Your opinion on the MiM Classic Player 60's Strat

Discussion in 'Fender' started by LpPepper, Nov 14, 2010.

1. LpPepper

LpPepper Member

Getting one of these soon . I really love the look of the Sonic Blue one .

What are the new ones like? I've heard that they "aren't as good anymore" because the pickups aren't wound by Abigail and that the trem unit isnt the same ?

Also while I'm here , Im a lefty and because Fender only make Lefties of the Standard MiM's , Im going for this . Will my tech be able to just flip the nut around AKA no new nut needed?

Thanks

2. alankelly

alankelly Senior Member

I'm a lefty too, and had no issue flipping the nut around on my MIM Strat.

3. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

I believe they are the same bridge, but they new ones use a different trem/sustain block than the early run. Still good, but wouldnt hurt to be upgraded. The pickups are no longer signed by Abagail, but from my understanding they are still CS69s

I think they are great guitars, I have a sunburst model, I love the neck shape and the 12" fretboard radius. the tremolo is great too, the best non-floyd unit Ive used

4. nick1962

nick1962 Senior Member

A fantastic guitar. Great build quality, plays like a dream.

5. gcat

gcat Senior Member

They're great! The recent ones use the 2 point trem, which is excellent. Don't buy into the pickup BS either.

6. LpPepper

LpPepper Member

Thanks for all the input guys :)

I'm still stuck colour wise , I know I said that the Sonic Blue is nice but so is the Sunburst , :confused:

Whats your guys preference's?

7. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

for me sunburst is the classic strat color, thats why I got mine. The sonic blue is more rare and distinquished though, Ive been tempted to buy one of those too :laugh2:

8. gcat

gcat Senior Member

Sonic Blue!!! much less common.

9. StratJeff

StratJeff Senior Member

I've got a Sonic Blue one. The things I notice about it- the neck is a bit fatter than a USA Standard, so it feels a little more tele-ish in your hand, and the CS69 pickups (which ARE signed by Abigail if you got a 2006 (designated by the emblem on headstock) or younger Strat) have a lower output than my other Strats, so a little volume boost is in order. However, it does have a great chime to it, I love the 2-point bridge, and it is a player's Strat.

I really like it!

10. LesLuvva

LesLuvva Senior Member

Yup - what he said. Dynamite guitar, regardless of who wound my pickups. I have the sunburst - a real stunner. The sonic blue is okay, but I think the mint pickguard takes away from it (but you could always swap it out). The only "issue" I have is no reverse wound middle pickup, so no noise cancelling in the #2 & #4 position, but so what. It's still a great guitar (my favorite) - no regrets.

11. Leumas

Leumas Senior Member

Who is this Abigail? :laugh2: I think either would be killer. Being stuck between Sunburst and Sonic Blue is a good problem to have. :thumb: I'm a big fan of tort guards myself too...