Your Help Needed: Brazilian Board Content

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by Top Gun, Nov 6, 2017.

1. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

I don't doubt the legal requirement but I know they are not doing it Bernard; i.e. store to customer.

Apparently CD did the legal docs but I just don't see this trickling down to the actual customer Bernard.

When we move Timber to Australia, we make sure all our paperwork is rock solid & totally legal.

We even had to do it recently for Quilt / Flame Maple & Swamp Ash Shipments (not CITES, just ethical sourcing).

Cheers, Rudi

2. hoss

hoss Senior Member

So how is Wildwood going to sell Braz custom order Gibson guitars to customers, LEGALLY? They won't.
    Until somebody shoots Fish & Wildlife an email and then they won't even ship a guitar.

3. LenPaul

LenPaul Premium Member

if I had to choose one of those boards,, I'd pick the one 2nd from the left.

Pappy58 likes this.
  4. paulsrus

paulsrus Junior Member

So you got the DJ Nicky. I have the other one, a fantastic beast.

5. DrSte31n

DrSte31n Member

I don't think you need a CITES certificate when selling the guitar in the U.S?

"Once a shipment of rosewood or a guitar arrives legally at its destination country with proper CITES documentation, it can be sold and transferred within domestic borders without requiring additional permits." - https://www.taylorguitars.com/cites

I guess we trust Wildwood Guitars that the instruments are being legally sold, and Wildwood Guitars trusts Gibson Custom. And well, Gibson Custom dealt with the government at some point and obtained the permits to import the Brazilian rosewood. Unless the wood was imported pre-convention, as it has been suggested on the forums.

hoss likes this.
  6. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

The above is also what I understand to be the case.

:cheers2:

7. THDNUT

THDNUT Senior Member

:laugh2:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  8. hoss

hoss Senior Member

9. jamman

jamman Premium Member

the Reason you don't need the CITES document when shipping within the CONUSA 48 is it doesn't go through Customs inspection ....

10. hoss

hoss Senior Member

Here in Europe it would not be possible for a dealer or manufacturer to openly advertise Brazilian Rosewood.
    The authorities would be looking into it quickly and would want to see CITES certs, which often exist from old stock bought before 1992.
    In the US is is the same, I think.

11. antikue

antikue Senior Member

Do bear in mind that majority of (now regulated) rosewood is appendix II stuff - but Brazilian is appendix I. According to a master luthier local to me (who has Brazilian supply too), the possession of said wood necessitates CITES document too - not just exporting

hoss likes this.
  12. Clint

Clint Member

Hopefully none of this will get Gibson in trouble (again). Perhaps someone should check with the dealers and see what they say about paperwork.
    Regarding the OP's question, I don't personally care for any of those blanks and would ask for a piece that looks similar to the ones used for the WW run. In other words, strait grain and very dark. That is the closest you'll get to the look of most real bursts.
    For the amount you'll spend, just make sure it is exactly what you want.

13. DrSte31n

DrSte31n Member

The Taylor article does point differences between Appendix I and Appendix II. For example, you cannot travel with a BRW guitar as a personal item without the appropriate permit, because it’s Appendix I, but you can do so with Appendix II RW). But it doesn’t point out that difference in the paragraph I quoted above.

Personally, I trust Wildwood Guitars on this one (and CME, and HOG, and TMZ, etc). They have a great reputation, and I don’t think they would get themselves in trouble for only $250K (their actual gain is a lot less, of course) when they seem to be selling other high end/expensive guitars just as fine.

14. hoss

hoss Senior Member

Exactly.

15. lpthomas

lpthomas Senior Member

It is so weird that there's uncertainty at all. I cannot imagine anyone in the Custom Shop or at these dealers making such a fatal mistake, i.e. not including what might be necessary even just for possessing the instrument within the US. Sure, it's possible. But it would be extremely baffling.

DrSte31n and hoss like this.
  16. jlb32

jlb32 Senior Member

I really like some of those boards but personally I would ask for more examples and if you want one more uniform and dark then ask for it.

For a M2M Custom build you should get what you want. If one of those looks great to you then go for it. Do not rely on what others like or want. It's your money and your build. Go with what you like.

17. Sharp Dressed Man

Sharp Dressed Man Junior Member

I find this discussion really interesting. I tend to agree with @Frozen Rat. I find myself questioning my own judgment after reading all the comments above but I really like the fourth one along (2nd from right). I love the colour variation. And in reply to @DrSte31n, I prefer the CME boards to the Wildwood ones. But as @Frozen Rat rat says once you play it and your finger oils soak in and you lubricate the board with lemon oil etc, etc.

18. jamman

jamman Premium Member

Well in the USAS BRW has no , limit on interstate travel . I surprised to see the "in country" movement is restricted in any country .
    Don't know about outside the USA(not EU) But Sellers advertised online a guitar that has BRW with now Issue ... PRS has never stopped ... And is and long running option to use when doing a build ... Yeah , you PAY a bit extra for it .. but not K's more .. That's a Gibson thing .... HYPE .... Pickpocket
    mindset ... No more ,no less , imo ....

As far as traveling . the laws were updated for personal traveling with a guitar ... Read up as it's OK to do now with no issue from the USA Customs .... so you can carry in hand (on a plane trip out of Country ,back to the US with no issue)

Now, the Country you're going to might be a different story and should be checked into before you travel ... And i you not taking a Vintage and Old looking guitar . How many Customs Agents you think can tell the difference of types of RW ...on sight ???
    Exp . My last trip to Brazil , I went with 2 RW board guitars (a 2009 LP & 2014 ES 345) I wasn't asked about the Boards ,, he(The Customs agents Boss, was more concerned about the Values(were they NEW or not) ... and asked me what they were worth ... I laughed (in a friendly way at him) You or I are not obligated to help them Screw yourself ... End result ,,,After much talking(mostly my wife as I don't speak that much Portuguese ) We paid no tax on anything we were brought in .. And we had like 10 bags and the 2 guitars and 1 amp ....
    Next is the BIG move ..Everything ... That should be Loads of FUN :wow::lol: