns out there's wood damage in that area (I think the damage is over the control cavity, and may have cracked all the way through), and the sticker was placed there to hide it. Still not sure how bad it is, and how much it affects value. He doesn't have the original alligator case and i'm a bit worried about the P90 pickup. The one in his guitar could be as great or better than mine, I don't know yet.

I know it comes down to playing both and making a decision based on how it plays/sounds/feels in my hands..But would you guys still do the trade knowing that i'm trading a 100% original guitar in near mint shape for one that has damage but is much rarer, desirable and valuable? (everything else is original on the TV I believe)

What are your opinions?

Pic of the '60:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. 7gtop

7gtop Premium Member

Im really sorry ' bout this man ........
    I couldneva get rid o that there GUITAR ........ Sir :wow:

3. dwagar

dwagar V.I.P. Member

Get ahold of Greg. He can advise you on the value difference, can repair the crack if you want to.

Play the '59, if it's got the neck you want, I'm in the club that says "do it"

4. sangandongo

sangandongo V.I.P. Member

If the guitar sounds/plays better, I'd advise going with the TV. The crack to me seems unimportant overall and could easily be fixed. Value-wise, the TV will be superior, even after repairs.

5. SeanHeffer

SeanHeffer Member

You're junior is perfect. keep it. IMO

6. cheetah77

cheetah77 Senior Member

I lust TV Juniors, but your 60 is f*cking beautiful.

Get pics of the damaged TV, have Greg check it, go from there.

7. raul

raul Senior Member

+1

8. Electric Funeral

Electric Funeral Senior Member

You'll know when you play the TV and compare the two of them.

You're obviously buying it to use it, so I'd say go for whichever feels best and sounds best for you. If his isn't fully original he may be okay with you swapping the P-90's if the one in yours sounds better.

If I was ever in the position to own one I'd buy whichever one felt right and sounded best over which one was most valuable or aesthetically desirable.

By the way, that PARK amp is awesome! Uber-collectible tone machines they are.

9. Oranjeaap

Oranjeaap Senior Member

Play it and find out if you like it or not.

10. krall

krall Senior Member

Since i'm pretty new to this forum, could you please direct me to this Greg? I don't know who he is.

And thanks to everybody who has responded with suggestions so far!

11. dwagar

dwagar V.I.P. Member

Greg at BCR Music, he's King of vintage Juniors.

12. BCRGreg

BCRGreg V.I.P. Member

Did I hear my name?

1959 TV Juniors are perfect.

Get it. Who cares about a little ding here or there?

For reference, the 59 TV that will never leave my hands, with a couple siblings....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Clean is for pots and pans. Get the one that FEELS and SOUNDS good.

6 people like this.
  13. krall

krall Senior Member

Crazy collection Greg! Well, we'll see how things work out Saturday..If I get it and it needs a little tlc, i'll get a hold of ya! :dude:

14. 7gtop

7gtop Premium Member

:applause: :applause: :applause:

W o W ....... :wow:

1 person likes this.
  15. BCRGreg

BCRGreg V.I.P. Member

They all get played on stage, too. No trailer queens here.

3 people like this.
  16. krall

krall Senior Member

Do they all play/feel fairly the same, or are there noticeable differences between the same models?

17. MisterDistortion

MisterDistortion Member

To OP, I would keep your Guitar just because its "Yours" it belongs to you(Originality.) But if you really feel the need of the 1959 fatter neck, than I guess playability beats looks. It's all on you.

18. floyd84

floyd84 V.I.P. Member

I have a 59 Junior, 52 Les Paul, and two 69 Les Pauls. They all have the best feeling beefy necks, with just the right shoulder rolloff. I'm sure once you try it, you'll love the feel. They play great and I feel less fatigue than the thinner Norlin necks, when I play for a few hours
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. Actinic

Actinic Senior Member

One Junior is never enough. Add a second one to your collection, and you don't have to part with the 1960. Prices are so low now, compared to a few years ago, any serious player or collector should be looking to add, not subtract or swap. Also, unless you own 10 or more examples, you won't really find two that sound identical. That's another reason to own more than one. (At least that's what I tell the wife).

20. HOT-BRIT

HOT-BRIT V.I.P. Member

Play it and then base your decision on your evaluation