Your Favorite Strat Pickups?

Discussion in 'Fender' started by jonesy, Mar 17, 2012.

1. thinkgreen

thinkgreen Senior Member

they look cool. can't wait for the vid:thumb:

2. Gryphon

Gryphon Senior Member

The CS69s come stock in the CP60's. I have a 2006 CP60 with the "AY" signed CS69s in it and it sounds very chimey when clean and scooped when cranked.

I think they are only about 5.4k ohm so they dont push the amp too hard. They are distinctly sweeter and warmer than the pickups in my AMSE. I'm selling the AMSE and keeping the CP60..

I think you'll like them too

3. JMV

JMV Senior Member

Jonesy, can you PM me your address? I have something cool to send you in the spirit of this thread. :thumb:

1 person likes this.
  4. thinkgreen

thinkgreen Senior Member

ive just got my cp60, the pickups are not made in the custom shop any more for this guitar. but made to same spec. mine look and sound the same but made in mexico.

5. chupe442

chupe442 Confused as ever..... Premium Member

MHD baby!! Did not like the stock American Standard pups at all. Hooked up with Rayne. Not sure what he calls them. I believe they are moddled after Gary Moores 62/64 a little hotter in the bridge. They not noiseless but quieter than the stockers and I couldnt be happier with my strat now.

Attached Files:

6. jonesy

jonesy GLOBAL WIRING GURU MLP Vendor

As of sometime in 2011 she is no longer winding them.

7. classic

classic Senior Member

Building (assembling) MY Strat I'd decided to go for VanZandt Blues with blender mod ... purchased the set from ACME.

[​IMG]

I love their sound ...
    They’re absolutely clear sounding pups, no hum because the middle pup is RW-wound for hum cancelling … a huge, huge midrange tone spectrum with articulated basses and warm high mids – no trebly, ice picking or harsh sounding tones are coming from these pups.
    Very clean but with lots of mid range punch, crisp low end and plenty of high end - not thin or jangly at all.
    Although – if you’re playing the bridge pup alone in the #1 position it has enough highs to cut through …
    If you remember David Gilmour’s solo on ‘Shine on You Crazy Diamond’ … that would describe the sound of these pups approximately.

1 person likes this.
  8. IndySouthPaw

IndySouthPaw Senior Member

Jonesy I have this exact guitar. Its the one I lost in Europe for 6 years and I got it back this Xmas. I got on here to ask the same question. Tons of great info thanks for asking. David Gilmore is my fav for strats but it would be nice to get those Hendrix tones too don't hate me but I would really like a John Mayer sound as well. You will have to let me know if one set could cover all of these tones.

1 person likes this.
  9. IndySouthPaw

IndySouthPaw Senior Member

What is that lurking on the background........Is that Jonesy's Fuzz? I love it hahahaaha! NIce vid man. That red llama is sick!

1 person likes this.
  10. colchar

colchar Banned

The Custom Shop '69s and the Fat '50s are very intriguing and are ones I will definitely have to look at.

11. jonesy

Hey that's cool Indy. I remember you telling me about that Strat. Glad you finally got it back. I think the JM pickups actually have more "scooped mids" compared to the CS 69' set, but they do cover a lot of ground..

12. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

the CS69s are probably my favorite, they represent my favorite era of Strats (Hendrix, Gilmour, Blackmore, etc) I replaced the 69s in my current strat with Hot Noiseless pickups and favored those for a while (still like them) but now I find myself longing for the 69s again, I wish I never sold them. Makes for a good reason to buy a new Strat though :D

1 person likes this.
  13. 1958ri

1958ri Member

I am gunna use surfaris for this one.Its a 1pce Ash,Snow Trans finish.

Making a L series Surf Strat...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PS,i love your 2tone Strat....

1 person likes this.
  14. Gin&Pentatonic

Gin&Pentatonic Senior Member

I've got the Callaham H/SRV pickups in two of my Strats and I love them. Very hot and thumpy. Having a base plate on the bridge pickup really helps. From looking at his website and his descriptions of his products, I think Bill is kind of an arrogant prick, but he right about one thing. So much of your tone comes from your hands. Keep that in mind.

15. Mr.Paul

Mr.Paul Senior Member

I am wondering that nobody mentioned Van Zandt Pups!
    Simply the best Strat pups out there.
    If you're looking non boutique definitely go with Fender CS '69.
    But boutique and tone wise Van Zandt rules.
    I have the True Vintage set with a Vintage plus in the bridge.
    Original late 50's to early 60's strat sound.
    I can also recommend a complete True Vintage Plus set.
    And if you like it hotter go with the Blues set.
    But honestly the True Vintage set is as close to "the" Strat tone as you can get!

16. cherrick

cherrick Senior Member

17. jonesy

I have used several of Zhangs Tele bridge pickups (Tar paper & Paul Bunyan) and they sounded awesome. Never had a chance to try out his Strat pickups though.

18. blueflamingo

blueflamingo Senior Member

With full copper shielding, I love the CS69's. They are probably my favorite all around fender pups. Although when I need silence, I have another strat with vintage noiseless. Then when I want more bite I use my USA strat with texas specials. When all those fail, The fat 50's that are in my blue flower strat. I guess to answer the question, it really depends what you're going for, and it's pretty subjective.

19. classic

classic Senior Member

Look at the 3. page ... scroll down pls !

20. 121064

121064 Banned

Ron Ellis 50/60. Nothing else comes close.