Your opinion on a 2001 Gibson LP 58 Custom Authentic

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by cheopsnet, May 31, 2009.

1. cheopsnet

cheopsnet Senior Member

Hi,
    A friend of mine came across this guitar. A Gibson LP 58 Custom Authentic Yamano.
    What is the story behind this name? How is it ranked quality-wise and sound-wise compared to other reissues, VOS,... I am kind of lost with all the different names and finishes. This one looks nice to me. How much do you think it is worth? I was told the production of this model ended in 2005..

How do they rank playability and soundwise? Good, bad? What about the neck..

I am just looking to know more about it.
    Thanks so much

Attached Files:

2. cheopsnet

cheopsnet Senior Member

He is thinking of getting the guitar mentioned above or this one:
    Murphy Aged 60 reissue with Hard Rock Maple top Yamano

Which one would you recommend he gets. We both like the flames of the 58, but it appears that the 60 is much more expensive. Is it justified?
    Thanks

Attached Files:

3. sprbld417

sprbld417 Senior Member

My opinion? It's a les paul standard shipped from USA to Japan. Yamano was a dealer I think that sold gibson guitars made in the USA. Yamanos have cut gibson off a couple of years ago if I can remember.

I'm making it very brief though and my info is either missing a shitload or completely wrong. Maybe the first one though.

I'd name a '58 if it has a 50's neck, and a '60 if it's a 60's neck.

4. MesaBoogie

MesaBoogie Senior Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There ya go, can't help with the specifics though...

5. Liam

Liam V.I.P. Member

As explained, Yamano is a premium guitar dealer in Japan, with sufficient clout to get the guitars they want out of Gibson (or at least they did back then). The guitar in the picture looks like a historic to me, but I'm not sure any shipped with those tuners. Could do with some better pictures, but I don't think it's a Standard. Guitars rate as good as any other reissue for quality and sound. VOS finishes weren't available in 2001. Either came glossy and new, or lightly aged (Custom Authentic - much rarer).

Necks are chunky on '58, thinner on the '60. All of them play OK, but might need the frets leveling as they were a bit hit and miss before they got the Plek machine. What year is the Murphy? (got to be 01 or 02 with the old white COA I guess? Can't remember when they went orange). Murphys are more expensive as they are much rarer and more desireable.

Not much moving at the moment so hard to put values on them. Assuming both are fairly mint, and they are what they say they are, I'd go no more than $3k (USD) for the '58 Yamano and I'd try to get the '60 Murphy for under $5K. But the R0 Murphy is a fairly rare thing, and if the seller knows what he's got he'll hold out for more.

(I'm assuming the '58 Yamano is real. Get better and more detailed photos, including inside the control cavity ideally, and I can telly you.)

Liam

6. cheopsnet

cheopsnet Senior Member

Thanks for your expert advice. I have attached more pics of each, as I am hesitating. Here is the '58 CA, first series of pics

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      45.8 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      29.1 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      68.4 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      38.1 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      31.5 KB
      Views:
  7. cheopsnet

cheopsnet Senior Member

Here is the same 58 CA, 2nd round of pics

Attached Files:

• 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      34.3 KB
      Views:
    • 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      15.5 KB
      Views:
    • 8.jpg
      8.jpg
      File size:
      21.7 KB
      Views:
    • 9.jpg
      9.jpg
      File size:
      66.6 KB
      Views:
    • 10.jpg
      10.jpg
      File size:
      57.8 KB
      Views:
  8. cheopsnet

cheopsnet Senior Member

Now for the Murphy Aged 60 reissue with Hard Rock Maple top Yamano, series 1

Attached Files:

• 11.jpg
      11.jpg
      File size:
      53.4 KB
      Views:
    • 12.jpg
      12.jpg
      File size:
      87.9 KB
      Views:
    • 13.jpg
      13.jpg
      File size:
      37.5 KB
      Views:
    • 14.jpg
      14.jpg
      File size:
      40.5 KB
      Views:
    • 15.jpg
      15.jpg
      File size:
      38.3 KB
      Views:
  9. cheopsnet

cheopsnet Senior Member

Murphy Aged 60 reissue with Hard Rock Maple top Yamano, 2nd round of pics

Attached Files:

• 16.jpg
      16.jpg
      File size:
      18 KB
      Views:
    • 17.jpg
      17.jpg
      File size:
      55.4 KB
      Views:
    • 18.jpg
      18.jpg
      File size:
      87 KB
      Views:
    • 19.jpg
      19.jpg
      File size:
      42.5 KB
      Views:
  10. cheopsnet

cheopsnet Senior Member

A third guitar that he is considering is a 2005 lemondrop Murphy '59 Bigsby

Attached Files:

• 21.jpg
      21.jpg
      File size:
      60.5 KB
      Views:
    • 22.jpg
      22.jpg
      File size:
      80.9 KB
      Views:
    • 23.jpg
      23.jpg
      File size:
      30.4 KB
      Views:
    • 24.jpg
      24.jpg
      File size:
      80.5 KB
      Views:
    • 25.jpg
      25.jpg
      File size:
      22.2 KB
      Views:
  11. cheopsnet

cheopsnet Senior Member

To summarize, here is the choice available:
    CHOICE 1: 58 Custom Authentic (I believe it actually is NOT Yamano picked) $$$
    CHOICE 2: Murphy Aged 60 reissue with Hard Rock Maple top Yamano $$$$$
    CHOICE 3: 2005 lemondrop Murphy '59 Bigsby $$$$$

> Are they really what my friend told me they are?
    > Sound-wise, for a true old 59 sound, which one would you recommend?
    > Is there a particular rare guitar is this lot?
    > We like the flames of the 58, the Bigsby 59 one looks cool too. But we made some mistakes in the past, favoring the look and not emphasizing the luthier-side, namely the sound.

12. Liam

Liam V.I.P. Member

Now I think about it, pretty sure Custom Authentics did ship with Grovers rather than Klusons. And the '60 Murphy is obviously later than I thought, the "Aged" certificates being slightly out of sync in color with the "ordinary" ones.

Can't find much not to like about any of the guitars pictured. They'll all hold their value if your friend gets them for the right price and looks after them. The '60 Murphy would be my choice...

13. Liam

Liam V.I.P. Member

As for sound, no way of guessing until you hear the guitar. They are all different. Even knowing the weight doesn't help. It is VERY unlikely any of them will sound anything like a good '59 Burst. They just don't.

14. cheopsnet

cheopsnet Senior Member

Thanks Liam. What a tough choice! Both the 58 Custom Authentic and the 1960 Murphy Aged Hard Rock Maple Yamano look great.
    It is a hard choice. On the one hand, the stripes of the 58 are so cool to me, I also like the set of grovers. On the other, I feel that an opportunity would be miss if we let go the 60. I have heard only good things from Yamano picked instruments, everybody says they are among the best reissue you can get. On top of that, Murphy aged is a plus, especially when you want to play the instrument without fearing to ding it.
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHH I dont know...

15. Liam

Liam V.I.P. Member

And thereby hangs a tale...

In 2001 Gibson were struggling to get enough flamed maple of suitable quality for the tops of the R9s (1959 reissues). They therefore limited R9 production to (as close as I can remember) 1000 guitars. 500 for the USA, 500 for the rest of the world.

They made a LOT of R8s (1958 reissues) that year as a consequence. I know next to nothing about wood, but as well as the colours of the R8s from 2001 being different (butterscotch and lemondrop were the common ones), the tops are kind of different, with wider stripes, and someone that knows more about this stuff than me can confirm if it's even the same species of maple.

A Murphy aged Yamano R0 is at the other end of the spectrum in terms of rarity. Probably not quite as collectable as an R9 of the same specs would be, for some reason the '60 reissue has never caught on in quite the same way, but definitely a couple of levels up in terms of cool. And I think reflectors look great...

16. lesterp

lesterp Senior Member

I would go for the '58 Custom Authentic over most R9's.

The Grover tuners make the CA's a little different sounding then most Historics, and in my opinion, better.

As far as production totals. There were a lot of '58 R8's in 2001, but most were not "Custom Authentic".

17. Liam

Liam V.I.P. Member

Good point, something I hadn't thought about. And it does look good!

18. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Banned

I remember 2001 R9s were 800, and 2002 R9s were 300. 2001 and 2002 R8s literally were so numerous they grew on trees!

Figured or not R9s and R0s are more than R8s new, because the tops on R8s were generally of a lower grade than R9s and R0s in any given year. I like the 90s R8s in general however.

19. cheopsnet

cheopsnet Senior Member

Thanks to all of you.
    I might go for the 2001 '58 Custom Authentic. I understood all your good points about the look, rarity of this guitar versus the R0 Murphy Aged. But what about the quality of instruments?
    I know that you obsviously cannot predict. But there are models from the Custom Shop that totally sucks in general, and some that are recognized to be on overall good instruments. My ultimate goal is to play this guitar, not to admire the look of it (even though it is a perk). So I am mostly concerned about the wood and tonal quality of the instrument.

I finally have another question about the authenticity: the serial number of the 2001 '58 CA has numbers next to each other. I thought that usually, the first number on the left is a few spaces away from the rest. Here there are all net to each other. Is it normal? I do not want to buy a fake...
    Thanks

20. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Banned

If they make more than 999 R8s, they have to add a digit.