Your Help /Opinions needed

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by jamman, Aug 19, 2015.

1. jamman

jamman Premium Member

I'm considering purchasing this '68 335 . Asked for pics of the pickup cavities and backs of the Pups and got these back . It's suppose to be an all original ,no issue guitar . :hmm:

What happened here ? Look at the end of the board / Spline

[​IMG]

Also , Has Anyone see this ???

The color of the Bobbins mounting screws ..... I don't recall ever seeing that color before

[​IMG]

Clicking on the pics will get you to PB and click to get an even bigger pic that show even more detail .
    Any thoughts as to what the Experts, have seen and think about this guitar would be greatly appreciated . :thumb:

2. Greco

Greco Senior Member

It's highly possible that a piece of maple that was a bit too short was used behind the truss rod. It would be interesting to know if there was anything there at all, but it would have to have been lost or left out during construction if that's the case. Incidentally it doesn't serve much purpose in the function of the rod.

3. Left Paw

Left Paw Senior Member

It looks right to me. Recall that at the time, Gibson was cranking out guitars in highest production mode. You can expect anomalies during this period.

4. jamman

jamman Premium Member

Thanks guys ,I'm not well versed in later years(60's) Gibson's . I was thinking more of ,on the body below where the end of the spline "should have been" . It looks almost rounded out . I was thinking it may have been drilled or cut out for some unknown reason/repair .

Difficult to really tell from Pics because of the "No depth" aspect of pics . But I appreciate the other minds working to give me another outlook about it .:thumb:
    The guitar looks very nice , besides these small things . I'm very tempted .Very ....