Your Favorite Overdrive or Distortion pedal !

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by BOBBO, Sep 15, 2007.

1. Richie555

Richie555 Senior Member

2. antei

antei Senior Member

Jack can talk Thai!

3. guitar_randy

guitar_randy Senior Member

I have yet to find one I like.I have one,a boss od-3,but to me it kills the tone of my tube amp.I only use it once in a while while practicing to keep volume down because I don't have an attenuator.To me a pedal cannot duplicate the tone of an overdriven tube amp.Using a pedal just kills the tone.

4. Gibsonblues

Gibsonblues Senior Member

Gotta agree! The OCD is still about my favorite besides running up the preamps. G ....

5. jimmypagefan94

jimmypagefan94 Junior Member

a long time ago I had this ancient '60s Fuzz Face.
    Being the dumbass I am I sold it to buy this shitbox SG that I sold two days later for like half the price I bought it for.

6. centerfield24

centerfield24 Senior Member

Yep. I have an OCD as well. Good pedal!

7. Gibsonblues

Absolutely! G....

8. PraXis

PraXis V.I.P. Member

I highly recommend combining the v4 OCD and a monte allums modded Boss GE-7 EQ.

9. BONEDADDY

BONEDADDY Senior Member

BB preamp, HAO Rust Driver, and Barber Tone Pump.
    [​IMG]

10. Gibsonblues

What is the mod on this one? Gibsonblues... :)

11. PraXis

PraXis V.I.P. Member

This is from monte's site and I'll comment afterwards:

"This is very handy tone shaping tool to have on your pedal board. This is actually a very nice sounding EQ right off the shelf. But it suffers from excessive noise as a result of the cheaper components Boss uses. With this mod we replace the cheaper noisy op-amp chips with low noise higher quality chips.

Lower quality capacitors are also replaced reducing noise even more and also adding a more focused Hi-Fi tone to the circuit. Noise is substantially reduced and the signal is passed through preserving the original tone of your guitar. The bypass circuit is also much improved. You will not find a better mod than this anywhere for the GE-7! You'll be shocked at the improvement this mod will make on this pedal."

But I got the plus kit

This is exactly the same mod as my popular GE-7 mod but with my new Chip Adapter Mod with a Burr Brown OPA2134PA opamp. I am also supplying sockets for the RC4559P opamps so you can swap them out if you like. Also included is a Super Bright White LED. If you thought my regular GE-7 mod was quiet wait until you hear the GE-7 with a OPA2134PA opamp in the circuit. This pedal now passes pristine clean signal from the input to the output. This is one awesome tone-shaping tool after this mod! Clarity and focus is unbelievably good. As a clean boost it doesn't get any better than this.

Basically, after doing the mod, I got MUCH less noise when using it as a boost, and the tone-shaping just improves a crapload! I like pairing it with the OCD to get a metal tone, but I can also use it boost mids and get marshall goodness.

The op-amp swaps are key to this mod.

I spent so much time just playing with the GE-7 + OCD I COMPLETELY lost track of time!!!! The next day, I used it with just the clean channel and some flange/phase here and there, and again, lost track of time!!!

This mod makes the ge-7 about as good or better as the MXR EQ, in terms of versatility.

12. coldsteal2

coldsteal2 V.I.P. Member

got some great pedals there

13. Zool

Zool Member

Right now it is my Barber Direct Drive.

14. BOBBO

BOBBO Banned

15. Jason

Jason Senior Member

Had a Boss Metalzone years ago when I was into that sort of thing. I just ordered a Digitech Bad Monkey... so we'll see how that goes.

16. PraXis

PraXis V.I.P. Member

The metal zone is an extremely versatile pedal with the right mods. I did the monte allums mod on it and it has three main modes (3-way switch).. one sounds like a mesa, one like a marshall and the other a smoooooooooth and creamy OD.

17. Jason

Jason Senior Member

Yea even stock it could do quite a bit really, more than you'd think by the name. Too bad i gave the damn thing away to a good friend... who subsequently sold it when he got hooked on meth.

I've got one of the old Toneworks for right now to get some of those solid state albeit digital OD sounds... can't wait to fire up the Bad Monkey though!

18. heavy blueser

heavy blueser Senior Member

i use a digitech bad monkey
    od pedal, which is cheap ts knock off but still a rather good one
    it really comes close

and hell, even gary moore used it on its pedal board
    so it cannot be that bad

a klon centaur is still high on my wishlist(kudos to you bobbo)

19. Bordeaux

Bordeaux Senior Member

I have a Boss DS-1, Bad Monkey and just picked up the EHX Metal Muff (very nice, love the Top Boost). The DS-1 is my least favorite, I've never been able to get a good tone out of this thing. The Bad Monkey is good for giving me that nice breakup without going over the top.

I almost picked up the Blackstar HT Series HT-DISTX when I was buying the MM but for the price, I just couldn't bring myself to doing it. I played both MM and the Blackstar side by side and to my ears, the MM sounded just as good if not better. I ended up buying the MM plus I picked up the EHX Small Clone.

20. mrpesca

mrpesca Senior Member

Me too. Not as transparent as I originally thought but still very nice. A lot of adjustment and great for bedroom level drive without waking the dead. Going to test it with my cousin's JCM 800 although that amp really doesn't need any pedals.