Your Favorite Overdrive or Distortion pedal !

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by BOBBO, Sep 15, 2007.

1. VintageToneQuest61

VintageToneQuest61 Senior Member

I'm new to LP's and OD\Distortion pedals. What worked and sounded good with a Strat is altogether different with my LP. I have a small boat-load of OD pedals and was looking for two sounds.

One was just a good boost to light OD tone and the other would be a good OD to Crunch tone. I wanted to get both sounds out of one, 2-channel pedal (preferably) or two pedals (max).

Of all I tried, the best sound that I could get out of a dual channel pedal was the Barber Custom Shop Dual Discrete. Mine has the Direct Drive on one side and the Direct Drive Low Gain on the other. The channels work independantly of each other or cascading. On the inside are 9 trim pots and adjustments to shape the tone. I've got it dialed in real good.

VtQ~61

2. ASG

ASG Senior Member

Can't beat a good driven tube pre amp.
    My fav is a Mesa Boogie Triaxis.

Power amp overdrive is gorgeous too ... try an old Simulclass 295 switched to class A only ... very creamy.

If you want an excellent clean booster to OD your tubes more then save $700 and buy a Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster rather than a Kon job.

Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster: Harmony Central User Reviews

3. ptate

ptate V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

I've got a Japanese Boss HM2- crap; a Boss DS1- crap; an Ibanez Tubescreamer- better, but still crap and a couple of Zoom multi-effect boxes. Plus I drive the pre-amps on my JCM800 2204 (original) and AVT 50 Tribute. Problem is, all of them sound weak and thin; so I built my own tribute pedal (covers OD and high gain) with an electronics genius mate of mine. It's simply called the RR and boosts the mids and highs whilst offering some additional clarity.
    Used it at band rehearsal this weekend and everyone said the combination of my white LP custom, pedal and Marshall sounded amazing. Can't ask for better than that.

4. lifele55

lifele55 Senior Member

Clips needed.. ;)

5. ptate

Lifele55,

They're being sorted out at the moment, so I'll post when they're on the site.
    :dude::dude::dude:

6. lifele55

lifele55 Senior Member

:thumb:

7. ptate

Hey Lifele55...:dude:

Well, the sound clips of the RR1 distortion pedal should be posted on my website tomorrow evening as MP3 files:

www.pnpmusic.co.uk

Sorry about the ridiculously poor playing (it really is sh*t...!!). All I used was my LP Custom, into the pedal then straight into the PC. I used the basic Microsoft XP recording package to collect the sound (the one in the start menu!). They were one hit takes and didn't want to use any amps, effects or other means of changing the signal as it wouldn't be representative of the pedals actual tone.

There are five clips of the pedal distortion at various levels and one of a sound bite on full tilt (with the MS echo facility added).

Don't know whether I should ask for comments.......:hmm::hmm::shock:

8. ptate

Sound clips are on there in the "Products", RRT1 page, labelled "Sounds" (at the top).

Take it easy.

:dude::fingersx::dude:

9. lifele55

lifele55 Senior Member

Hmm, I like the full on distortion :D.. though it would do the pedal so much more justice if you re-record with a proper recording rig IMO ;)

10. ptate

Cheers Lifele55.

I'm going to record using my JCM shortly, so it can be heard in context.

:dude:

11. dynabite

dynabite Senior Member

I got a Brit Boost today 12AU - sounds great :dude:

12. Rikochet

Rikochet Senior Member

for me its the boss mt-2 metal zone, since my tube amp can't reach the amount of gain i want with just its overdrive, i have to use the metal zone on the clean channel of my amp

13. Splattle101

Splattle101 V.I.P. Member

I know this is resurrecting an ancient post in this long-running thread, but it makes a really key point.

The pedal in question is an MI Audio Crunch Box, which is a really high gain Brit voiced pedal.

Bobbo didn't like it through his JCM800 combo. I'm frankly not surprised since the JCM800 has a master vol and pre amp vol and it's probably quite distorted already. You don't need more clipping into the front of that amp, you want line level.

Lexthuthier got is sounding great through a Plexi clone. Non-mv amp. Crunch Box's preferred territory.

The point I'm making is, regardless of which pedal you're talking about, the kind of amp you put it into and the types of sounds you try to get out of it will determine whether a pedal will work for you or not.

There's just no substitute for testing them yourself with your own amp.

14. MaidenStrat02

MaidenStrat02 Senior Member

I actually use the Electro Harmonix LPB-1 cranked all the way up. It slams the front end of my DSL50 without any noise, tonal changes or tone suckage. It's true bypass and cheap. I also have a TS-808 clone that I built from General Guitar Gadgets. I put the Keely and AMZ mods in it also. I used this for along time with the settings at volume=max,tone=noon, and drive=off. It still colored my tone (midrangey) so I tried the LPB-1 and along with my MXR 108 EQ it the only pedals I really need.

15. warhed

warhed Member

MXR ZW-44. Yeah the Zakk Wylde pedal. But that is not why I bought it. I just liked the sound.

16. ExpatBrit

ExpatBrit Senior Member

TS808 reissue with the distortion control on 0 into a V4 OCD in HP mode - heaven:thumb: