Your favourite Amps and Why?

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by noobyXD, Mar 8, 2018.

What Amp company guy/girl are you?

1. Hughes & Kettner

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  2. Marshall

41 vote(s)
    42.3%
  3. Fender

37 vote(s)
    38.1%
  4. Orange

13 vote(s)
    13.4%
  5. Freidman

7 vote(s)
    7.2%
  6. Blackstar

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  7. Peavy

6 vote(s)
    6.2%
  8. Laney

4 vote(s)
    4.1%
  9. Others

29 vote(s)
    29.9%
  10. Mesa

18 vote(s)
    18.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. noobyXD

noobyXD Member

So basically question is in the title.

I'm just curious on what are your favourite amp choices, company or specific models and why?

I've always been a fan of Orange Amps.... always seems to me they have been doing their own things, not trying to compete directly with the other companies, and they have been doing extremely well on their own.

Thus far my favourite amp that I ever tried and played has to be the OR15. Price to performance wise I feel that it's probably one of the best valued gear out there. Proper all valve, full of the classic British and Orange tone in one amp!

Other amps that I like are the Micro Terror, Marshall Plexi (super expensive) and the Fender Bassbreaker 15. H&K tubemiester 18 is good as well... cannot forget about that.

What about you guys?

2. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Senior Member

Amp-by-amp basis, not really a brand thing. Love my Champ, have had other Fenders I didn't like at all. Marshalls, even more so.

3. Lungo

Lungo Silver Supporter

I'm a little surprised that Mesa Boogie isn't on your list. I like the tones produced by other amps but if I had to pick just one and say that I'm a "company guy" it would be Mesa.

4. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

Same here. I used to prefer Fenders because of their cleans, and get my distortion from a dirtbox, but over the last ten years or so I'd rather have an amp with both those basics in it. So rather than this or that brand, I go with this or that amp.

My favorites of the ones I've owned have been an 83 Super Champ, and the Tweaker 15 I'm currently using.

5. noobyXD

noobyXD Member

Oh yea... well, the music I listen to don't think any of the guitarist uses mesa.... shall add it in haha

bulletproof and cherrysunburst00 like this.
  6. chupe442

chupe442 Confused as ever..... Premium Member

I love all my amps..

7. noobyXD

noobyXD Member

I know some people are really attached to certain branding/ brand amps while others are just using whatever that's good

But to everyone here, what's the 1 special amp that you'll always gravitate towards to?

bulletproof and cherrysunburst00 like this.
  8. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Life started with me and Fender amps. They are the benchmark of tone - especially cleans - for me. I can always get it done with a Fender - especially a Blackface.

However, I only need ONE amp to bring a smile to my face. Once I found it, it became - not only MY tone - the only amp that really ever satisfied me.

The Rivera M100 (part of the M/S series)

These days I still keep an S120 head and 2x10 cab around. The Rivera gives me my "Fender" cleans (and much more) plus a variety of killer drive sounds. There aren't many styles I can't cover with the amp. I do think it's ugly, but it sounds AMAZING!!!!

Stuff, bulletproof, JohnnyN and 3 others like this.
  9. Stinky Kitty

Stinky Kitty Senior Member

I think I love my 68 Bandmaster drip edge the most. Just acquired an AC15C1, and it's moved into a very, very close second (vying with the Marshall, which has my fave singing lead tones with just a touch of reverb.) My grab and go for tasks like leaving at my gal's place is an Epi Valve Jr - surprisingly warm, and versatile, simple little amp that takes pedals really well.

The Phazes rock tits, and I do love them, but they are lower wattage, albeit Randy watts, but lack the headroom of the Bandmaster and Vox. They really do have super sweet tones. The Corona channel of the duo sound is amazing, and the SIBLY side is a capable contender, as is the 5 watt JTM. Something about a smaller amp screaming its guts out..

There are a few others, so long story short, they each have a voice and play a role in the overall.

If I had to pick two for the desert island, it would be the Bandmaster and the AC15. Forced to pick just one, it would be the Bandmaster.

P.S. Why isn't Vox on your list?

bulletproof, JohnnyN, noobyXD and 3 others like this.
  10. chupe442

chupe442 Confused as ever..... Premium Member

My peavey Classic 30. Somewhere between Fender clean and Marshal drive for me.

11. NorlinBlackBeauty

NorlinBlackBeauty Senior Member

Aye! I am completely biased.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  12. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

What a GREAT thread idea; I love these kind of threads. Heck yeah on that OR15. Fantastic amp, amd at low volumes too.

As a brand, I guess I would say Marshall would be my fave because so very much of what I like was recorded through them (except for Sabbath :naughty:). And I finally found THE Marshall I always wanted since the mid 90s (SL5).

But in terms of quality, meeting MY needs, sound, etc. I have to list 2 "never gettin' rid of" amps: Friedman PT-20 and Carr Mercury (original, though I'd really like a Mercury V as well)

jojo, bulletproof and JohnnyN like this.
  13. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

I have two Fender's that have been with me for quite a while.
    Almost bought a Marshall once, a hybrid combo.
    Most Marshall's I have tried were way too loud and the 30-40 watts didn't speak to me.

So, I guess I'm a Fender type!

14. Pappy58

Pappy58 Senior Member

I can't really answer the question as presented. I like many vintage amps, (Pre-CBS, JTM, 60's Ampegs etc)...but very few "Modern Amps"..... (Mesa has had some good runs, and the p2p Fender and Marshall re-issues), but the pricing is not digestible. I do Like the Dr Z stuff, but it's way more Vintage than Modern.

15. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Senior Member

This is, and will always be, my favorite amp.

champy1.jpg

16. Dick Banks

Dick Banks Senior Member

Mesa Boogie. Seriously tight cleans, dirties up nicely, reverbs are OUTSTANDING, and a model to fit just about everyone. My favorite is the Mark IV.

bulletproof, KP11520, JohnnyN and 3 others like this.
  17. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

I started out with a Sears Silvertone tube amp with 15" speaker back in '59. It got nice big round tones, BUT the speaker cone would blow at gig volumes. Been looking for that tone since then through Fender, Carvin, and Mesa, Genz-Benz, and Bugera but no dice. Then I ordered a Soul Tramp Wraith head and hooked it up to two 1X12 cabs, and bingo! Got that big, round tone in an amp that WILL withstand gig volumes and more. They are custom built amps that the builder (Don Hills from this forum) can voice the way you want. It is my last amp.

18. bad565ss

bad565ss Senior Member

Marshall Model 1987 JMP. Articulate and responsive and can get as nasty as you want.

19. Gridlock

Gridlock Senior Member

My Marshall Astoria Custom is currently number one.

Love my Fender amps (and Fender guitars), but with a band, it has always been a Marshall and a Les Paul.

60E497AA-1535-43C8-9AD7-912D663715D3.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  20. Leña_Costoso

Leña_Costoso Senior Member

Some really good Fender amps I own (owned... long story).

The brown Princeton, with original C10Q was pretty special
    Oddly, a first run Blues Jr was too. In fact the two of those played in parallel was even better then either alone.

Ended up selling or trading the BJ, cant remember.

The Blackface Super Reverb, with Celestion Vintage 10's really does wonders

The little 5F1 Champs, with Eminence 12ALK's or Legend 10 Alnico are special in their own right.

And the sleeper of the bunch, was the Sovtek Mig 60. That amp just nailed "plexi". Should have never gotten rid of it. Inside it was ok built too. Not great, but decent and serviceable.

Right now, just for me, a 5F4 with Celestion G10Vintage (that are finally smoothing out a bit). It gets the job done, is more versatile than folks let on, as the bass and treble controls are really wide ranged. Great for single coils - aka - P90's, or scooped HB's (Seth Lovers, 57 Classic, Antiquities, etc)

bulletproof, JohnnyN, Pappy58 and 2 others like this.