Your Favorite Strat Pickups?

Discussion in 'Fender' started by jonesy, Mar 17, 2012.

1. maverick08

maverick08 Senior Member

I had the 57/62 set originally in my '62 HR. I found them quite uninspiring to be honest. Clean tones were ok, but quite muddy and inarticulate when you add some gain. I haven't tried the cs 69s but I'm not really impressed by most of fenders offerings.
    I am currently using a lollar blackface set and it's like night and day. Great usable tone in all positions, really articulate with nice bite. Check them out if you get a chance, I also hear the blondes are quite nice for a lower wind, 50s vibe.

2. freddarl82

freddarl82 Senior Member

I know Jonesy's already got his CS69's and 57/62's to play with, but I thought I'd throw in that I have been pleasantly surprised by a set of Duncan Antiquity II Surf pickups (with the "standard," not "custom" bridge). They stand up very well to my JM Rolph 59's, which I consider to be the ultimate Strat pup. That said, I'm not sure I would pay the going rate of $230 for a new set, when I could pay a few dollars more for another set of Rolphs. As it was, I scored a pretty good deal on ebay for this used set: $135.

BTW, I've also used the 57/62's and Lollar Blackfaces:
    57/62: Similar reaction to maverick. They're OK, certainly better than Fender's "standard" offerings, Cleans pretty good, distorted not 3-D at all.
    Blackfaces: a very nice pup, but not the flavor I was looking for. They're definitely wound a little hotter. An analogy (not perfect, I admit) in the humbucker world would be comparing a Duncan 59 to a JB. The Blackfaces, sort of like one might describe a JB, are indeed articulate and have a nice bite, but they do not have the vintage-y "chime" of a vintage (late 50's, early 60's) pup, IMO. That's what the Blonds are designed for, AFAIK. Jason winds a great pup -- I think the Blackfaces are meant to get closer to the mid to late 60's sounds. Again, great pup, but I find I prefer the earlier vintage sounds...

Edit: looking at Lollar's website, the Blackfaces are described as emulating the "pre-CBS" fender pup. I stand by my opinion of the chime-factor.

3. coldsteal2

coldsteal2 V.I.P. Member

nice looking hunk of wood!

4. colchar

colchar Banned

Complimenting another man's wood eh?

:naughty:

5. colchar

colchar Banned

So how are you liking them now that some time has passed? Are they giving you the vintage Strat tones you were after?

6. 2120southmichigan

2120southmichigan Senior Member

7. music to my ears

music to my ears Senior Member

"noiseless".....sorry.:D

8. dave

dave Senior Member

Really don't like my Texas Specials.

9. leftyguitarman

leftyguitarman Senior Member

I've tried almost every Fender single coil they currently make and I've tried several of the GFS sets. I was a die hard Texas Special fan for a long time, but they really aren't good pickups with gain, IMO. Clean, they are phenomenal.

I got a set of Reilander Vintage Scoops with symmetrical stagger and I'm never going back. Reilanders are awesome. I'm actually playing my Strat with them right now :D

Reilander Custom Guitar, Hand Wound Pickups

10. colchar

colchar Banned

I was leaning towards the Fender CS '69s but these are intriguing as I like the idea of being able to support a small Canadian business.

11. sj250

sj250 Senior Member

After checking out his site and reading up on them I think I'm gonna go ahead and order some. :thumb:

12. colchar

colchar Banned

His prices seem great!

13. gilmourjunkie

gilmourjunkie Senior Member

The guy from Picker's Parts, Jose, wound me a set of Gilmour's that really kicked ass. Like the 54's in the neck/middle and overwound in the bridge. He sent me the conversation he had with Gilmour's team about the wire he used, etc. Pretty cool stuff. I regret letting that set go with a guitar I sold.

Right now I have a set of Lawrence (wildeusa.com) pickups in my Tokai 56 copy that are really pretty darn good for budget pickups (adjust them they way they say in the instructions or they sound weak). I may replace the bridge with a SSL5. Being nitpicky I don't like that the covers can't be removed on the Bill Lawrence but the quality is very very good for $80/set. Remember this is the guy who wound pickups for a lot of famous people... and I think he designed Fender's new noiseless set.

http://wildepickups.com/

14. Grand Pappy

Grand Pappy Senior Member

I traded a very pretty Tele parts caster for a Strat parts caster w/a rosewood board, in white. Really beat up, nicely reliced w/a poplar body and loaded w/ a set of Chevalier '67's. Never heard of them before, but they kick ass!
    I really like the whole guitar, plays great w/super classic Stat tone.
    Chevalier Pickups - Vintage and custom wound single coils.

15. leftyguitarman

Colchar, sj250, Mike's prices are going up at the beginning of May. Even with the price increase, his pickups are still an excellent value. So get em while they're still super low priced. You won't be disappointed.

I did a big review of the Reilanders on Strat-Talk if you want to have a look over there.

16. colchar

colchar Banned

Cool.

Care to link it here or are you using the same user name over there (in which case it will be easy to find)?

17. leftyguitarman

18. 1958ri

1958ri Member

I just adore my Tonerider Pure Vintage Pups.

Quiet,melodic,precise ( wow,made in China ) ??

19. MrRhoads

MrRhoads Senior Member

I love that neck pickup, the bridge i find to thin.
    Nice mix with Alnico 5 & 3 as well.
    I think they moved the production last year to England

20. sj250

sj250 Senior Member

You'll have to let me know how you like them if you get a set. I just scored a set of Fender Custom Shop 60's this morning so I'm done for a while. They're not available separately and hardly ever pop up for sale so I couldn't pass them up.