Your Help Needed: Brazilian Board Content

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by Top Gun, Nov 6, 2017.

1. thinkgreen

thinkgreen Senior Member

If you want it dark go for ebony lol

2. toymaker

toymaker Senior Member

Of those - nothing pops as being "worth it" to me - the middle one has ok figuring, but there are nicer examples out there.

Would have to see in person, but if my choice was one of those on a 7k+ instrument, I'd pass pending better examples to choose from.

C_Becker likes this.
  3. Sharky

Sharky Senior Member

what's the upcharge for the brazzy option?

4. bossaddict

bossaddict Premium Member

Another vote the middle one if you're definitely going for one of those, but I would pass on all of them.

C_Becker likes this.
  5. JimmyAce2006

JimmyAce2006 V.I.P. Member

Easy there Rudi! You are stepping on my toes! I LOVE a dark board, and I won't have anything else! :) Of course, it also needs to be hard a as a rock and slick as glass, with very few pores.

I agree that you can not compare the pics from WW and CME. Different lighting.

RAG7890 likes this.
  6. Top Gun

Top Gun Senior Member

Thanks for all of your reply's. I'm still on the fence trying to decide if I want a super dark board or one with figuring. My Dave Johnson Nicky has a black Brazilian board. Hard to resist these...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  7. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

[​IMG]

:p :D

:cheers2:

8. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    jamman likes this.
  9. jriggio

jriggio Junior Member

I would find a nice dark Cocobolo fingerboard and send it to them. Some scientists say that quite a few Burst boards from 1959 were Cocobolo and not Brazilian.

10. jriggio

jriggio Junior Member

11. jriggio

jriggio Junior Member

stunning LP BTW.

12. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

I would want one with nice colour variation.....but then again I am known for not wanting 'accountant wood' - which is wood boring/geometric enough in flame or colour to suit an accountant's typical sensibility.

Frankly you have equal chances of picking something that will structurally/tonally suit the other unknown bits of wood that will comprise your guitar. If you feel strongly enough, get the builder to pick one using whatever means they use. At the worst its probably equally likely or unlikely as your 'straw drawing' cosmetic method.

13. hoss

hoss Senior Member

Gibson is offering Braz boards again? Is the buyer getting a CITES?

14. Guitarman12

Guitarman12 Junior Member

Well as a luthier I have read some complete and utter tripe on this thread. Do you guys really think Gibson picked out perfectly straight grained Black Rio Boards for their 58-60 sunbursts?. No they didn't is the short answer. They didn't particularly care. The model was their"standard" model and not a custom. Having worked with way more Brazilian than most of you guys ever get to see you would know oxidisation soon turns the wood black as yer hat. Even figured pieces soon colour up. Any ways here's is the rub..pretty much all the Brazilian Rosewood out there now IS illegally felled wood and is the dregs. I'd go for a really really nice straight grained old growth Indian Board any day over All of the above fingerboards....

Axiomatik, Jer and thinkgreen like this.
  15. thinkgreen

thinkgreen Senior Member

When we are having a gutar built to our own spec. Wouldn' you pic the woods that suit your taste. And the wood that makes your dream guitar. Not the one that most replicates one from the past. There are many of them already been built that that fit that category. This is your dream guitar. Your for ever axe. The one that has all the best bits and looks that you ever eaten. and shows your personality. Well in my opinion it is

16. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

You’re right but you’re also not quite right. :)

I have seen & handled enough BRW as Raw Wood & on Guitars to know that even Guitars built in the ‘50’s & ‘60’s with BRW don’t always have dark oxidised Boards.

I have owned some & played some.

The BRW Board on the GT I posted in the 2017 Gibson BRW R9 Thread came from a Victorian era Wash Stand, so about 140 years old.........& dark as.

[​IMG]

The BRW Board on my Custom Strat & Tele came to Australia sometime around 1970 - 1972. Both these Boards are not super Dark.

There are loads of well played Vintage Gibson’s that have Chocolate Brown Boards even after years & years of playing.

How about this one, 1949 ES125 from Danelectro’s recent FS Thread.

[​IMG]

I’ve seen the same thing with MGRW Boards that my Luthier here (& I) import (legally, with paperwork).

I’m sure as a Luthier you have seen variations from piece to piece regardless of the type of RW.

But yeah, I agree a great IRW Board is awesome..........way better than the bulk of the substandard IRW Boards that Gibson has used / is using.

Lastly, while the boards on offer are nothing to write home about I would think handling them personally would be paramount.

My 2c FWIW. :)

:cheers2:

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    Jer likes this.
  17. Sharky

Sharky Senior Member

yes, they do, M2M program IIRC, priced around 10 k!

sure, and the stork deliveres the babies and Santa is bringing the presents

18. mfolet

mfolet Senior Member

Picked my wood.

19. KOTR

KOTR Senior Member

+1 Let's see the maple.....

20. jamman

jamman Premium Member

OP , Hold out for the best looking, Darkest board, you can squeeeeeeeze ,,, out of Gibson :cheers:

With the process 1 needs to go through to get to this point, don't settle for anything less then exactly what you want ... A black as night Board .....

I agree with RAG about the color of Boards , Not all of them change to Black . I've been waiting for(years now) a few pieces i have drying out in Brazil to do that ,,,,, Darkened up ? Yes , Black ? not even close .

The Vintage 1960 Special I had, didn't . Beautiful board that never went black ...

I'm think about buying a Kiln ,,,,, :hmm:

RAG7890 likes this.