Your Favorite Overdrive or Distortion pedal !

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by BOBBO, Sep 15, 2007.

1. PraXis

PraXis V.I.P. Member

I think the stock DS-1 is a piece of poo. The ultra/SEM keeley mod (free instructions available online - keeley allows it) turns that pedal into a MONSTER!... all for $5-6! :D

2. Bordeaux

Bordeaux Senior Member

Yeah, I've heared alot of good things regarding the keeley mods. At this point, with the Metal Muff and Bad Monkey on my board, the DS-1 will more than likey just get benched. I even offered it to my son and he simply shook his head. Can't give this thing away.:laugh2:

3. riles6789

riles6789 Senior Member

currently the BB preamp

4. lifele55

lifele55 Senior Member

Lol your son doesn't want it? I'll take it! :D

Call me nuts but I changed pedals again... I went from the uber metal to the reezafratzitz and the reeza was a good unit, but no matter how i tweaked it, it was either too bright or it just gets drowned out in the mix.

So, I went to.....

[​IMG]

Yes... the uber metal again. ;)

5. Bordeaux

Bordeaux Senior Member

Well since I ended up getting the VS Spot 1 combo pack and batteries are no longer an issue, I have the DS-1 back in line. It's actually quit spicey in a combo with my MM, although it is a bit noisy.

My son likes the really heavy pedals (he loves my MM) so the DS-1 just doesn't do it for him.

6. lifele55

lifele55 Senior Member

+1 on the 1spot. I'm using one as well and its doing a damn fine job so far. I might want to get a PP2 next time but I can't justify paying 4-5 times more than my 1spot when its already doing a good job on its own.

7. BOBBO

BOBBO Banned

8. Darkburst

Darkburst Senior Member

OCD Version 4. I can get JCM 800 style tones in HP mode and the LP mode sounds like my 50w Plexi clone cranked!

9. BOBBO

BOBBO Banned

My fave & only !!

[​IMG]

10. madams17

madams17 Senior Member

If I have to use a box (as opposed to amp distortion) I use the Marshall Guv'nor 2.

11. GuitarnLax36

GuitarnLax36 Senior Member

I am using a new fulltone OCD version 4 that I got a few weeks ago. I traded my xotic effects ac booster for it the ac was a great pedal but not really what i was looking for I had it for a few years but it couldnt really produce that tight marshall like sound that I wanted. The OCD when i took it for a test drive amazed me and after reading all of the comments and seeing the demos on youtube I had to have it. I played a fender blues junior 15w amp through the OCD and a 1969 Es 335 (not mine was at the store haha its such a nice guitar) and to see what the ocd could do i cleaned up the blues junior and then put a little drive on the ocd and the volume knob full up when i hit the pedal i was BLOWN AWAY. I could literally get a cranked marshall type tone from the 60s from this tiny little pedal also with the hp switch you can get less gained fender type bassman tones. TOTALLY AWESOME pedal I highly reccommend the OCD. The AC booster was great but it couldnt do all that much but the OCD does everything for me i love it. It was sick too because I play through a blues junior and i was so happy that i could demo it through my amp and it sounded so good haha

12. zontar

zontar Senior Member

I love my Boss DS-1 & the DF-2.
    The distortion is the same on both, but the DF-2 has the feedback function--more a novelty, than a real useful option--but it's fun, so I like it.

I usually hook both up, and set one on a sharp distortion, and the other real fuzzy--so I can use either one--or both for a wall of noise. If I want a warmer distortion I hookup my DOD Classic Tube.

I've jammed with several guitarists who seem skeptical of me when I plug the DF-2 into a Roland JC-60--they think I won't compete soundwise--but after jamming they want to try it out themselves.

13. rideski

rideski Senior Member

These treads are killing me....I had to run out and buy a RAT Deucetone after reading this thread this morning. I needed something for my new Blackheart anyways... I use the amp drive on JCM however..

RAT: Home of the Pro Co RAT Distortion Pedal

Oh my god she sounds amazing! Very flowy and singing od/distrotion. I'm really impressed..

14. zplapplap

zplapplap Senior Member

1. OCD v.4
    2. Pro Co RAT 2

15. Gibsonblues

Gibsonblues Senior Member

Right now, the Brownie... Gibsonblues

16. sapi

sapi Senior Member

I got the Keeley TS 808, TS9DX, BD-2. I want to get the Fuzz Head and TMB. And try the TS9 Deluxe 18v.

17. Physical_rocks

Physical_rocks Senior Member

I just go this yesterday, I haven't had much time to fiddle with it but I love it already, amazing clean boost.

[​IMG]

18. alpinestudio

alpinestudio Senior Member

I'm going to have to semi retract my statement on the DS-1. I had bought 2 used DS-1's planning to modify both as I had a stock one before, sold it for almost free because I practically hated it . Anyways, out of the 2 I bought there's older version..early Taiwan issued, which I hear has some of the same components as early Japanese ones ie different chip, etc. The other is the newer DS-1's that we all love and mostly hate. Between the 2, it's like night and day. After doing an extensive A/B, the older DS-1 was much smoother, sustained better, more articulate, had more mids and had more hair than the newer one. I'd have to say the older version just rocks. Never have I heard a more natural sounding distortion pedal in a ds-1 that doesn't sound so fake as the newer or latest versions.

19. ozone

ozone Senior Member

I love my modded ts9 (808 specs). I also offset my gain alittle on my amp.

20. monkeyboy

monkeyboy Senior Member

I like my GT-500

[​IMG]